• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior promotions and appointments

It is nice to see how meritorious CDS appointments are 🤣🤣

I always worry when folks try to explain away certain facts with conspiracies.

The dismissive tone she took to Vance’s issues kind of blew that lawyers credibility to me and I shut it off

The Globe and Mail says "The federal government has narrowed the list of candidates to succeed General Wayne Eyre as chief of the defence staff to two, with Lieutenant-General Jennie Carignan among the front-runners, three sources say.

She’s part of a pool of at least four possible successors whose names are circulating in the defence community and the Department of National Defence, according to the sources.

These include Major-General Paul Prévost, Major-General Steve Boivin and Vice-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie. The Globe and Mail is not identifying the sources because they were not authorized to discuss the succession process publicly."

The Globe and Mail says "The federal government has narrowed the list of candidates to succeed General Wayne Eyre as chief of the defence staff to two, with Lieutenant-General Jennie Carignan among the front-runners, three sources say.

She’s part of a pool of at least four possible successors whose names are circulating in the defence community and the Department of National Defence, according to the sources.

These include Major-General Paul Prévost, Major-General Steve Boivin and Vice-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie. The Globe and Mail is not identifying the sources because they were not authorized to discuss the succession process publicly."

Only because Smol says it probably shouldn't happen, I'm looking forward to the appointment of our first female CDS ;)

Smol: A woman as Chief of the Defence Staff? Not yet, Canada​

Capable women can certainly fill the role — but if appointed anytime soon, they'll be cleaning up years of messes created by male political and military leadership.

The military remains, and unfortunately will remain for the foreseeable future, a male-dominated institution. The first female CDS will undoubtedly have already proven herself to be a strong and capable leader. Yet if appointed now, at a time of heightened institutional stress and crisis, she will have to balance the unsteady male-dominated culture of the institution she represents with what will likely turn out to be the unrealistic expectations of politicians and the public to make everything right immediately and make everyone (inside and outside of the military chain of command) happy in every way — regardless of where the Forces may be going.

That list is awfully short on a lot of things.

I am suprised to not see LGen Allen (current VCDS) in the running.

Only because Smol says it probably shouldn't happen, I'm looking forward to the appointment of our first female CDS ;)

Smol: A woman as Chief of the Defence Staff? Not yet, Canada​

Capable women can certainly fill the role — but if appointed anytime soon, they'll be cleaning up years of messes created by male political and military leadership.

The military remains, and unfortunately will remain for the foreseeable future, a male-dominated institution. The first female CDS will undoubtedly have already proven herself to be a strong and capable leader. Yet if appointed now, at a time of heightened institutional stress and crisis, she will have to balance the unsteady male-dominated culture of the institution she represents with what will likely turn out to be the unrealistic expectations of politicians and the public to make everything right immediately and make everyone (inside and outside of the military chain of command) happy in every way — regardless of where the Forces may be going.

I think I started the thread on that article but I’m pretty sure that LGen Carignan knows what she’d be getting into.

I think I started the thread on that article but I’m pretty sure that LGen Carignan knows what she’d be getting into.

Yes, given the current government's favourite approach, I believe this would be a good definition ;)

virtue signaling​

noun

variants or virtue signalling or less commonly virtue-signaling
ˈvər-(ˌ)chü-ˈsig-nə-liŋ
or virtue-signalling
: the act or practice of conspicuously displaying one's awareness of and attentiveness to political issues, matters of social and racial justice, etc., especially instead of taking effective action

Back