• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

And yet other navies sail Offshore Patrol Vessels

I am hearing arguments for an array of UAS systems, layers of guns and missiles. Doesn't the RCN, and the Government, benefit from having a broad array of vessels available? Does every ship have to be top of the line?
When you only have a pittance of ships, you can’t afford pleasure craft.

Buds I made my career of over 30 years in ships that had less armament than AOPS and not once did I feel at risk. Not every ship is armed alike but can still do useful service to Canada. Different ships do different things.
I guess the question is what is the role of the AOPS during a war?

I guess the question is what is the role of the AOPS during a war?
I would imagine the RCN and government would have them do something. MCM, route survey, SUBSAR, providing security in home waters who knows. We all know its not going to be sent off in a combatant role. Perhaps it will be tied up and personnel allocated elsewhere. It has a peacetime role like any other ship.

I want to watch when someone asks the question of what do we use them for during wartime to the powers to be. And for just for laughs include some of the people who signed off on building them in the first place
I want to see their facial expressions as they attempt to explain.
I suspect that it's the old "Canadian thing ".
You know, wars happen to OTHER people.
I would imagine the RCN and government would have them do something. MCM, route survey, SUBSAR, providing security in home waters who knows. We all know its not going to be sent off in a combatant role. Perhaps it will be tied up and personnel allocated elsewhere. It has a peacetime role like any other ship.
Troop ships - cram a couple hundred reinforcements for Latvia in an emergency.
Won't be comfortable , won't be all that fast. Might not even get outside the 200 mile limit before being sunk .
Probably not .
On the other hand you might be able to fully man the frigates if you used the AOPs as a source.

I would expect by 2024, it should be well beaten into the heads of everybody here that AOPS are not combatants and thus are not armed like a combatant. AOPS is already a bit of a franken vessels as it is now design wise, it doesn't need to be a three way tug of war trying to arm it up with systems that don't add particular value to its roles.

I would expect by 2024, it should be well beaten into the heads of everybody here that AOPS are not combatants and thus are not armed like a combatant. AOPS is already a bit of a franken vessels as it is now design wise, it doesn't need to be a three way tug of war trying to arm it up with systems that don't add particular value to its roles.
Would imagine something with a "combatant" armament*, plus AOPS-level icebreaking capability, plus whatever other capabilities are unique to the AOPS, would be on the large and power-hungry side.

*Assuming it's Arctic-focused, this would mean - what - an ASW suite sufficiently robust that it'll pick up on a sub making quiet under the ice (without any of the bulbs, protrusions, etc. found on vessels not nosing through ice), and sufficient AAW capacity to survive Russian attentions until some form of NORAD cavalry turns up? Really not my field, but the first sounds difficult, if not impossible, especially for a vessel likely operating alone, and the second also seems somewhat challenging.

Back