Author Topic: Canada and Aegis  (Read 2196 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Canada and Aegis
« on: December 10, 2016, 20:19:37 »
Are there plans for Canada to obtain the Aegis system ?

Offline jmt18325

• Rate Post
Re: Canada and Aegis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 20:22:31 »
I would think that would depend on which ship we pick in just under a year's time.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:28:07 »
Most of our allies have Aegis capable warships,Canada should join the club.These ships could provide a measure of protection for both coasts and for deployed forces in high threat areas.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:19:10 »
Most of our allies have Aegis capable warships,Canada should join the club.These ships could provide a measure of protection for both coasts and for deployed forces in high threat areas.

Yes.  You're also talking about a country who, whether we admit it or not, would rather not spend $ on Defence as we'll "always have the Americans to cover us".
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 06:51:38 »
I think Korea, Australia, Japan and Spain are the only non-US users, no? Aegis is just Lockheed's brand of C2 system: when most people refer to "Aegis" they're really talking about a system that integrates active phased array radar sensors and a VLS-based guided missile system (and when the army talks about Aegis, they're usually just talking about Tomahawks). There are more ways than Aegis to skin that cat, and as a software platform Aegis is about 30 years old.

Offline Good2Golf

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 09:01:52 »
Pretty sure T6 was meaning in the Shakespearian sense of a 'rose,' i.e. fully* compatible with the USN's primary C2/FCS.

:2c:

G2G

* up to being part of the NCTR process and seamless tgt handoff, if need be.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 11:42:46 »
Sounds expensive.  Daddy's wallet is a little light for bright and shiny things.  Besides, it would take forever...  I've become jaded since reality has slapped me silly in the 18 months I've been here at the puzzle palace and discovered it takes forever to accomplish anything of note.  If one can.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 11:45:22 by jollyjacktar »

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 21:06:38 »
AFAIK only the F-100 from Navinata uses a Spy-1 system though I'm not sure if Aegis is part of it (as Aegis is the entire defensive system not just the radar).  Personally I think Aegis is a little bit overrated (not saying it isn't good, just not as good as it publicist would suggest).   It would also be in Canada and the US's benefit to have different defence and sensor systems.  This means they will each have different advantages and disadvantages so can cover each other off in combined operations. 

What you're primarily looking at is a version of the APAR/SMART-L system from the Dutch, Germans and Danish.  A Sea Fire 500 or variant from the French and a Selex ES from the  Italians.  The British Type 26 is currently looking like it will mount a type 996 3D radar.  I'm sure I missed something but really going by just odds its a 1 in 8 chance of Aegis.