Author Topic: Politics in 2017  (Read 44303 times)

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Re: Politics in 2017
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:27 »
McCallum and Dion are out as ambassadors, Mousef is being hidden in the Nowhereland as Status of Women, the new Minister of Forever Liberal Government graduated high school in 2005 and spent most of her adult life outside of Canada. And Crying Christy is going take on the Trump train. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 12:26:37 »
This was, of course, entirely avoidable. All Prime Minister Trudeau had to do was stick to his campaign promise:

What? You mean he didn't?  I am so shocked.  :o
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 12:49:27 »
Interesting that Dion will (apparently) be both EU and German ambassador.  I do not think that will play well in some of the more Euro skeptic regiobs; the EU was in part a way to make Germany less influential.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2017, 13:18:02 »
I'm shocked that they kept Monseif in cabinet. 
Optio

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2017, 13:48:27 »
Agreed.
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 14:07:39 »
That's because the Liberals and Trudeau are infallible and have not made a mistake about her.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Editor, The Devils' Blast, the Annual Chronicle of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles

http://www.royalwinnipegrifles.com/regimental-association/the-devils-blast/

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 15:41:00 »
Snubbing President Trump's inauguration was another example of Liberal "Smart Diplomacy" (especially considering the new President's expressed views on NAFTA). One can only imagine how well the next four years are going to go when Canada needlessly displeases its major trading partner and protector.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 15:46:11 »
PMs are not invited and do not attend inauguration.

Plenty of other valid reasons to dislike the PM (holidays on private island belonging to a recipient of millions for government comes to mind).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 15:57:17 »

In the Liberals' political game of Rock, Paper, Scissors; keeping the quota out trumps merit.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 16:23:07 »
And the official Info-machine version:
The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued the following statement today on changes to the Ministry:

Chrystia Freeland, currently Minister of International Trade, becomes Minister of Foreign Affairs, and retains the Canada-U.S. relations file, including trade relations.

Maryam Monsef, currently Minister of Democratic Institutions, becomes Minister of Status of Women.

Patricia A. Hajdu, currently Minister of Status of Women, becomes Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour.

François-Philippe Champagne, currently Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Finance, becomes Minister of International Trade.

Karina Gould, currently Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of International Development, becomes Minister of Democratic Institutions.

Ahmed D. Hussen becomes Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship.

The Honourable Stéphane Dion has served his country in many different roles over the last 21 years with integrity and a fierce love of Canada. I, and all Canadians, owe him a deep debt of gratitude for his service. I know I will be able to continue to count on his wisdom and his tireless service, and look forward to the next chapter of Mr. Dion's contributions to our country.

The Honourable John McCallum has had a distinguished career in public service, holding many different portfolios within government and has had an extensive parliamentary career. Most recently, his work as Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship bringing in over 39,500 Syrian refugees has been an inspiration to Canadians and an example to the world. I am pleased to announce that I will be proposing the Honourable John McCallum to the Chinese government as Canada’s Ambassador to China. The Canada-China relationship will be well served by such a strong presence from our government.

The Honourable MaryAnn Mihychuk has served the government with distinction and oversaw a significant expansion of the Canada Summer Jobs program and settled the Canada Post labour dispute as Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Labour. The Honourable MaryAnn Mihychuk will continue to serve as MP for Kildonan—St. Paul.

That's because the Liberals and Trudeau are infallible and have not made a mistake about her.
Just ask them, right?  Yeah, Team Red doesn't seem to get that one.

Plenty of other valid reasons to dislike the PM (holidays on private island belonging to a recipient of millions for government comes to mind).
But you forget ...
“Most great military blunders stem from the good intentions of some high-ranking buffoon ...” – George MacDonald Fraser, "The Sheik and the Dustbin"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 16:30:42 »

Perhaps, but it would have been the diplomatic thing to do.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 16:33:58 »
And the official Info-machine version:Just ask them, right?  Yeah, Team Red doesn't seem to get that one.
But you forget ...

So two by-elections then?
Over, Under, Around or Through.
Anticipating the triumph of Thomas Reid.

"One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”  - James Lovelock

Conservative, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others. [Ambrose Bierce, 1911]

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 16:55:03 »

Showing up when not invited is not a particularly diplomatic thing to do...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 17:06:24 »
Snubbing President Trump's inauguration was another example of Liberal "Smart Diplomacy" (especially considering the new President's expressed views on NAFTA). One can only imagine how well the next four years are going to go when Canada needlessly displeases its major trading partner and protector.

Canadians will be safer when he gets his hands on the codes?  :)

"The fact Trudeau will not be attend Trump's swearing-in is perhaps unsurprising; the Canadian government has historically sent a delegation to the presidential inauguration that does not include the prime minister."
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=OFp1WIKhPMuC8Qe8poOgAw&gws_rd=ssl#q=Do+canadian+prime+ministers+attend+presidential+inaugurations%3F
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 17:26:45 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 17:35:00 »
I was going to post this in the meme  thread but it seems more relevant than tounge in cheek.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 18:40:08 »
Canadians will be safer when he gets his hands on the codes?

Safer than with Hillary's hands on anything...

... except the bars on her well-earned cell.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 18:48:15 »
Safer than with Hillary's hands on anything...

Thanks for clarifying! I was a bit confused by his answer,
 http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2015/12/17/what-is-nuclear-triad-debate-sot.cnn

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 19:22:34 »
So two by-elections then?
:nod:
Showing up when not invited is not a particularly diplomatic thing to do...
Which I guess we'll see if the new Global Affairs Minister tries going to Russia - although they know where she stands on the whole Ukraine thing.

I'm kinda intrigued by Dion's "well, I'll have to think about it" according to the CBC.  I guess he doesn't quite get the concept of "here's your hat - what's your hurry?".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 19:47:16 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 07:18:48 »
Which I guess we'll see if the new Global Affairs Minister tries going to Russia - although they know where she stands on the whole Ukraine thing.
Well, we know a bit more about how Russia feels now - highlights mine ...
Russia has signaled that it will only remove newly appointed Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland from its sanctions list on a reciprocal basis.

Russian news agencies cited an unidentified Russian Foreign Ministry official as saying on January 11 that Freeland has been on a list of Canadians subject to sanctions, which includes a travel ban, since 2014.

Moscow introduced the sanctions list after many Western countries, including Canada, imposed targeted sanctions against Russian officials over Moscow’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.

"The issue of removing her from the response sanctions is an issue of reciprocity and the mirror principle," the Foreign Ministry official said. "The fact that she is blacklisted will not impede contacts with Russian officials at international forums." ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 07:26:37 »
Well, we know a bit more about how Russia feels now - highlights mine ...
Russia has signaled that it will only remove newly appointed Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland from its sanctions list on a reciprocal basis.

Russian news agencies cited an unidentified Russian Foreign Ministry official as saying on January 11 that Freeland has been on a list of Canadians subject to sanctions, which includes a travel ban, since 2014.

Moscow introduced the sanctions list after many Western countries, including Canada, imposed targeted sanctions against Russian officials over Moscow’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula.

"The issue of removing her from the response sanctions is an issue of reciprocity and the mirror principle," the Foreign Ministry official said. "The fact that she is blacklisted will not impede contacts with Russian officials at international forums." ...

Damn!  They are good.  They targeted her way before she was elected and would become the Minister of Global Affairs.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.

Any postings made by me which are made on behalf of Army.ca will be followed by the statement "George, Milnet.ca Staff".

Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:00 »

Damn!  They are good.  They targeted her way before she was elected and would become the Minister of Global Affairs.

More of that Russian super Int.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 09:28:26 »
I'm not quite sure what the issue is with the PM's selection to head GAC. Who else has the experience she has, the linguistic capabilities, the global connections, and name recognition? I actually think having spent so much time outside Canada should be lauded as an asset and not a detraction, as her job is to be the Face of Canada abroad.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 09:36:35 »
I'm not quite sure what the issue is with the PM's selection to head GAC. Who else has the experience she has, the linguistic capabilities, the global connections, and name recognition? I actually think having spent so much time outside Canada should be lauded as an asset and not a detraction, as her job is to be the Face of Canada abroad.

It's twofold.  Don't let anyone say otherwise.  This was also a calculated move to send Russia a message.  She is in fact one his most capable ministers.  McCallum going to China was also calculated and will likely impress Beijing.

My only beef with the entire shuffle is Monseif but I did hear at least one credible explanation that I'm willing to accept for now as to why she stayed.
Optio

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 09:46:19 »
I'm not quite sure what the issue is with the PM's selection to head GAC.
One issue is how well she (as well as her boss) can navigate the Russian position given 1)  her history w/Russia and 2)  PEOTUS's suggestions to date that he can make a "deal" with Russia.
This was also a calculated move to send Russia a message.
Agreed.  That said, I don't know about her competence one way or another, but I know she's been pretty anti-Russia/pro-Ukraine, and my only question is how her boss will manage all of that in dealing with Russia and the U.S. down the road.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:34 »
I was going to post this in the meme  thread but it seems more relevant than tounge in cheek.

It would seem that with Trudeaunomics, the PM will make all Canadians equal for generations to come.  Equally impoverished.  Thanks for nothing, all you Harper haters that brought this crowd into power.