Author Topic: Free Education  (Read 3950 times)

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
Re: Free Education
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2017, 19:44:39 »
As written, it suggests that you can't get both benefits simultaneously, but once the voc rehab is complete the education/transition benefit would be available.

True, but if you get off voc rehab, you lose your earnings loss. So yeah, you have the flexibility with education, but how you feed yourself and your family for up to 4 years? And if you stay on VR for the earnings loss, you're stuck with the restrictions.

Disappointing

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2017, 22:54:37 »
True, but if you get off voc rehab, you lose your earnings loss. So yeah, you have the flexibility with education, but how you feed yourself and your family for up to 4 years? And if you stay on VR for the earnings loss, you're stuck with the restrictions.

Disappointing
That 80 grand seems to be for living expenses as well as school. I could see a scenario where one does 2 years of school under VOC rehab at 90% then spends half the money finishing their degree and half supplementing their pension. Hopefully, we will see this fleshed out soon and can get some concrete details.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2017, 09:37:46 »
I believe it MAY cover living expenses relayed to school (I. E if you have to move, your rent would be covered) but I don't think it would act as a checking account, allowing you to buy food, or just have some spending money.

And I don't think a voc rehab plan could be open ended. I think it has to end with a marketable skill. I don't think VAC would approve a VR plan that DIDNT end up with you getting some sort of certification.  Like, I don't think you could say "I'll take two years towards a degree now, and then get out" even if you told them you then planned on finishing the degree after you get out of the VR

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2017, 10:13:08 »
"A NEW VETERANS’ EDUCATION AND TRAINING BENEFIT

After putting themselves in harm’s way in service to our country, our women and men in uniform deserve a successful transition to civilian life. A smooth transition is vital for the overall well-being of our veterans and their families. To help, Budget 2017 proposes to amend legislation to create a new Education and Training Benefit. In short, this benefit would provide more money for veterans to go to college, university or a technical school after they complete their service, through an investment of $133.9 million over six years, starting in 2016–17, and $10.3 million per year ongoing. The new program would begin in April 2018 for veterans honourably released on or after April 1, 2006. Veterans with 6 years of eligible service would be entitled to up to $40,000 of benefits, while veterans with 12 years of eligible service would be entitled to up to $80,000 of benefits."

Source: https://www.scribd.com/document/342740440/Budget-2017-En#

Still a year away, I like to do my DAdmin before I get too old to think coherently.......
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2017, 10:37:57 »
Still a year away, I like to do my DAdmin before I get too old to think coherently.......

I wouldn't get too excited about that. From my reading, it's means tested, and seems intended for those who require training in order to gain post service employment. I'm willing to be proved wrong though.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Krissa

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2017, 16:27:38 »
My family is quite intrigued by the possibility of some college level training upon my husband's release. With 26 years of service it's been awhile since DH has been in school, though! Might be a shocker to sit with a bunch of 19 year olds. See attached Fact Sheet from the Budget. It says living expenses, tuition, books. We live in a college town so maybe, just maybe there is a way to make this work!

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 17:30:59 »
While the extra money is nice, hugely disappointed overall. What is really needed is a complete overhaul of how medically released members are retrained for the civilian workforce;

a) Boot manulife financial to the curb
b) kill the SISIP Voc Rehab program
c) Create newer streamlined program which combines VA Voc Rehab with this new funding envelope. Something along the lines of "four years of living expenses @ 90% of pre-release wages, plus tuition, books etc".

Retired EW 291