Author Topic: Studying Material - Pre-AEC  (Read 1506 times)

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
Studying Material - Pre-AEC
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:36:11 »
Hey All,

My current situation is as follows:
 - previously in as MARS, currently supp res,
 - application is nearly complete, Interview/Security Clearance done. Waiting on medical to be reviewed in Ottawa,
 - it's been confirmed I don't have to redo basic trg,
 - waiting to be merit listed then will do either OJT or Cornwall.

My questions are: Do we know if there is still pre-course work to be done as of 2017? (I can find threads referring to it as of 2012, just wondering if there is any change)

Is there any unclassified material that could be suggested to better prepare myself for the upcoming course and subsequent career? (Currently bouncing between various Wikipedia pages on orders of battle and the book 'From the Ground Up'). I'd prefer a more focused approach if people have more relevant suggestions.

Thanks

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
Re: Studying Material - Pre-AEC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 19:28:26 »
There is still pre-course work in 2017.  There is a Common AEC Course to do and then when you are selected for your Control Environment (Weapons/IFR/VFR) you will have more pre-course work to do before that specific controller course. 

"From the Ground Up" is a good start but unless you know what type of course you're going on any prep until then would be futile IE why study what a Tower Controller does if you get loaded on a Weapons Course. 

Good luck with the re-enrollment process

See you in the Ops Room

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 07:06:00 »
Thanks for information. Is the common course component done in Cornwall or as OJT? Where is the pre-course work for the specific control environment done? Do you happen to know the time frame these typically follow (duration and typical time between). I guess I'll continue with 'From the Ground Up', is there any other things to look at that would be similar across all three control environments to focus on?

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 20:36:30 »
Common Course in Cornwall is about a month, Pre Course while you wait at which ever base you are sent for OJT will probably last 3 months.  IFR/Weapons are 5 months and VFR course is 4 months.  I think the only other thing you can study are military and civilian aircraft identification and identifier codes. 

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 14:50:27 »
Do you happen to have a link where I could find those handy codes? I've googled them but come up with all kinds of clutter instead of what I'm looking for.

Offline edlabonte

• Rate Post

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 22:02:06 »
If you get streamed IFR/VFR there'll be a pre-course in Trenton for a couple weeks immediately before going to Cornwall.  The first 2 weeks in Cornwall will serve as a common course for general aviation information.  Both the IFR and VFR courses are changing dramatically, so a lot of the stream specific pre-course material won't be as useful to gloss over.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get ahead before starting.  Try to get a good OJT at an operational unit, it'll help.

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 10:33:17 »
Thanks for the additional information, looking for study material more to fill my time productively than out of worry. Any suggestions on a good placement for OJT that's close to the east coast?

Offline mariomike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 22:50:05 »
Thanks for the additional information, looking for study material more to fill my time productively than out of worry. Any suggestions on a good placement for OJT that's close to the east coast?

Are you looking to Weapons or ATC? ATC wise the only operational unit would be Greenwood.  I've never been there, so I can't comment on how effective the stay would be in preparation for your course.

Offline AlwaysWaiting

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 06:39:40 »
I'm interested in Weapons but as far as I understand I don't get the option. Greenwood would be nice on that side of things. I've asked this in other threads but never received an answer, do you guys know when the next selection dates are for AEC, or when the next common course is being run?

Offline Lilswitche

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 12:58:13 »

I'm interested in Weapons but as far as I understand I don't get the option. Greenwood would be nice on that side of things. I've asked this in other threads but never received an answer, do you guys know when the next selection dates are for AEC, or when the next common course is being run?

Refer to a recruiter for selection dates.

Wrt which stream you'll be entered into:  you submit your preferences and they take that into consideration.  I haven't seen many that were made to go ATC when they wanted Weapons or vice versa.

The master course calendar can be found from any dwan computer: Borden mil site -> 16 Wg -> CFSACO -> "Master Calendar 2017".