Author Topic: Grievance - IA 4 month time period to respond has expired, now what  (Read 885 times)

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
Submitted a grievance, IA confirmed received, 4+ months later IA has not responded to grievance.  Assisting officer has attempted contact multiple times.  What should be done now?

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
If I were the AO, I would call up the correspondent you have had at the IA (the DG's usually have staff dealing with this stuff). I'd remind them they are overdue and that their obligations require them to provide an updated timeline, and if it's not satisfactory to you, you can have your grievance forwarded to the Final Authority, essentially skipping the IA because they took too long.

Have you received disclosure from the Grievance Analyst yet?
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
If I were the AO, I would call up the correspondent you have had at the IA (the DG's usually have staff dealing with this stuff). I'd remind them they are overdue and that their obligations require them to provide an updated timeline, and if it's not satisfactory to you, you can have your grievance forwarded to the Final Authority, essentially skipping the IA because they took too long.

Have you received disclosure from the Grievance Analyst yet?

The correspondent at the IA (also the grievance analyst) has not responded back every time either of us have tried to contact him (both phone and email).  Disclosure has not been received either.  The last thing I got was an email from the correspondent stating disclosure would be sent.  That was well over 4 months ago.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Let me check my Giveashitometer. Nope, nothing.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Airborne Electronic Sensor Operators - AES OP
DAOD 2017-1, Military Grievance Process

Four-Month Time Limit

9.8 In accordance with QR&O paragraph 7.15(2), an IA must consider and determine a grievance within four months. However, this may not always be possible due to the nature of the grievance or the exigencies of the service. As a result, an IA who is unable to comply with this obligation must notify the grievor in writing that:

a.the IA will not be able to consider and determine their grievance within the four-month time limit set out in QR&O paragraph 7.15(2), and provide an estimate of the date by which the IA might do so; and

b.the grievor may submit to the IA, for forwarding to the FA, a request to have the FA consider and determine the grievance without determination by the IA.

9.9 In any event, if the IA has not considered and determined the grievance within the four-month time limit, the grievor may:

a.choose to wait for the IA to consider and determine the grievance; or

b.request that the IA refer the grievance to the FA, who will then consider and determine the grievance.

*small point, but in the Grievance system, you have an AM (Assisting Member) not an AO (Assisting Officer).  They are not really the same and perform different functions.

If your AM is getting no reply back, also bear in mind...

Limitations on the Role of an Assisting Member

7.5 An assisting member assists a grievor but is not:
a.the personal representative of the grievor;

If you did decide to exercise your right to have the grievance forwarded to the FA, remember that there is no time limit for the FA to determine and grant/deny redress.

You might consider sending the Griev Analyst an email requesting an update IAW 9.8(a) of the DAOD.  They are not supposed to just give you the emergency test broadcast signal (I know it happens, believe me). 

However, the problem is there is no (real) accountability and repercussions in the CAFGS against IAs and GAs who do not perform the duties they are assigned. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 13:25:57 by Eye In The Sky »
"Now that I've completed CFS+, I can plan everything from going potty to how to plan my groceries for a hotdog and fries supper!" - unidentified Canadian government employee, after completing the new CFS+ training.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Perhaps your CO should be engaged to contact the Analyst's boss to get an answer.  Your CO can also contact DGCFGA who can swing a bigger hammer.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
Perhaps your CO should be engaged to contact the Analyst's boss to get an answer.  Your CO can also contact DGCFGA who can swing a bigger hammer.

Good point.  I'm going to the CO's office tomorrow to tell him how to do his job... ;D

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
Finally got a response back from IA.  They are requesting 3-5 weeks for a disclosure.  Also received a call from the FA and they stated that 3-5 was reasonable and in their opinion I should take it.  I'm going to give the IA the 3-5 weeks extension.  Thanks for the advice.

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Finally got a response back from IA.  They are requesting 3-5 weeks for a disclosure.  Also received a call from the FA and they stated that 3-5 was reasonable and in their opinion I should take it.  I'm going to give the IA the 3-5 weeks extension.  Thanks for the advice.

I think you should push them for "how long until I get a decision from the IA." The fact that it took 4 months to even get a response, and then another "3-5 weeks" to get disclosure.... and then you'll want to respond to that disclosure... at which point the IA may want another abysmal amount of time to render a decision... you could easily be looking at another 5 months or more to get the actual decision.

Once again our standard in execution is quite embarrassing.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Tcm621

• Rate Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. The modern Canadian military would be 2 weeks late for D-day. We can't seem to do anything in a reasonable amount of time any more.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk