Author Topic: What happens after BMOQ?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline blumespiration

• Rate Post
What happens after BMOQ?
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:50 »
My wife is currently in her second month of BMOQ as a MARS officer.
My question, as we really don't know much, is what is going to happen after she is finished? She has told me that she will be flown to out to BC the day following her graduation and can potentially have a short leave to return home.
I am kind of left in the dark on what happens with myself and all of our belongings. We live together so all of her belongings are with me right now including our animals and her vehicle.
Our plan was to move to BC together after she finishes Basic. I just want to know whether I will be responsible for moving our things or if she gets to be apart of it.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: What happens after BMOQ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 17:57:21 »
I have some unfortunate news for you my friend. After basic, your wife will be pasted "prohibited" to Naval Fleet School Esquimalt, meaning she will not be entitled to move her furniture and effects (and dependents) to her posting. She'll be expected to live in dorms for the entire length of her training, which is up to a year and a half when you combined the three courses she needs to do: MARS 2, MARS 3, AND MARS 4. If she fails any of these courses, she'll get to try it again, but that just means it will take longer. Once she graduates MARS 4, she'll be posted "restricted" to her first warship, meaning the government will pay to move her furniture, effects, and dependents to her new location (what's called a "cost" move).

I don't know where you live right now, but let's say you live in Toronto right now. After BMOQ, she will be flown to Victoria and you will stay in military quarters in Victoria. About a year and a half after arriving in Victoria, she will finish MARS 4, and they will pay for you and her to move your home from Toronto to wherever her next posting is (Halifax or Victoria). They will. Pay to fly you both to your new location to spend a week shopping for a house, and then pay you guys to fly to Toronto to pack up your old house, and then pay for you to drive (or fly) to your new location, including all food and hotels along the way. 

Now, after basic, I'm pretty sure you and your wife can choose to move your home from Toronto to Victoria at your own expense, and she can request to not have to live in military quarters (and I can't see them denying this request if she has a family), but this will have an impact on what you are entitled to when you finally do get a cost-move to her first warship posting.

Think of it this way: the government was happy to leave you and your home in Toronto, and then pay to move you and your home to Halifax when she's done MARS 4. Moving from Victoria to Halifax, on the other hand, is much more expensive than moving form Toronto to Halifax; so,  if you decide to move to Victoria on your own, and then find out her first warship is I'm Halifax,  then government will likely only offer to cover the portion of the cost that is equivalent to the cost of moving you had you stayed in Toronto. If, however she got posted to a warship in Victoria, then you just stay where you are and all is dandy ( but seriously though, some of the bonuses you get for moving are caaaaaaaasshhhhh moooooneeeeeeeyyyyyyy). Also, who the hell can afford a house in Victoria anyway?

#eastcoastbeastcoast
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 18:02:10 by Lumber »
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline blumespiration

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 22:23:47 »
See that was my other concern. So I will be able to go with her to Esquimalt, it's just a matter of leaving our belongings in Ontario???

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 23:13:13 »
See that was my other concern. So I will be able to go with her to Esquimalt, it's just a matter of leaving our belongings in Ontario???

The dormitory where she will be housed at the school is pretty nice by comparison with most army barracks. You'd be able to visit,  and get away with spending the night there, but it is not a place you would be allowed to live at. Not to mention, it's not somewhere you'd want to live! Each room is two in ideal rooms with a connecting "living room" and a shared bathroom. Each individual room just a room with a desk, a single bed, a closet.

If you wanted to live in Victoria, you have basically two options:

1. Get a cheap place, and have your wife stay there every night with you. Officially her residence will still be on base, but no one cares if she is actually spending  the night at your place. The nice thing about this plan, is that your "primary" residence stays as wherever you are living right now, so when she finishes Mars 4 the government will pay to move all that stuff to either Halifax or Victoria, wherever her first ship is. The problem with this plan is that you have to pay for two houses/apartments, as well, since she will still be "officially" living on the base, she will have to pay for rations, which is like $500 a month whether she eats the food or not. So..

2. You officially move your permanent residence from wherever you are now to Victoria. Your wife request to officially move out of the dormitory and into your new house/apartment. The nice thing about this is she won't have to pay rations anymore and you won't have to pay for two different houses/apartment. The problem with this, as I said in the first post, is the you might be giving up relocation benefits in the future.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!