Author Topic: Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)  (Read 5211 times)

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
Re: Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 12:07:49 »
So we should totally ignore the fact that scientific research has found that the human brain is still in a state of development into the early 20's, just because we have decided that a person legally becomes an "adult" at an earlier age?

Why not?  We allow these developing brains to make many choices at that age.  To marry, have children, use other substances that also are damaging if misuses (alcohol), kill another human being if required by circumstance (military or security service such as police) or sacrifice oneself for the good of others, vote in general elections etc, etc, etc.  All of the above choices have consequences to the brain that acts upon the decisions it makes.  If they're going to do it and use it, they're going to do it and use it regardless of how many studies say this or that.  At least this way, the government can perhaps have some input into how they use it and therefore possibly mitigate the ill effects of it's use (buying from criminal organizations, which is detrimental to society as a whole)  Treat them like children and they'll act as such.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:44 »
Well George by that argument we should bump the voting age higher, after all voting is a very important decision and we wouldn't want people without a fully developed brain to contribute to such an important decision.

Not really.  Voting age has nothing to do with the age by which one can legally use various substances such as alcohol or marijuana.  Decision making (without drugs) and numbing the brain through drugs (although a decision) are two different things.   ;D

(OK...Some voters do exercise their right to vote while drunk or stoned...That may explain the state we are in today.)

jollyjacktar

We have different ages already by which one is restricted or permitted to carry out various activities.  The voting age is consistent across the country.  The legal age regulating whether one can drive an automobile or drink alcohol varies province to province.  The regulations for the legal use of marijuana can just as easily vary from province to province as well.  That is all up to future legislation, Federally and Provincially.  This discussion is just a means to bring up whatever factors we may see being considered in future legislation; wide open to the imagination.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:46:19 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 12:39:04 »
With current NO SMOKING laws in effect and the current clamp down on Hooka lounges across the country, what will we see in the near future?  Will Hooka Lounges become exempt the NO SMOKING laws and permitted to offer the use of marijuana for smoking? 

One example from Vancouver (Ottawa is seeing similar cases):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-hookah-lounge-owners-wont-give-into-indoor-smoking-law/article25715978/
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 12:45:26 »
I would have preferred that the age to partake was set at 21, and not to be used in public. Like some have already said the pro cannabis people will ignore everything negative about cannabis use and that anything negative is government or big pharma. Some even advocate that it doesn't affect driving after using and brag about it. Like it or not its coming and in a big way I think, I also believe it will turn out to be a train wreak of epic proportions.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline kratz

Happy 150th.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 13:44:06 »
I look at the "big picture"...and see the fall of modern Rome.

All the jibber-jabber aside....I think we as a society will rue the day this comes about.... :(
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 14:13:38 »
you may be interested in this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-impaired-driving-changes-1.4069889

From the article:

Thanks for that...I was listening to a medical podcast a few weeks ago about just this thing.  There have been some surprised people in the US already.

The other issue is going to be dope/to drive times, since THC doesn't leave the body in as predicable a fashion as ethanol does...should be interesting to see who volunteers for those trials  :nod:

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 14:35:25 »
Excellnt resource I found.

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 14:40:40 »
I look at the "big picture"...and see the fall of modern Rome.

Years ago, someone told me that one day marijuana would be like liquor: packaged and taxed and sold right off the shelf.

I just laughed.  :)
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 15:42:16 »
I would have preferred that the age to partake was set at 21, and not to be used in public. Like some have already said the pro cannabis people will ignore everything negative about cannabis use and that anything negative is government or big pharma. Some even advocate that it doesn't affect driving after using and brag about it. Like it or not its coming and in a big way I think, I also believe it will turn out to be a train wreak of epic proportions.

I thought we'd put away the pro/ con big brush awhile ago. Not all those that advocate as pro cannabis blame everyone and everything. No more that the anti zealots that see reefer madness everywhere, like some here. Not even willing to give it a chance. In true fashion, they don't like it so no one should have it. Just like, guns, booze, fast cars, etc. No different than a bunch of dried out twelve steppers that rant at everyone else's evil habits and how they have attained true enlightenment and are now perfect.

We've been doing well with the subject and it other threads. Let's try keep it that way by stopping the attacks and stick to the educational side of things.

I'm not getting wrapped up about Goodale's announcement. It's only a starting point. It won't even look liker the same thing when everyone sparks up on July 01, 2018.

Don't forget, at least here in Ontario, the liebrals haven't even got their Scrooge hands (like jazz hands but your hard earned dollars stick to them) on a plan yet. You can also expect a number of Charter challenges on 02 July, 2018.

This is far from being totally ****ed up yet.

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 15:48:14 »
I thought we'd put away the pro/ con big brush awhile ago. Not all those that advocate as pro cannabis blame everyone and everything. No more that the anti zealots that see reefer madness everywhere, like some here. Not even willing to give it a chance. In true fashion, they don't like it so no one should have it. Just like, guns, booze, fast cars, etc. No different than a bunch of dried out twelve steppers that rant at everyone else's evil habits and how they have attained true enlightenment and are now perfect.

We've been doing well with the subject and it other threads. Let's try keep it that way by stopping the attacks and stick to the educational side of things.

I'm not getting wrapped up about Goodale's announcement. It's only a starting point. It won't even look liker the same thing when everyone sparks up on July 01, 2018.

Don't forget, at least here in Ontario, the liebrals haven't even got their Scrooge hands (like jazz hands but your hard earned dollars stick to them) on a plan yet. You can also expect a number of Charter challenges on 02 July, 2018.

Finally a light in a sea of prohibitrionists!!!!

Well Said RC

People make out that Cannabis is deadlier than a MOAB bomb, when some vices that are legal. Coconuts have killed more people than Mary Jane, don't see a thread where people, here, are bleating about it. 

Dileas

Tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 15:56:17 »
recceguy.....I must agree; the Wynne Government will likely see this as an opportunity to create another "Cash Cow" to cover their mismanagement of the Ontario finances.

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 16:26:48 »

Just my opinion on the subject just like you have an opinion. What I have seen you take a common sense approach and I respect that. My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups. Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum. Yes I'm against the legalization as I think there will be unintended consequences not yet seen. I know despite my attitude its going to happen and I have to deal with that. I just hope it does more good than harm.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 16:31:10 »
Just my opinion on the subject just like you have an opinion. What I have seen you take a common sense approach and I respect that. My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups. Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum. Yes I'm against the legalization as I think there will be unintended consequences not yet seen. I know despite my attitude its going to happen and I have to deal with that. I just hope it does more good than harm.

When you say many "Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum" can you provide a link to this please?

"My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups"

Really, what are the names of these groups, I would like to see what you have read.  I am not trying to be combative, but I do have a right to see where you have come up with your facts.  Otherwise, i think they are make believe or anecdotal.

Dileas

Tess

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 16:53:34 »
When you say many "Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum" can you provide a link to this please?

Really, what are the names of these groups, I would like to see what you have read.  I am not trying to be combative, but I do have a right to see where you have come up with your facts.  Otherwise, i think they are make believe or anecdotal.

Dileas

Tess

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/who-wants-legal-marijuana-not-so-many-canadians-as-once-thought-survey-finds

Now there are other polls that are different however all have a sizable percentage that don't agree with legalization, but agree with decriminalization. I'm sure you'll come up with something to say that all Canadians love it.

As for the groups I joined a few including the one that you run, i'm also not trying to be combative either and not against legitimate medical use. I'm just against people making it out to be the harmless herb that you continually make it out to be. To say that more people has been hurt getting hit with coconuts than from Cannabis is not correct. I have personal experience in this.

كافر

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 16:58:12 »
Let's return to contemplating what possible direction "Legalization" will go and what kind of regulatory acts will be put into place, Federally and Provincially.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 17:02:26 »
Let's return to contemplating what possible direction "Legalization" will go and what kind of regulatory acts will be put into place, Federally and Provincially.

For instance, what kind of changes will we see to this information that 48th regulator provided?

Excellnt resource I found.

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 17:04:49 »

I think as Reeceguy has stated that the regulatory acts will morph overtime as lessons learned. I foresee tightening of the regulations if it starts to get out of hand but that's yet to be seen.

كافر

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 17:18:21 »
No one is slagging anyone. I meant no attack on anyone. Chief Stoker and I simply have different veiwpoints.

I simply asked that  broad general statements not be used. Opinions are fine. Everyone has one. There's no debate on that. All that is being asked is that people keep overblown statements out of it and if you are stating something let's see where you got it.

Some are here to learn and discuss and we can still respect the other point of view.

Some, want to come here, unknowledgeable on the subject, don't like it and talk junk like they know something. We'll just ignore those people, because they are only here to disturb crap.

So, back on track everyone. This is a good discussion, let's keep it that way.

“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 17:22:45 »
Just for info, when looking at the offences provide by 48th regulator:

In criminal law, you may often hear people talk about summary or indictable offences.  There is sometimes a distinction drawn between the two based on the seriousness of offence.  However, the main difference between these two types of offences are the mode of trial.

Summary offences

Summary offences are matters that are tried by a judge alone.  If you are charged with a summary offence you do not have the right to have a trial by jury.  Matters dealt with in this way usually proceed through the justice system much faster than matters dealt with on indictment.

Summary offences are usually less serious offences such as traffic offences and petty crime.   In NSW, summary offences have a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.
For an offence to be a summary offence, the statute that creates the offence must clearly say that it can be dealt with summarily.  If it does not, then the offence is an indictable offence.

Indictable offences

Indictable offences require a trial by judge and jury.  If you are charged with an indictable offence and choose to plead ‘not guilty’, you are guaranteed the right to a trial by jury.

Hybrid offences

In many jurisdictions there are now what is sometimes referred to as hybrid offences.  These are indictable offences that allow the accused to choose whether to have the matter dealt with summarily.  That is, the accused can choose not to have a trial by jury and have the matter dealt with by a judge alone.

The benefits of having a matter dealt with summarily are that the matter may be resolved much faster than if you have a jury trial.  However, if you are charged with an offence that gives you this option, it is important that you get legal advice before deciding what is best for you.

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 17:55:24 »
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/who-wants-legal-marijuana-not-so-many-canadians-as-once-thought-survey-finds

Now there are other polls that are different however all have a sizable percentage that don't agree with legalization, but agree with decriminalization. I'm sure you'll come up with something to say that all Canadians love it.

As for the groups I joined a few including the one that you run, i'm also not trying to be combative either and not against legitimate medical use. I'm just against people making it out to be the harmless herb that you continually make it out to be. To say that more people has been hurt getting hit with coconuts than from Cannabis is not correct. I have personal experience in this.

Once again you slip in your bias of "It's my opinion.  What were these groups, because my group, Green Veterans Canada"  You were banned long ago.  What are the others.

As for coconut reference, neat you have personal expereince, I have personal experience that refutes yours.

Sorry for being slightly combative, but I find you use anecdotel evidence too much, and slag others to legimize your point of view.  Spare me the patronization of Medical use, as you made an effort to destroy any argument for it before.  Don't give me the RecceGuy epiphany, as that is a lame excuse aimed at dividing he an I.

Dileas

Tess

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2017, 18:36:44 »
Once again you slip in your bias of "It's my opinion.  What were these groups, because my group, Green Veterans Canada"  You were banned long ago.  What are the others.

As for coconut reference, neat you have personal expereince, I have personal experience that refutes yours.

Sorry for being slightly combative, but I find you use anecdotel evidence too much, and slag others to legimize your point of view.  Spare me the patronization of Medical use, as you made an effort to destroy any argument for it before.  Don't give me the RecceGuy epiphany, as that is a lame excuse aimed at dividing he an I.

Dileas

Tess

Banning someone is not foolproof. I don't think i'll tell you what other groups i'm on as you may use it against me as you used my personal information already on here to ban me from your page. Its not "neat" that I have personal experience actually pretty tragic and don't feel you have to refute my experience. There's no slightly to your attacks on me either. I have to admit that you give more credit than deserved with your musings of me dividing anyone. Take a timeout and relax and lets get this discussion on track.

كافر

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2017, 18:40:50 »
So I was reading that taxing the sale of Cannabis may not be the cash cow originally thought and it is the intent to try and keep the price low. Compared to cigarettes and the price of alcohol, is the intent to try and drive out the black market so it doesn't go the way of illegal smokes which is a real problem? 

كافر

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2017, 19:03:21 »
So I was reading that taxing the sale of Cannabis may not be the cash cow originally thought and it is the intent to try and keep the price low. Compared to cigarettes and the price of alcohol, is the intent to try and drive out the black market so it doesn't go the way of illegal smokes which is a real problem?

With that logic, might as well make heroin legal so we can stop drug cartels from controlling it. If that's the reasoning the government is using, they're more clueless than I thought.

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2017, 19:17:03 »
Banning someone is not foolproof. I don't think i'll tell you what other groups i'm on as you may use it against me as you used my personal information already on here to ban me from your page. Its not "neat" that I have personal experience actually pretty tragic and don't feel you have to refute my experience. There's no slightly to your attacks on me either. I have to admit that you give more credit than deserved with your musings of me dividing anyone. Take a timeout and relax and lets get this discussion on track.

Uhuh,

Once again telling a lie, and using anecdotal mad up excuse to participate in this thread.  PFttt.

You were banned because you are a nuisance, and not searching for Peer Support, as the group indicated.  As for others, there are none.  So, once again you lie to make yourself a relevant factor.  This is not personal, this is the facts.  YOU should be admonished for trolling.  It's in the guidelines, eh.

dileas

tess

Online Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2017, 19:29:47 »

Uhuh,

Once again telling a lie, and using anecdotal mad up excuse to participate in this thread.  PFttt.

You were banned because you are a nuisance, and not searching for Peer Support, as the group indicated.  As for others, there are none.  So, once again you lie to make yourself a relevant factor.  This is not personal, this is the facts.  YOU should be admonished for trolling.  It's in the guidelines, eh.

dileas

tess

Have a good evening and a Happy Easter.

كافر