Author Topic: COMCENs, why?  (Read 485 times)

Online MOOXE

• Rate Post
COMCENs, why?
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:48 »
Signallers, why do we still have COMCENs?

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: COMCENs, why?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:53 »
Secure communication mostly.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 13:10:10 »
Communicators need a place to put the coffee machine?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 13:54:05 »
I'm not sure I understand the question...
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Online MOOXE

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 13:56:33 »
Ok more specifically then.

Some COMCENs have already closed, the small ones with only a few units on the base. Other COMCENs are handling less than 50 messages a day. Most of which is unclas which can go by DWAN (think retirement msgs). Transmitting a message is literally a minute of work and some of these COMCENs are fully staffed (3-4 pers) by ACISS Core and in other situations we have ACISS CST working part time in there due to manning shortfalls. As well, CSNI has taken over some/most of the classified traffic. Some COMCENs are even part-time.

Having a COMCEN is a good capability to have, especially if things ramp up again somehow. But part of me thinks we are on the cusp of losing them altogether.

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:16:53 »
We need COMCENs because its a good place to hide broken signallers?

Communicators need a place to put the coffee machine?

We've never short of places to put coffee machines.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 13:55:54 »
I do agree that most ComCens are no longer required but there are a few that are. We must still communicate in a classified environment with our allies and other nations and not all of the other nations have a method of communication with us through a gateway, either because they don't have one in place or we do not.
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy