Author Topic: Kingston Class 40MM replacement?  (Read 38562 times)

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
Re: Kingston Class 40MM replacement?
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2017, 10:08:31 »
Capt (now Comdre) Craig Skjerpen, former Commanding Officer Sea Training.

He still wears the red hat as part of sea training group.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2017, 10:12:14 »
But he still look like a Christmas tree (sorry! Holiday tree  ;D).

You know as well as I do, FSTO, that sailors like things simple and don't like to repeat themselves uselessly. Why should their uniform reflect the opposite?

They need to be recognized individually: Fine. That means name tape, trade badge and rank slip ons.

Then they are proud of their "service" and their country: Again, fine. The rank slip ons say CANADA and a single RCN Ensign on one shoulder reflects both the Naval aspect of their service and their country with the Canadian flag in the corner. That is all that is needed, no other Canadian flags or repeats everywhere else.

Finally, they want to identify with their current unit, so a single small unit crest on the breast pocket will do.

Anything else is overkill.

BTW, Chief, no one mentioned it here but that attached E/O system is a damn useful extra sensor even when no requirement to use the gun exists. Do you know if they have planned to have a protective tarp for the gun that will let them use the sensor even when on?

You can blame the dress committee for the extra bling, I just wear what i'm told. The camera and IR sensors is what i'm excited about as it brings a good capability to the ship. Not sure about the tarp, I'll check on Mon when I go out for trials.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2017, 10:52:54 »

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2017, 12:07:53 »
How long before all of the ships have it?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2017, 12:35:15 »
Depends if the retrofit is done by a contractor with an incentive to proceed quickly or by the Dockyard personnel  ;).

Joking aside, once the system is proven through the testing, this is not big or complex matters it should be fairly quick.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2017, 13:17:42 »
I like what the RWS brings in the way of control and optics, I am disappointed at the gun being used. (I admire the .50cal, but way to small)

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2017, 19:00:51 »
Is this what they're supposed to be putting on the CPF as well?

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2017, 21:04:54 »
Is this what they're supposed to be putting on the CPF as well?

Its a different version and a version will also go on the new CSC.

كافر

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2017, 21:06:17 »
I like what the RWS brings in the way of control and optics, I am disappointed at the gun being used. (I admire the .50cal, but way to small)

The reason why this is being used is we have 33 units sitting in storage, this mount unfortunately doesn't support a 20mm.

كافر

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2017, 21:07:36 »
Depends if the retrofit is done by a contractor with an incentive to proceed quickly or by the Dockyard personnel  ;).

Joking aside, once the system is proven through the testing, this is not big or complex matters it should be fairly quick.

The unit will be trialed in an evaluation over the next 6 months to check its suitability.

كافر

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2017, 22:45:25 »
The reason why this is being used is we have 33 units sitting in storage, this mount unfortunately doesn't support a 20mm.

Is it at least an M3M/GAU-21 variant? (i.e. 1200rd/min)

cheers
G2G

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 »
Is it at least an M3M/GAU-21 variant? (i.e. 1200rd/min)

cheers
G2G

I wish but no.

كافر

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2017, 09:46:54 »
According to wikipedia the NRCWS can take a few guns... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanuk_Remotely_Controlled_Weapon_Station

The cheap choice would be the M2 .50 cal option due to plenty of inventory for both the guns and ammo within CFSS.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2017, 10:10:01 »
I also don't hold out a lot of faith in introducing a electronic device not designed for the marine environment, it's been done before and generally ends up corroding badly.

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2017, 20:11:20 »
I also don't hold out a lot of faith in introducing a electronic device not designed for the marine environment, it's been done before and generally ends up corroding badly.

I'm pretty sure many of the mods were marine proofing.  It's not like the Summerside didn't do this before with a different system.  Lessons learned and all that.  With 6 months of trials though they'll know real quick if the marine mods are working or not.  Salt water doesn't do things slowly with regards to electronics and that part of the ship get plenty of spray.  Either way, it's a huge upgrade for the ship.  Even with something as simple a night navigation for the watchkeeper, just having night vision capability to look at a ship, buoy or if that thing is a trick of the light or floating debris is pretty useful.

My own experience with NV on an MCDV included my lookout peering directly ahead of the ship saying to himself, "huh... is that bird standing on a rock?" as my head was in the chart table plotting a fix.   I finished the rest of the mids with soiled trousers, but as a plus I didn't need any more coffee!

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2017, 22:08:34 »
Is the operator sitting side-on to the motion of the ship?  I would have thought it would have been better with fore and aft alignment.   Make it easier to read the motion?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2017, 22:16:20 »
Is the operator sitting side-on to the motion of the ship?  I would have thought it would have been better with fore and aft alignment.   Make it easier to read the motion?

He is sitting looking fwd.

كافر

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:18 »
Thanks for that.  Just as well I'm not driving.  :cheers:
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2017, 11:43:11 »
I'm pretty sure many of the mods were marine proofing.  It's not like the Summerside didn't do this before with a different system.  Lessons learned and all that.  With 6 months of trials though they'll know real quick if the marine mods are working or not.  Salt water doesn't do things slowly with regards to electronics and that part of the ship get plenty of spray.  Either way, it's a huge upgrade for the ship.  Even with something as simple a night navigation for the watchkeeper, just having night vision capability to look at a ship, buoy or if that thing is a trick of the light or floating debris is pretty useful.

My own experience with NV on an MCDV included my lookout peering directly ahead of the ship saying to himself, "huh... is that bird standing on a rock?" as my head was in the chart table plotting a fix.   I finished the rest of the mids with soiled trousers, but as a plus I didn't need any more coffee!

We trialed NV and FLIR on the hovercraft, the NV googles failed as light discipline inside the hovercraft was not good enough and resulted in the NV picking up glare on the inside of the windows. FLIR was ok, but heavily affected by spray, mists and rains. This was mid 1990 tech.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2017, 11:52:07 »

The weapons systems operators on a CPF face to port in their seated positions.
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!