Author Topic: Mefloquine (a.k.a Lariam) anti-malarial in CF use (merged)  (Read 36606 times)

Offline Brihard

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Mefloquine Article of Interest
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 00:43:58 »
I remember being given three options for antimalarials, and no information on them beyond how frequent the doses were to be taken. I remember a lawful order to pick one and take it. With nothing else to go on, I picked the weekly option, Mefloquine. There was no 'informed consent'. That's utter hogwash.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2016, 07:39:58 »
I remember being given three options for antimalarials, and no information on them beyond how frequent the doses were to be taken. I remember a lawful order to pick one and take it. With nothing else to go on, I picked the weekly option, Mefloquine. There was no 'informed consent'. That's utter hogwash.

Depends on when you deployed (and maybe with who).  I remember having to give briefings on all three meds as early as 2005 and everyone had to see a pharmacist with their choice.  YMMV.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Mefloquine (a.k.a Lariam) anti-malarial in CF use (merged)
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2016, 08:35:31 »
On HMCS Preserver in 92/93 for Op Deliverance (supporting the Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia), we were given mefloquine and the directions that everyone will take it - except personnel from the HelAirDets in flying positions.  They took doxycycline.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2016, 09:05:33 »
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan is defending his department’s continued prescription of an anti-malarial drug that Health Canada now agrees can cause permanent brain damage, saying troops make their own informed decisions about whether to take it.

Awesome.

Same here.
First time we were told we will take it or be charged with disobeying a lawful order. That included the usual threats that we wouldn't be covered under VA if we got sick.
Next time we were given 3 options and ordered to pick one with no information beyond dosage.