Author Topic: Mefloquine (a.k.a Lariam) anti-malarial in CF use (merged)  (Read 36729 times)

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Can someone tell me what the current malaria medication is
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 14:49:58 »
Thanks
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 15:44:12 »
Malaria season is May-Nov inclusive.  If you stay in KAF there is no requirement for meds.

Normally, you will discuss with your MO and/or Pharm O which medication is best for you.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Piper1911

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:10 »
Malarone is the good stuff, as long as you remember to take it daily. Worked in Africa!

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 09:15:25 »
Malarone is the good stuff, as long as you remember to take it daily. Worked in Africa!

It's great until you discover an unknown anaphylactic allergic reaction to it somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan, lol!

People give me a funny look now at the MIR when I say "Malarone" as one of my allergies.   ;D
pilot:  Number 3 engine missing.
tech: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

pilot: Aircraft handles funny.
tech: Aircraft told to straighten up, fly right and be serious

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 10:28:08 »
I don't know if they're still using Mefloquine, but that crap can have some pretty adverse side effects in some individuals. I switched off it and took Doxycycline on a daily basis instead.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 10:41:10 »
I don't know if they're still using Mefloquine, but that crap can have some pretty adverse side effects in some individuals. I switched off it and took Doxycycline on a daily basis instead.

I agree.  IMHO, some health care personnel are not screening people properly.  Doxy isn't really the greatest either, as one of the side effects is sun sensitivity.  Of course, one should be using sunscreen in A'stan anyway.....    ;)
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:01 »
I guess I'm just a traditionalist - what's wrong with Gin and Tonic?

>:D

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:12 »
I guess I'm just a traditionalist - what's wrong with Gin and Tonic?

Just make sure you get the tonic that has quinine in it.   ;)
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline PuckChaser

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 12:06:07 »
I was on Mefloquine. Dreams were super vivid for the whole time I was on it, and for 2-3 days after taking the pill each week I had an upset stomach. Definitely was not a good feeling, but I heard worse about the other ones so I stuck with it, was only for 3 months.

aesop081

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 12:09:36 »
I took Malarone with no issues.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 12:19:28 »
I don't know if they're still using Mefloquine, but that crap can have some pretty adverse side effects in some individuals.

Yes, I remember a certain fella who decided that he was going to try to take over the bridge of a ship and bring it back to Halifax...from the Indian Ocean.   :)

'Tis strange stuff, that mefloquine!

Offline Alea

• Rate Post
  • Alea Jacta Est
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 13:08:42 »
I remember having to take 1 Nivaquine a day, 365/365...

For those who have access to Nivaquine, it is one of the good medication against malaria (except if you have liver problems).
That said, most people I know who've been under any malaria medication ended up by catching the disease one day or another. I personally had Malaria (Paludisme) at least 10 times in my life if not more. When you live in Africa, you get this like you'd get the flue here.

Alea
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear" Buddhist proverb

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 23:32:49 »
Took Mefloquine in Afghanistan - only had one cool dream that someone interrupted, otherwise no probs.  Took Malarone in Haiti - no biggy.  Some people there were on Chloroquine, which causes gut rot in some (as does Malarone), others were on Doxy.  Of course, it's all location dependant. 

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline captloadie

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 03:16:47 »
When I was in Trenton, they did a blood test, which they explained to me was to determine which medication would be best for me. Then they put it in my med files and my vaccination booklet. I was however aircrew at the time.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:38 »
When I was in Trenton, they did a blood test, which they explained to me was to determine which medication would be best for me. Then they put it in my med files and my vaccination booklet. I was however aircrew at the time.

The blood test is for the presence or absence of G6PD (a blood enzyme) to determine if you can take Primaquine (terminal prophylaxis).  It doesn't determine which other medication you can take.  If your G6PD is "normal", you're good to go.  If the G6PD is "deficient", you cannot take Primaquine.  There are some experts who believe that a G6PD deficient person may have a natural immunity to malaria as it does not survive well in a G6PD deficient environment.

For those who have access to Nivaquine, it is one of the good medication against malaria (except if you have liver problems).

AFAIK, this medication is not available in the CF.

I personally had Malaria (Paludisme) at least 10 times in my life if not more. When you live in Africa, you get this like you'd get the flue here.

No, you probably have the type of malaria that remains dormant in the liver and periodically releases mature parasites into the bloodstream, causing recurring attacks of symptoms.  Either Plasmodium vivax or Plasmodium ovale.

Also, even when taking medication, insect discipline is important.  Medications (like vaccines) are not always 100% effective.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 15:44:22 »

AFAIK, this medication is not available in the CF.

It's choloroquine, so yes it is :)

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 15:46:48 »
It's choloroquine, so yes it is :)

MM

Whoopsy!  I stand corrected.  No good for most places, though.  Isn't Africa (mostly) chloroquine resistant?  That would explain some things.........   :nod:
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 23:42:36 »
I agree.  IMHO, some health care personnel are not screening people properly.  Doxy isn't really the greatest either, as one of the side effects is sun sensitivity.  Of course, one should be using sunscreen in A'stan anyway.....    ;)
You're making some pretty broad brush statements, and I disagree with them.  The vast majority of our CF pers are properly screened by multiple pers at multiple levels (e.g. PMed, MO, Pharm O)  and prescribed the appropriate chemoprophylaxis prior to deployment.  My biggest concern is for the augmentee that arrives at the last minute, usually as a replacement for someone on the TO&E.  Furthermore, all medications have potential adverse effects.  The hoopla over malarone use in the CF came out of the Somalia scandal with the CAR, when individuals claimed the neuropsychiatric side effects caused them to torture and murder a civilian.  It doesn't.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 00:36:43 »
Whoopsy!  I stand corrected.  No good for most places, though.  Isn't Africa (mostly) chloroquine resistant?  That would explain some things.........   :nod:

I seem to recall that there is alot of choloroquine resistance in Africa.

MM
MM

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:24 »
You're making some pretty broad brush statements, and I disagree with them.  The vast majority of our CF pers are properly screened by multiple pers at multiple levels (e.g. PMed, MO, Pharm O)  and prescribed the appropriate chemoprophylaxis prior to deployment.

I agree that the vast majority are screened properly.  Did you notice I said some?

When I was in Ottawa, we (PMed) had to fill out a medication recommendation for the doctors as they were not "familiar" with the medications used.   ::)

Do they ask about past issues of depression?  That's a big no-no when prescribing Mefloquine.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/167/10/1147

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=1128&rot=4

As an example, I do contact tracing on people who are given the "single" dose of Zithro but not told that it still takes seven days to take effect and as a result, play Chlamydia ping-pong with their partner(s). 

Our military MOs, NO, PAs, etc are great.  It's mostly the civilians I have issues with.

The hoopla over malarone use in the CF came out of the Somalia scandal with the CAR, when individuals claimed the neuropsychiatric side effects caused them to torture and murder a civilian

It was Mefloquine, not Malarone.

Interesting reading about that issue here:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/somalia/vol5/v5c41e.htm

But we digress......back to your regularly scheduled thread. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:00:29 by PMedMoe »
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 11:36:18 »
Moe,  you're absolutely right on the mefloquine (meflomares) vice malarone, my brain said mefloquine but my fingers typed malarone. 

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Malaria drug for Canadian troops called dangerous
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 19:00:24 »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/10/malaria-drug-mefloquine.html

Someone please remind me, there was a weekly malaria pill and a daily pill for 2009 tours.  What were they called?

Which is the drug they are talking about here?

I am worried this could have implications for veterans who are being treated.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 19:06:29 by Pieman »
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Malaria drug for Canadian troops called dangerous
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 19:17:34 »
Just to answer my own question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mefloquine

It appears to be the once per week drug that I believe that lots of people took overseas. I opted for the once a day pill Doxycycline.  Interesting point here:

In the Somalia Affair, some Members of Parliament and doctors postulated that this drug may have been a cause of the brutal beating death of Shidane Arone by Canadian Forces personnel, some of whom had been given experimental treatment using the drug. Dr. Michele Brill-Edwards resigned in protest from Health Canada over her belief that the drug could produce "dangerous psychiatric reactions" in the soldiers before the Somalia Affair took place.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 19:19:49 »
In 2006 I took Mefloquine once a week for however long was required.  I did not suffer any of the side effects and as far as I know no one in my section has either.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 19:25:34 »
In 2006 I took Mefloquine once a week for however long was required.  I did not suffer any of the side effects and as far as I know no one in my section has either.

Ditto, although I'm not sure what the drug was, three times, for periods ranging from a few weeks to about nine months, between 1975 and 1990ish. We heard all kinds of horror stories but I never saw nor heard, first hand, any real evidence about ill effects.

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"