Author Topic: The Great Gun Control Debate  (Read 678942 times)

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: The Great Gun Control Debate
« Reply #3625 on: February 19, 2017, 10:50:16 »
It appears there are some pretty cool looking guns that are apparently close to getting non-restricted status. I say "cool" because a firearms looks and image seem to be one of the primary reasons the RCMP looks at banning firearms. This could, hopefully, be a new leaf being turned over for the RCMP.

North Eastern Arms NEA102.  .308 caliber which is quite close to an Ar15 looks wise (obviously). $1500 price tag or so and it's a huge hit in New Zealand.

UNG-12 Tactical Bullpup 12GA Shotgun. Straight from Halo is my guess, at $999 definitely going in my safe.

couple more I'll have to dig up.

Type 81
Where as in the recent past the RCMP banned a .22 caliber semi-auto rifle that looks like an AK47, this is non-restricted.

Pretty nice. Might be worth checking out. However, I'll wait until the RCMP assign a FRT number to them.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

DISCLAIMER - my opinion may cause manginal irritation.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #3626 on: February 20, 2017, 10:40:38 »
I found it interesting at this years Shot Show, just how many vendors knew about the RCMP fiream lab and how many had guns waiting FRT's. 

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3627 on: March 11, 2017, 18:33:19 »
For those interested, here is an interview that the Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights did with Maxime Bernier about his firearms policy. CCFR just recently ranked all of the CPC leadership candidates firearms policies and ranked Max #1 with an A+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59QhomszVx4

Here is the CCFR's grading of each candidate https://firearmrights.ca/en/ccfr-sits-down-face-to-face-with-the-cpc-leadership-candidates/
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3628 on: March 11, 2017, 20:29:29 »
I'm surprised O'Leary rated even a D-  given his statement about Ar15s  and about only police and military using them. He's been generally  anti-firearm form that I've read.

Kellie strikes me more as an opportunist than anything else. The statement I read of hers on firearms was ambiguous and just came across as polispeak.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• "Look, I don't know if shooting penguins will help the environment or not. But I do know that the decision shouldn't be in the hands of people who just wanna kill for fun."
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3629 on: March 13, 2017, 21:32:47 »
There's two years between now and 'if' any of them get elected as a leader of the GoC. Lots to go wrong between now and then. Don't think for a second the liberals have forgotten about the file. Goodale let his hand be seen when he lopsided the Firearms Advisory Committee with all of Cukier's minions on board. There is only one shooter in the group. He's with Ducks Unlimited. These are the same fudds that would only back shotgun hunters and said noone needed an AR or pistol. Goodale is not going to go easy on us. The liberals, especially Castro's kid, may decide to stop knocking this back and forth and screwing us completely by lighting us up.
At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #3630 on: March 13, 2017, 23:23:37 »
If the Liberals try it again, it will be whole different fight than last time.

There is a new generation of young gun owners that you just didn't see 10 years ago.

The guns clubs are organized, networking and many of them are sitting on fairly large war chests, that they are willing to use.

I am not saying it will be fun or easy, but there will be a hard push back from legal gun owners this time around, if we are mistreated.

So- gun owners. Get involved. Join a gun club (or two). Keep up on the legislation. Write letters. Be prepared to donate cash and to join protest marches, if it comes to it.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3631 on: March 14, 2017, 06:44:18 »
If the Liberals try it again, it will be whole different fight than last time.

There is a new generation of young gun owners that you just didn't see 10 years ago.

The guns clubs are organized, networking and many of them are sitting on fairly large war chests, that they are willing to use.

I am not saying it will be fun or easy, but there will be a hard push back from legal gun owners this time around, if we are mistreated.

So- gun owners. Get involved. Join a gun club (or two). Keep up on the legislation. Write letters. Be prepared to donate cash and to join protest marches, if it comes to it.

I'm not sure serving members of the CAF are allowed to do the highlighted bits
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #3632 on: March 14, 2017, 07:00:01 »
I'm not sure serving members of the CAF are allowed to do the highlighted bits

Yes, you can, do not self identify, verbally or visually, do not give statements to the press like "In the army, we......", be peaceful and retreat when it becomes non peaceful. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3633 on: March 14, 2017, 07:05:11 »
Yes, you can, do not self identify, verbally or visually, do not give statements to the press like "In the army, we......", be peaceful and retreat when it becomes non peaceful.

I didn't know that.  I thought we were not allowed to take part in public protests.  Thanks for the info!

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
« Reply #3634 on: March 14, 2017, 07:22:04 »
I didn't know that.  I thought we were not allowed to take part in public protests.  Thanks for the info!

Keep in mind, I am talking about a gunny protest of middle aged employed voters, not the G20 type stuff.  There are public rallies to show strength and there are public protests to effect regime policy change.  Through the 90s, we rallied 3 times in Ottawa in support of our public property, we protested but they were rallies against, there were 100s of military types there.  The rally inside Ottawa city hall in 1993 drew lots of military folks, when the local MP showed up to "Liberalsplain" Rock's, rejection of our recommendations.  Voicing your opinion without voicing your association is completely within the Charter of Rights and QR&Os. 

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3635 on: March 28, 2017, 18:54:32 »
Groundbreaking study finds one child or youth is shot every day in Canada :o

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2017/03/27/a-young-person-is-shot-every-day-in-ontario-sick-kids-study-finds.html

A child or youth is shot in Ontario almost every day, according to a groundbreaking study that attempted to identify at-risk groups for firearm injuries.

In the study, based on government health and immigration databases and published today in the Canadian Medical Association Journal, a team of Toronto researchers found Canadian-born youth, particularly males, have higher rates of unintentional firearm injuries compared with immigrant youth.

The study found there were an average of 355 firearm injuries a year between 2008 and 2012, when a total of almost 1,800 firearm injuries were reported among children and youth in Ontario.

There's some kind of weird immigrant angle to the story (see if you can spot the narrative) but after a bit of research you realize they consider anyone under 25 years old to be "youths" and these numbers include accidents from pellet guns, BB guns and airsoft guns.

Still props for a sinister story picture.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3636 on: March 28, 2017, 19:21:24 »
More left wing propaganda. It took no time for it to be discounted by anyone with an iota of education. It's all part of laying the liebral position for Goodale to gut gun owners. You'll also not likely find any dissenting opinion from his left dominant Firearms Committee that has no gun owners on it. Well, except for the fudd from Ducks Unlimited.
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #3637 on: March 29, 2017, 02:02:03 »
I looked up the original study. And tried to look at their source data. They were linking/quoting data from 1995. I fail to see how 22 year old data is relavent to today.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3638 on: March 29, 2017, 05:12:12 »
"Relevance" had nothing to do with their intent, any more than truth, accuracy, or honesty did.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3639 on: March 29, 2017, 06:43:11 »
That study and all of the insinuating articles that spun off of it didn't take long to fade off of the cover pages of the news organizations.

Some of the supporting information isn't even Canadian.

Offline Lightguns

• Rate Post
« Reply #3640 on: March 29, 2017, 06:44:22 »
"Relevance" had nothing to do with their intent, any more than truth, accuracy, or honesty did.

If you go back to the original study in 1995, pellet gun injuries are included.  Also included in the stats is any emergency room or doctor assisted injury involving a firearm, IE; slam your finger in your SKS and go to emerg, you are a gun injury stat.  Got M1 Garand thumb and go to emerg, you are a gun injury stat.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3641 on: March 29, 2017, 07:05:32 »
Got M1 Garand thumb and go to emerg, you are a gun injury stat.

Ive never experienced that, but I hear it's less than fun.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3642 on: March 29, 2017, 09:03:42 »
Bruised thumb/palm from slamming the forward assist to hard?

Cracked and bleeding skin from racking the action on a cold day when you have eczema and forgot to put any moisturizer on in the last couple of hours?

Black eye because your held the browning up against your cheek to look down the sights more easily?
“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Loachman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3644 on: March 29, 2017, 14:56:08 »
Ive never experienced that, but I hear it's less than fun.

It hurts like a *****...... ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Loachman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3645 on: March 29, 2017, 16:05:21 »
A comment on a post at http://hallsofmacadamia.blogspot.ca/2017/03/rcmp-to-start-rounding-up.html regarding the most recent fake gun study:

"what sort of gun control legislation will stop the impoverished, urban, immigrant refugee community from inflicting 43 percent higher gun injuries on their children and peers?"

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3646 on: March 29, 2017, 17:02:21 »
So essentially it's law abiding Canadian firearm owners to blame.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 18:54:18 by Jarnhamar »

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #3647 on: March 29, 2017, 19:35:46 »
So essentially it's law abiding Canadian firearm owners to blame.

As David Byrne sings: "Same as it ever was." 
-P.J. O’Rouke-

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3648 on: March 29, 2017, 21:59:11 »
https://thegunblog.ca/2017/03/28/qa-with-firearm-injuries-in-youth-researcher-natasha-saunders/

Interview with the author of the Youth firearm injury study. Pretty interesting read. Lots of backtracking, "I don't have that information" and pointing out a lack of hard stats and evidence by the author. She says she plans to have actual break downs in a year or so. Makes total sense to publish this half-assed report  when you can't differentiate between a BB gun scrape and a bullet to the head. 

Some good scientific facts too.
they (BBs from a BB gun) fire a few metres per second slower than say, a rifle
:nod:

Narrative is if there isn't guns around then there are less firearm injuries. I wonder where they can be going with that eh?  ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 22:05:15 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3649 on: March 30, 2017, 06:02:05 »
Narrative is if there isn't guns around then there are less firearm injuries. I wonder where they can be going with that eh?  ::)

So if guns were never invented, no one would have ever been shot.  She's right, when you use that kind of fantastical false logic.