Author Topic: Therapeutic Cannabis use  (Read 44082 times)

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
Re: Therapeutic Pot use
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:17 »
Yes I do, the same way you don't (or at least shouldn't) see people getting drunk at work.

If it ever becomes legal, I can not see it being treated any differently than alcohol where it would be 8+ hours before being on duty.  Possibly 12 or 24 hours, I guess...I'm no Dr.

So would that not make your original statement moot?

Even when things change in society it always takes an extra generation for the culture to change, because the senior decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

Even if marijuana became legal today, you wouldn't see people doing it in the smoking area tomorrow.

People would not smoke dope in the smoking area, as they would not drink during woring hours.  This has nothing to do with decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

But I digress, maybe the scent of Techno's Patchouli cologne is clouding your senses today....

:)

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:17 »
Echoing Techno's reply that this isn't the best audience to ask, the Army for the most part is relatively anti-narcotics.

Even when things change in society it always takes an extra generation for the culture to change, because the senior decision makers were raised in the previous generation's culture.

Even if marijuana became legal today, you wouldn't see people doing it in the smoking area tomorrow.

Actually I think this is probably the best place to raise the question, knowing that the majority
here are ex servicemen and most likely abided within the law. I already know what kind of response I would get from the peanut gallery. That is to say, that every dope user/dealer from
hells half acre would more than likely srongly recommend it. Wheras here, I know that I would be getting an honest opinion based on the facts. Perhaps from true medicinal related users,
and not from the, "Lets get high" crowd.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 10:49:03 »
First, let me apologize for my rather curt first response.

Now, on to your question. There seems to be good evidence that cannabis works for some folks. I've not read any good peer reviewed studies on the subject. The real challenges seem to be essentially three:

a. the effect is highly variable;
b. the negative consequences of smoking the drug can outweigh the positives; and
c. the "Lets get high" crowd is driving much of the discussion, thereby obfuscating the real issues.

That being said, if you can get a bone-fide prescription, then you might at least see if it works.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:49 »
First, let me apologize for my rather curt first response.

Now, on to your question. There seems to be good evidence that cannabis works for some folks. I've not read any good peer reviewed studies on the subject. The real challenges seem to be essentially three:

a. the effect is highly variable;
b. the negative consequences of smoking the drug can outweigh the positives; and
c. the "Lets get high" crowd is driving much of the discussion, thereby obfuscating the real issues.

That being said, if you can get a bone-fide prescription, then you might at least see if it works.

True what you say. I would much rather manage the pain than lose my flipping mind :nod:

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 13:02:20 »
Anecdotaly, I agree with OWDU about accupuncture - used it to good effect for a couple of problems, despite me not liking needles much either.  Depending on your joint issues, other options are massage, chiro or osteopathic practitioners.  Of course, keeping active, though sounding a little perverse at first, actually does help manage some arthritic conditions.  It takes awhile to get in to alot of them, but I'm sure you could benefit from a referral to a pain clinic - should try to get one, even if it's from a walk in clinic.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Thank god the Taliban doesn't use attack dogs.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 13:07:47 »
48th,

You are correct that I was speaking about two different things.

When I brought up the "one generation behind" attitude, it was not to suggest that they would ban its use, so much as it would more than likely be frowned upon by the upper echelon because it was banned in the system of rules and regulations they learned.

If something is legal it's legal, but in social events such as a mess dinner, technically people would be able to step out in the smoking area on a Friday and light up, but I can't see that not having indirect consequences.

We would not see full culture buy-in until the soldiers and junior leaders of today (if it were made legal) get to those senior ranks.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 13:08:48 »
Thanks for the input on the subject matter.
And please feel free to add to or post your comment.

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 13:14:47 »
48th,

You are correct that I was speaking about two different things.

When I brought up the "one generation behind" attitude, it was not to suggest that they would ban its use, so much as it would more than likely be frowned upon by the upper echelon because it was banned in the system of rules and regulations they learned.

If something is legal it's legal, but in social events such as a mess dinner, technically people would be able to step out in the smoking area on a Friday and light up, but I can't see that not having indirect consequences.

We would not see full culture buy-in until the soldiers and junior leaders of today (if it were made legal) get to those senior ranks.

As it stands in the military, even if it was made legal, I don't think the recreational use would
be much tolerated. Not just that, but the media would have a hayday with it.

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 13:18:10 »
If it's legal, then that's that.  As an armed force, we have no choice but to uphold the law within our ranks.  Otherwise, we are rogue, and that's not good.

So, there I was....

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 13:24:03 »
If it's legal, then that's that.  As an armed force, we have no choice but to uphold the law within our ranks.  Otherwise, we are rogue, and that's not good.

I think we're empowered to curtail legal activities (ie: active campaigning for a political party); we're not allowed to condone illegal ones. I wager that if pot were legalized, it would still be prohibited from use by the CF.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Dennis Ruhl

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 13:46:17 »
Something like 20 years ago alcohol was removed in Alberta as a medication as ineffective.  In my younger days, I found it highly effective.  I believe this is discrimination and I should be allowed to buy my medication of choice untaxed.  It is strangely unusual that the courts interceded to allow weed, an untested drug, to be legally used as a medication.

Got pain?  Use T3s or as I call them heroin.  T3s don't cut it?  Oxycontin.  You might even be supporting the Afghani economy.

Banned for being a repeated administrative burden and not taking responsibility for his actions

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 13:50:19 »
If it's legal, then that's that.

Yes, but as we have already discussed it would be with an asterisk.

Just like someone drew the line with alcohol by saying "Legal, but only _____ hours" before being on duty, all it would take was the medical/leadership side of the house to quote one study and then say "Legal, but only 30 days before being on duty", which would effectively ban it unless you took a 5-week leave block.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway." - Roosevelt

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2010, 13:54:10 »
Yes, but as we have already discussed it would be with an asterisk.

Just like someone drew the line with alcohol by saying "Legal, but only _____ hours" before being on duty, all it would take was the medical/leadership side of the house to quote one study and then say "Legal, but only 30 days before being on duty", which would effectively ban it unless you took a 5-week leave block.
Fair enough.  I just mean off hours, or whatever.  In other words, you can't be under the influence, etc.

I'm just talking about sitting down on a saturday night, day 1 of leave, smoking a big fatty by the fire pit ;D
So, there I was....

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2010, 14:07:34 »
I'm just talking about sitting down on a saturday night, day 1 of leave, smoking a big fatty by the fire pit ;D

When I drive to Saint John I always wondered what that fire was smoking off to the west that smelled great...everything always seemed so funny until I got to Welsford.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 14:15:20 »
Alcohol is legal within a certain age and use range - but we still prohibit it's use in operational and  some day to day circumstances.  If pot were legalized, I'm willing to bet there would be seirous limitations on use - high to fly times, those sort of things .  I doubt it would be tolerated out in the smoke pit.  Besides, we are a volunteer force and if you don't like our rules, I'm sure someone else would be willing to smoke up with you at some other venue of employment.

Got pain?  Use T3s or as I call them heroin...

Codiene is a far cry from heroin  ::)

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 14:20:16 »
Fair enough.  I just mean off hours, or whatever.  In other words, you can't be under the influence, etc.

Then maybe a smaller one on Sunday morning for the hangover........and what the hell, another
one Sunday night.......oh well...I'm on leave......it's only Monday.....might as well dig in. Etc Etc.
That's where the problem is.......use and abuse is a very thin line. Just like alcohol......You never know when the cucumber becomes a pickle ;D 

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2010, 14:27:50 »
You never know when the cucumber becomes a pickle ;D
If you see the cucumber become a pickle, then you've smoked too much weed ;D
So, there I was....

Offline Dennis Ruhl

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 15:45:07 »

Codiene is a far cry from heroin  ::)

MM

I actually knew that.  They both come from the same pretty flowers in Afghanistan.
Banned for being a repeated administrative burden and not taking responsibility for his actions

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 16:32:30 »
You apparently didn't as you stated "or as I call them heroin"...they may come from the same pretty flowers but are FAR from the same thing.  Call me literal or pendantic, I don't care, it sounded pretty ignorant in both the literal sense as well as the colloquial one.

MM
MM

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 17:55:12 »
I'm listening to the medicineman on that last one.
In any case, a guy must have to be very well disciplined to abide in the dosage amts regarding
the pot thing. If you are allowed so many grams a day.......what does that mean?.....do you smoke it all at once?. Roll up 10 pins or 2 bombs or what? And then there is the rest of stock.
I think it would be too easy to over smoke so to speak the recommended dosage amt. And
ultimetly using more and more all the time......leading to worse consequences. Perhaps.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2010, 18:21:44 »
In any case, a guy must have to be very well disciplined to abide in the dosage amts regarding
the pot thing. If you are allowed so many grams a day.......what does that mean?.....do you smoke it all at once?. Roll up 10 pins or 2 bombs or what? And then there is the rest of stock.
I think it would be too easy to over smoke so to speak the recommended dosage amt. And
ultimetly using more and more all the time......leading to worse consequences. Perhaps.

I would think, if it is by prescription, that information would be on the packaging. The pharmacist would explain it, and ask if you understand. Then answer any questions you may have before handing it over.
From time to time, you would have to re-visit the M.D. who prescribed you for renewals. The M.D. may not renew if s/he has reason to believe the patient is not taking their medication as prescribed.
I think, the same would apply to any medication.

There is some information regarding marijuana toxicity here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis#Toxicity
and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrocannabinol#Toxicity

Canadian Pharmacists Association:
"Position Statement on Medical Marijuana":
http://www.pharmacists.ca/content/about_cpha/who_we_are/policy_position/pdf/MedicalMarijuanaStatement-Final.pdf

Toronto. Apr/2010:
"Nine people are facing drug charges after police raided a Queen St. compassion club that sells medical marijuana to patients suffering from chronic diseases, including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.":
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/789660

Youtube: "The highlights of the CALM raid on March 31st 2010. Watch from all perspectives as the Toronto Police Service force their way into Toronto's oldest and largest medical cannabis club.":
http://www.youtube.com/user/calmtoronto

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 19:43:41 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2010, 18:34:28 »
57 I hear you...I wonder how the prescriptions are actually written and dispensed - is the weed in pre-rolls, loose leaf like tea, and are there Brand names like Government Gold or BC Bud or is it generic Marijuana.   Sample Rx to read:  (1) BC Bud  Inhale 1 x 10g u roll over an hour up tp 3 times daily as required.  Dispense 30 x Dime bags up to every 10 days, refills not to exceed 6 times in next 60 days.  (2)  Steak and Lobster  Ingest 8oz of each with a baked potato after each BC Bud as required....

MM
MM

Offline Petamocto

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 18:45:37 »
(2)  Steak and Lobster  Ingest 8oz of each with a baked potato 2L chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream and video games followed by wearing headphones and listening to acoustic guitar with your eyes closed after each BC Bud as required....

Sorry, slight edit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 19:00:03 by Petamocto »

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 18:58:19 »
I'll be back......you guys made me hungry :D :D :D
 And what happens when you run out? Well it's so easily available almost anywhere.
Which leads to promiscuity. Others find out about your legal pot use, and you get the mushroom effect.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 19:00:49 »
If it's legal, then that's that.

It's legal to have sideburns and a goatee isn't it? But not in the CF. Piercings?

I think if when pot becomes legal and treated much the same as alcohol, the CF will (and wisely so IMO) delay in allowing it's members to take part in recreational use until it becomes more widely accepted by society (in reality, when it finally gets legalized, it will be by a very slim margin, but after a few years it will probably no longer be a hot topic).

Now, if it is legal, I agree with you, there's be nothing wrong with lighting up by the fire on Friday or Saturday night. I'm not sure CF members would be able to do that the day it was legalized though.
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller