• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Funny thing is that almost every picture released by PA has them in their T shirts. Can't really blame them, the new rig is hot in the spaces.
When I was in the RCN, it seemed like Stokers prided themselves in not being the “spit and polish” of the other trades, but to do the dirty work.

When I was in the RCN, it seemed like Stokers prided themselves in not being the “spit and polish” of the other trades, but to do the dirty work.
We normally don't wear coveralls so any unform gets worn out pretty fast and looks a bit rough at times. The biggest safety aspect is the sleeves. The old uniform we could and was exspected that the sleeves while in the machinery spaces were rolled down. It seems now comfort over safety.

Like most of the "we're different" things, it became a caricature more than a reality.

I've seen MSE types that hadn't been in a space all day look just as sloppy as if they'd walked out of the After AMR working on the DGs...

We normally don't wear coveralls so any unform gets worn out pretty fast and looks a bit rough at times. The biggest safety aspect is the sleeves. The old uniform we could and was exspected that the sleeves while in the machinery spaces were rolled down. It seems now comfort over safety.
I remember my first ship, the EO was pretty grizzled and always wore white coveralls when he would inspect the engineering spaces with the CERA.

MSE dept needs to crack down on their people... Lol
At they someone didn't write stuff on their gloves right before an official media photo shoot.
o818agw730oc1.jpg

I remember my first ship, the EO was pretty grizzled and always wore white coveralls when he would inspect the engineering spaces with the CERA.
Definitely a RN inherited thing.

Remember Dirt on Op APOLLO? We had a whip around for him for presentable NCD’s for him to wear before x-polling to a Greek frigate for the day. I think he got a spare shirt from me. Next day, he comes back still looking like Mr. Bag-o-shite. Dan Riis just shook his head.

Excellent stoker though, which is what really mattered. 😀

What is the insulation used? Do you experiment with fire coatings?
That specific one is a rockwool IMO rated A-15 insulation.

Intumescents coating have been trialed before but don't work well on moving platforms; the protective char layers fall off with normal movement. Instead we just use specific coatings that have limits on some fire properties, smoke and toxicity. That was a sidebar of the work as well where the 30 year build up blows through that so working on an in-service paint buildup limit with a more detailed study at QETE (that intending to put up on ResearchGate to get it into the wild).

If you are really interested the full thesis is here; the 'so what' is the last main section because of how the thesis template goes.

Investigation on the implications of passive fire barriers on the fire fighting tactics of the Royal Canadian Navy

Putting together a video as well, but all the actual data is uploaded onto a academic site linked in the annex, and there is a video on why you close the door here;

Working on one that has the IR images time lapsed in a split screen with the fire, which I have in ppt form but as a mash up of a few video files and animated gifs for the IR.

Unmanned systems coming up with regard to the CSC program again, interesting to see how the concept of an offboard magazine might evolve. Potentially useful for CSC in its initial limited VLS cell arrangement.

The Canadian military is weighing how many and what kind of "optionally-crewed" warships it will need in the future as drone technology and artificial intelligence change the face of naval combat, says the commander of the navy.

Vice-Admiral Angus Topshee told CBC News that while navies will always need large combat surface ships and submarines, Canada's allies have started to experiment with automated vessels.

"What is the right mix for the future as we replace our maritime coastal defence vessels down the road?" he said. "What's the right capability for us to have? How do we augment the Canadian Surface Combatant" — the next generation of warships — "with the right mix of sensors?"

The plan to bolster the Australian fleet includes unmanned 20 destroyers and frigates and six Large Optionally Crewed Surface Vessels (LOSVs), which can operate with sailors aboard or independently as drones.

The LOSVs have piqued Topshee's interest.

"I think optionally-crewed [ships are] going to be a big part of this in the future," he said.

"I'm looking at that quite closely because I think that it is definitely something that we can build into the Canadian Surface Combatant program. We need to be enabling it, not just with the small autonomous vehicles — on and under the water — but also with larger platforms that could have a crew most of the time."

Back