• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

Korus

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m just wondering, did anybody here go on SQ this past summer? If so, what dates did they run?

Dates for next summer haven‘t come down the line yet, and I‘m curious..

I don‘t know anyone who TOOK the course, but I do know some that taught the course, and they seem to run them at farely regular intervals throughout the summer. In any case, the dates will be different for next year, and won‘t be announced until early 2003. Just keep an eye out. WATC will run dozens of courses I‘m sure, so you should be able to find one that will work with whatever schedule you have.

This year at Meaford, one started July 1 and the other July 28...

Probably one course for each summer month

Here is a quick run-down of the content and time allocations for the Soldier Qualification (SQ). (Hopefully I didn‘t make too many transcription errors.)

SOLDIER QUALIFICATION

Training Duration. This training will require:
a. Regular Force - 60 training days; and
b. Reserve Force – 20 training days.
Regular Force serials may include 3 extra days to conduct basic winter warfare training.

PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES

PO 101 Participate in Dismounted Offensive Operations (Regular Force – 6 periods plus 13 periods exercise time; Reserve Force – 15 periods)

PO 102 Participate in Dismounted Defensive Operations (Reg F – 3 pds plus 23 pds exercise time; Res F – 8 pds plus 10 pds exercise time)

PO 103 Participate in Dismounted Reconnaissance Patrols (Reg F – 2 pds plus 9 pds exercise time; Res F – 10 pds)

PO 104 Fire the C7 with the C79 Optical Sight Unit (Reg F – 50 pds)

PO 105 Fire the General Purpose Machine Gun, 7.62mm, C6, in the Light Role (Reg F – 30 pds; Res F – 30 pds)

PO 106 Fire the Light Machine Gun, 5.56mm, C9 (Reg F – 31 pds; Res F – 31 pds)

PO 107 Fire the Short Range Anti-Armour Weapon (SRAAW) Light (L) (Reg F – 19 pds; Res F - pds) (May not be taught at this time)

PO 108 Fire the Short Range Anti-Armour Weapon (SRAAW) Medium (M) (Reg F – 24 pds; Res F – 24 pds)

PO 109 Throw Grenades (Reg F – 10 pds; Res F – 10 pds)

PO 110 Perform Individual Fieldcraft (Reg F – 22 pds plus 24 pds exercise time; Res F – 2 pds plus instruction during field training exercise (FTX))

PO 111 Operate Tactical Communications Equipment (Reg F – 44 pds)

PO 112 Individual Protection (Reg F - 7 pds; Res F – 7 pds)

PO 113 Drive SMP Vehicles (Reg F – 154 pds)

PO 114 Perform Army Physical Fitness Training (Reg F – 51 pds; Res F – 47 pds)

EdO 101 Leadership in Peace and War (Reg F – 4 pds)

EdO 102 Law of Armed Conflict (Reg F – 7 pds)

EdO 103 General Service Knowledge (Reg F – 4 pds)

Training Exercises - (Reg F – 12 days; Res F – 5 days)

Course Administration - (Reg F – 32 pds; Res F - 13 pds)

Yup that looks about right for crse content, although we have yet to run the dvr portion. And we have already run 5 crse‘s and mine will be the 6th in march with no dvr trg, I think it is a problem with finding vehicles to give us. We may also have a hard time finding instructors that are qualified to drive, seems weird but it has been an issue.

The SRAAW(L) isn‘t taught yet.

PO 113 Drive SMP Vehicles

That‘s not taught either. We get a Defensive Driving course instead.

There is also a PO on the PLGR 96 GPS unit. I can‘t remember the PO number though.

I start my last week of course on Monday. This is our last week of FTX. Hoo Rah!

I now have the dates for the SQ (Inf) for those members who will be taking it this summer, and who are in 32 CBG.

My BMQ will include 3 "pre-SQ" weekends following immediately after our grad pde. There is also another BMQ that just started, and I presume they too will have pre-SQ weekends taught after their course is finished.

For this reason, this summer‘s SQ course at Meaford is shortened. The dates are: 30 Jun - 18 Jul. There is also an SQ for Armour, which I think are the same dates, but I cannot be sure as I didn‘t write it down.

Immediately following that SQ, for infantry personnel, apparently they will run the "DP 1 Inf" which I assume is the MOC for infantry. It is also at Meaford, and will run from 21 Jul to 14 Aug.

Bye bye summer!

Of course, the big Milcon 03 is 16 to 24 Aug at Pet. Sounds like fun ... defensive live fire, etc.

That leaves one day to get badged after the Infantry course, one day to see if my house in Toronto is still standing, and then, off to Pet. Ha ha... I love the army!

Courtesy of Michael O'Leary

Here is a quick run-down of the content and time allocations for the Soldier Qualification (SQ).

SOLDIER QUALIFICATION

Training Duration. This training will require:
a. Regular Force - 60 training days; and
b. Reserve Force  20 training days.
Regular Force serials may include 3 extra days to conduct basic winter warfare training.

PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES

PO 101 Participate in Dismounted Offensive Operations (Regular Force ? 6 periods plus 13 periods exercise time; Reserve Force ? 15 periods)

PO 102 Participate in Dismounted Defensive Operations (Reg F ? 3 pds plus 23 pds exercise time; Res F ? 8 pds plus 10 pds exercise time)

PO 103 Participate in Dismounted Reconnaissance Patrols (Reg F ? 2 pds plus 9 pds exercise time; Res F ? 10 pds)

PO 104 Fire the C7 with the C79 Optical Sight Unit (Reg F ? 50 pds)

PO 105 Fire the General Purpose Machine Gun, 7.62mm, C6, in the Light Role (Reg F ? 30 pds; Res F ? 30 pds)

PO 106 Fire the Light Machine Gun, 5.56mm, C9 (Reg F ? 31 pds; Res F ? 31 pds)

PO 107 Fire the Short Range Anti-Armour Weapon (SRAAW) Light (L) (Reg F ? 19 pds; Res F - pds)  (phased out- to be replaced with M203 ,taught in BIQ)

PO 108 Fire the Short Range Anti-Armour Weapon (SRAAW) Medium (M) (Reg F ? 24 pds; Res F ? 24 pds)

PO 109 Throw Grenades (Reg F ? 10 pds; Res F ? 10 pds)

PO 110 Perform Individual Fieldcraft (Reg F ? 22 pds plus 24 pds exercise time; Res F ? 2 pds plus instruction during field training exercise (FTX))

PO 111 Operate Tactical Communications Equipment (Reg F ? 44 pds)

PO 112 Individual Protection (Reg F - 7 pds; Res F ? 7 pds)

PO 113 Drive SMP Vehicles (Reg F ? 154 pds)

PO 114 Perform Army Physical Fitness Training (Reg F ? 51 pds; Res F ? 47 pds)

EdO 101 Leadership in Peace and War (Reg F ? 4 pds)

EdO 102 Law of Armed Conflict (Reg F ? 7 pds)

EdO 103 General Service Knowledge (Reg F ? 4 pds)

Training Exercises - (Reg F ? 12 days; Res F  5 days)

Course Administration - (Reg F ? 32 pds; Res F - 13 pds)

Hey, I kind of have a problem and I was wondering if I could get some help with it.

This past June, I joined Comm Res, as a SigOP, I was sworn in less then 24 hours before Basic Training began, so I did not have time to get on a flight and go to Shilo, instead I did my BMQ with NavRes in Borden. When I returned to my unit I was informed I would have to take the SQ course, which I already knew I was going to have to take before I even left for Basic but my unit told me I would take in on weekends when I finished BMQ.
When I returned to the unit, I was put into "holding troop" with 2 other guys.We aren‘t allowed to go to the field or anything of that sorts until we have our SQ. Since we got back every week we ask them when we are going to get SQ, and the answer up to now as been that we will probably be shipped off to Shilo next summer for 4 weeks to do SQ, because no courses are available, which will put us a year behind.

Now I‘ve heard a lot of rumours, like I can do my 3‘s without SQ, but I can not get my hook until I have it. I asked my troop Sgt. about it and he said that is a lie. I heard there was a weekend BMQ/SQ but then my unit told me that was an officers course.

Does anyone have any information that could help me out at all. I really don‘t want to be put behind a year. My unit has been doing everything they can to try to work around this. Any suggestions? Anything will be greatly apperciated.

Thanks

ps. Sorry for the length

dont worry to much you wont be put behind because for promotions etc it goes by the day you were sworn in

u‘ll do sq,trade course and u‘ll be caught back up

Just because you do not have your SQ should not prevent you from "going to the field or on exercise". It sounds like somebody higher on the food chain is making up there own rules or is not thinking about the trg opportunities being presented. Since you have and passed BMQ you should be able to accompany you unit and get some OJT (On the job trg). OJT is usually done under the supervision of a Jr NCO and this allows the JR NCO to gain experience/confidence in leadership and his own job at the same time. It would be a shame to waste the beginning of your trg and allow you to become discouraged. OJT would give you some valuable experience and prepare you for the next phase of your trg. I would suggest using your chain of command for this opportunity to get some OJT. The worst they can say is no and if they try to penilize you for it I would suggest moving to a new unit.

I think someone might have mentioned this before...but what exactly is the SQ? When and where do you do it? Does everyone have to take it? How long is this course?

SQ is Solider Qualification

Its Done After BMQ or After Your Moc Training

You Can Do It At Pretty Much Any Garrision Or Base

It Consists Of c6 c9 grenades 84mm and Pyro And at the End a 5 day FTX where you practice Patrols Etc

Hey I'm back online... the site looks so much better!!!!

I have easy question that for some reason I can't get a straight answer for here at ST-Jean basic.  Do all army trades take SQ after basic, or is it just combat arms trades?  I'm going as a FSC tech, and just wanted to know.  I've asked around here, but all our staff navy and they have no idea.

by the way basic is great, the food is the same everyday and the mega feel like jail, but all good.  I only have 2 weeks left and then its off to borden and PAT. Yeah!!!  If anyone have any basic question ask them and I'll do my best to answer them for ya.

SQ is a common course for all army trades and it's only after SQ you go on and do your trades qualifications

im only in reserves but i know some trades such as medics are taking their ql 3 b4 their sq.reg forces im not sure

My SQ (reserve) had non-combat arms people. I'm pretty sure everybody in the army has to do it.

What about Navy/Airforce? do they do SQ?

Anyone here have any info on the Soldier Qualification course.  I know it lasts 10 weeks, however is it alot like Basic?  Also, does anyone know where the course is given.

REG Force  soldier qualification was 7 weeks long when i took it. my friend, who is in kingston now, did his at CFB Gagetown, NB. I did mine at LFCATC Meaford, ON. SOme of my French friends here on PAT platoon did there's in Valcartier. i'm not sure where Army personnel outside of the central, quebec, and atlantic areas do it.

it's a great experience. you are taught all the basics of soldiering you wouldn't pick up from basic. it's the lead-up to BIQ (infantry QL3)which is about 10 weeks. lots of forced marches in rucks and or full fighting order. you get to do things like: recces, platoon defenses, section attacks, topo with map compass and   gps and the way you do things in the Army compared to the very lacking experience you get from basic training(since it's for al three elements) relating to how to conduct yourself and work with a team in Army operations.

i'm glad all army trades are supposed to take SQ

Back