• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

I have no issue with "Canadianizing" the monarchy. Like @Kirkhill I don't understand why we didn't take the opportunity to update the styles and just use "King of Canada, Head of the Commonwealth." But I suspect that the whole thing was largely slapped together at the last minute and someone just dusted off the proclamation from 1952 and changed the names.

Where they lose me is when they either engage in rather silly mimicry (the Herald's costume...) or just invent stuff out of thin air (the Canadian crown). It's hard to take either very seriously in the absence of actually having the King and Queen come to Canada which, to my mind, would have much more impact than tweaking symbols. One of the great things about the Royals is the degree to which they do know the country having visited more of it than most of us ever will. Yet almost 2 years after the accession and a year after the coronation no visit to the senior overseas realm (allowing for the cancer treatment I admit).

On the other hand, at least the lower level "private" visits by other Royals to the CAF continue: The Princess Royal visits British Columbia, Canada

I have to say she looks good in RCN uniforms.
I think we got a little spoiled with a Head of State who started her reign in her 20s as opposed to the King who is in his 70s and, as you say, now complicated with health issues.

There have been no lawful changes to designations of RCN ranks. The National Defence Act clearly states that such designations can only be made by the Governor in Council through regulations. The GiC has never amended the regulations.

I enjoy being grumpy. Age brings a certain license. Not to be abused.

Socially I am much more liberal now than I was as a youngster. Unfortunately for the Progressives they are still progressing much faster than I am comfortable with. On economics - still a free market capitalist. On authority - a voluntarily co-operating individual that resents the necessity of laws.

Heraldry is an artform that is explicitly designed to tell tales. It incorporates ancient symbols and colours and adds new ones. If heraldry is done right then it connects the present to the past. I don't see anything wrong with a Canadian Crown - done properly it would be commissioned by Charles and granted to the people of Canada. Perhaps with our own orb and sceptre although the sceptre is merely an ornate Talking Stick.

Last edited:
There have been no lawful changes to designations of RCN ranks. The National Defence Act clearly states that such designations can only be made by the Governor in Council through regulations. The GiC has never amended the regulations.
Ahh the age old ‘Bombardier’ problem

Tales of heraldry

1715200896575.png1715201213143.png1715201260912.png1715201343764.png

The Lion Rampant - Symbol of Scotland
But
The Lion Rampant Crowned is the symbol of the House of Habsburg
The Lion Rampant Uncrowned is the symbol of the Duchy of Holland - a client of the House of Hapsburg.
It is also the symbol of the Mormaer of Fife, the senior earl of Scotland who traditionally crowns the Kings of Scots
The Tressored Lion Rampant Uncrowned is the symbol of the Kings of Scots since William the Lion married Floris of Holland.
Effectively the badging suggests that the Kings of Scots, including Bruce, were seen as clients, if not vassals of the House of Hapsburg

Meanwhile, the three Lions of England come from Plantagenets and the Angevins by way of Eleanor of Aquitaine.
One Lion is Aquitaine proper
Two Lions are her holdings in Normandy.
Three Lions are her holdings in England.

1715201863539.png1715201919565.png1715201952466.png

I see nothing wrong with incorporating turtles, ravens and maple leaves, or even snowflakes, into our symbology. The trick is to treat the symbols as meaningful and not as a merely as logo for branding, or worse a throwaway, a sop, to people that feel that traditions mean something.

Following the actual legislative process is so Harper Era, not good enough for the young vibrant hip kid way of governance.

Back