• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

5/4 tons were issued to Blowpipe detachments. I see something like the Senator good for that role, as they won't be right at the front, but a bit behind. The trucks were fitted with racks, I seem to recall 8 reloads could be carried?

2imf1f5lz4d51.jpg
The missile storage was a bin that held 8 on the bed of the box. All the Det stores got piled ontop of the bin.

They were not the worst Det Vehicles, but they were not great, either.

The missile storage was a bin that held 8 on the bed of the box. All the Det stores got piled ontop of the bin.

They were not the worst Det Vehicles, but they were not great, either.
When I was BK G I was issued an M151 and trailer. The vehicle was crap for what I had to do (a whole lot of schlepping stuff around) so I traded it in for a 5/4 cargo. (Yeah, folks. We had so many serviceable vehicles in those days we could swap them around - eat your hearts out).

Never regretted it. They were good little trucks and hauled a bunch more than the 3/4s that they replaced. Little rough sometimes following an M109 gun battery's chewed up trails but pretty good.

šŸ»

Bars-8 mission variants​

The Bars-8 vehicle can be configured to perform different roles such as armoured personnel carrier (APC), tactical armoured mortar firing vehicle, APC with Iva (Willow) remote-controlled combat module, APC with Vij remote-controlled combat module, armoured ambulance vehicle, and APC with ground reconnaissance complex (Jab) and Enclave electronic jammer.

Bars-8 armoured vehicle design and features​

The Bars-8 all-terrain armoured vehicle is built on the Dodge Ram pick-up truckā€™s 4Ɨ4 wheeled chassis. Its gross vehicle weight and payload capacities are 10,000kg and 2,000kg respectively.

It is 6.70m-long, 2.52m-wide and 2.47m-high, and has a wheel base of 3.67m. It can carry up to ten personnel, including three crew members. The driver and commander seats are placed in the protected crew cabin, while the soldiers are seated in the troop compartment at the rear.

A forward view for the crew is provided through a two-piece windshield with bullet-resistant glass. Access to the crew compartment is enabled by two side doors, each fitted with a bulletproof glass window.

You just tow your 5/4 ton CP behind a M113, what can possibly go wrong....
I liked the 5/4 ton CP. In 3 Horse we used M577s, but the ARes had them and they were a great step up from the TPUs. You could stand up inside one and move around which wasn't possible/easy in a TPU. Also no BB46 batteries to care for. You had to watch out for the little sand traps that were on the trails at the tops of most little hillocks in Shilo but those weren't hard to back out of.

It's hard to be critical of the first new fleet of trucks we got after a quarter of a century working with the old ones.

:giggle:

I recall C Sqn RCD using a Leopard to tow a 5/4 down a tank track in Gagetown to get it into a hideā€¦with the result of entirely removing the under carriageā€¦.
The power that tanks have is insane. I was high centered on mini hill in Wainwright and an ARV came by and said hey we can get you off of there and we hooked up their tow strap. They didn't even give us a chance to put it into drive. They just pulled, destroyed their tow strap and we leveled the hill but got the LAV out.

Unfortunately it also broke three of our control arms so we ended up just sitting there waiting for more recovery assets

Back