• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FORCE test, COVID and PERs

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, anyone know what the direction this year will be on PERs for lapsed FORCES test and COVID?

With the various lockdowns, and restricting part 1&2 medicals for OUTCANS/deployments, probably not alone in looking at no path to having a valid test this year, so wondering if there will be a 'not tested due to COVID' allowance on PERs this year without the normal penalties you would get for lapsing without some kind of valid personal medical reason or similar.

FORCE tests where I am at have been an "on/off/on" situation; just today, direction came out that FORCE tests are "on" again. However, Comd direction (WComd level) is also that you will do your FORCE test on your month of birth, or as required before that for promotions, deployments. This direction is a management strategy so that there is some order to 'who does it when' because of the significant backlog.

* Aircrew and, I'm assuming divers, are continuing to do their Pt 1 and 2 medicals.

My personal challenge is there is currently no routine bookings for part 1&2 medicals, so unless you are OUTCAN, deploying, air crew, diver etc. you are SOL, and that's been the party line since at least the summer.

In Ontario, so we're locked down again for another two months, but assuming force tests are off again.

Just a check in the box for me this year, and with the pandemic haven't been worried about it, but figured I'd ask here first. Between the provincial lockdown and a personal quarantine I had to do think I'm up to 4 months total this year, but getting dinged for it would be pretty 2020.

FORCE tests where I am at have been an "on/off/on" situation; just today, direction came out that FORCE tests are "on" again. However, Comd direction (WComd level) is also that you will do your FORCE test on your month of birth, or as required before that for promotions, deployments. This direction is a management strategy so that there is some order to 'who does it when' because of the significant backlog.

* Aircrew and, I'm assuming divers, are continuing to do their Pt 1 and 2 medicals.
We (Ottawa NCR) were scheduled to re-start FORCE tests next month, and an allocation for L1's and timings was distributed. Not sure what the latest provincial regulations mean in terms of implications.

They've been shut down in Winnipeg since last Feb, so everyone here will be expired.

I would expect this to be addressed in the annual PER CANFORGEN, which is usually sent out end Feb after people have been writing PERs for 3 months already....
The best part about my position right now is not writing PDRs/PERs. The madness of mid-Jan first PER drafts is just a distant memory now...

The best part about my position right now is not writing PDRs/PERs. The madness of mid-Jan first PER drafts is just a distant memory now...
For one of the few times since I was a Private 40 years ago (I also had no PERs doing undergrad and post grad, or as an LO in a foreign capitol), I do not have to worry about PERs....

CFPAS provides direction - it has for years. PT Test yes or no, no comments required. CFPAS mentions that any admin measures are a unit function and no impact to PER scoring is implied. Not even SCRIT covers PT test.

The only official direction that states FOrCE test is required is FGBL (along with weapons handling, NBCD, etc).

CFPAS provides direction - it has for years. PT Test yes or no, no comments required. CFPAS mentions that any admin measures are a unit function and no impact to PER scoring is implied. Not even SCRIT covers PT test.

The only official direction that states FOrCE test is required is FGBL (along with weapons handling, NBCD, etc).
You may want to read CANFORGEN 087/06. It requires a valid PT test for promotion. Furthermore, CANFORGEN 022/19 required a valid PT test to be admissible to the promotion boards but that was superseded by CANFORGEN 132/19. The direction from 087/06 remains however.

Last year the direction re: FORCE tests/promotion came out after the PER CANFORGEN; anyone who is curious to see what last years direction was:

CANFORGEN 071/20 Direction on promotions during APS 20 in response to COVID-19

4. PROMOTION CRITERIA. EXCEPTIONS TO CRITERIA FOR PROMOTION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED AND REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THE 2020 PROMOTION YEAR ONLY. THESE ARE NOT RETROACTIVE TO PREVIOUS YEARS PROMOTION LISTS NOR TO FUTURE YEARS PROMOTION LISTS. THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS:

b. PHYSICAL FITNESS. NOTWITHSTANDING PREREQUISITES LISTED AT REF D, SINCE THE CONDUCT OF FORCE TESTS IS CURRENTLY LIMITED EXCLUSIVELY TO SUPPORTING CAF OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS, MEMBERS WHO DO NOT HOLD A CURRENT FORCE TEST AT THE TIME OF THEIR INTENDED PROMOTION WILL BE EXCUSED FROM HAVING A CURRENT FORCE TEST FOR THE 2020 PROMOTION YEAR

(Ref D to 071/20 is CANFORGEN 012/17 DE-LINKING OF MEDICAL CONDITION FROM PROMOTION CRITERIA)

Last year the direction re: FORCE tests/promotion came out after the PER CANFORGEN; anyone who is curious to see what last years direction was:

CANFORGEN 071/20 Direction on promotions during APS 20 in response to COVID-19

4. PROMOTION CRITERIA. EXCEPTIONS TO CRITERIA FOR PROMOTION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED AND REMAIN IN EFFECT FOR THE 2020 PROMOTION YEAR ONLY. THESE ARE NOT RETROACTIVE TO PREVIOUS YEARS PROMOTION LISTS NOR TO FUTURE YEARS PROMOTION LISTS. THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS:

b. PHYSICAL FITNESS. NOTWITHSTANDING PREREQUISITES LISTED AT REF D, SINCE THE CONDUCT OF FORCE TESTS IS CURRENTLY LIMITED EXCLUSIVELY TO SUPPORTING CAF OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS, MEMBERS WHO DO NOT HOLD A CURRENT FORCE TEST AT THE TIME OF THEIR INTENDED PROMOTION WILL BE EXCUSED FROM HAVING A CURRENT FORCE TEST FOR THE 2020 PROMOTION YEAR

(Ref D to 071/20 is CANFORGEN 012/17 DE-LINKING OF MEDICAL CONDITION FROM PROMOTION CRITERIA)

Why not do it outside like, you know, that 'train like we fight' thing? :)

Forethought? Fun (without the "forced")?
would you like to know more starship troopers GIF

Why not do it outside like, you know, that 'train like we fight' thing? :)

Actually one the problems we ran into was that, in the Reg Force, since it's supposed to be the PSP that runs our tests for us, even if we had a qualified person run the test for us (and there were qualified people, since originally the plan was to enable us to run our own tests so people had the qualification done already), they would not recognize it and enter it into the system.

Where's that emoji for shooting ourselves in the foot when you need it.

Actually one the problems we ran into was that, in the Reg Force, since it's supposed to be the PSP that runs our tests for us, even if we had a qualified person run the test for us (and there were qualified people, since originally the plan was to enable us to run our own tests so people had the qualification done already), they would not recognize it and enter it into the system.

Where's that emoji for shooting ourselves in the foot when you need it.
I‘d post a PSP logo if we had one :)

I find it pretty insulting that the CAF doesn't trust Snr NCOs, Warrant/Pretty Officers and Officers to administer something as simple as a PT test. How "qualified" does someone need to be to watch someone lift sandbags above a line of tape on a wall the required amount of times?

This is what happens when mini-empires are allowed to establish themselves. There is far too much civilian control in the modern military, for my liking.

Back