• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Let me set the record straight, the current situation sucks. As a result of decades of allowing homegrown pharmaceutical manufacturing capability to wither and die we are now stuck hoping big pharma and other countries allow us to get the the vaccines we need.

but short of invading other countries and stealing their vaccines, I don't see how anyone could have done anything different.
If you can't critically think about how we could have been better by using the myriad of success stories from other countries on vaccine procurement and/or production, I'm wasting my time.

If you can't critically think about how we could have been better by using the myriad of success stories from other countries on vaccine procurement and/or production, I'm wasting my time.
Israel- 80 percent
Seychelles- 63 percent vaccinated (Pop 91k)
U.A.E.-53 percent
Bahrain- 17 percent
Chile-13 percent
Maldives-9 percent
Turkey-8 percent (SinoVac)
Monaco- 6 percent
Singapore-4.5 percent

Canada 3.8 percent

The only ones ahead of Canada not in the EU or the USA, and not producing it at home like the UK is.

So...yeah, I guess? I am curious as to how Israel has been gangbusters in this.

Israel paid top dollar, extremely early on, to secure more doses than it could use. It was ahead of most countries when it came to securing it's vaccine amounts.

Israel also has geography on it's side. Geographically speaking, it is able to get the vaccines to where they are needed substantially easier than we can in Canada.

All in all, Canada hasn't performed well at all when it comes to vaccination rates. Poor leadership at every level has left us with mediocre results, at best. (Not just with this, but with almost everything.)

Israel paid top dollar, extremely early on, to secure more doses than it could use. It was ahead of most countries when it came to securing it's vaccine amounts.

Israel also has geography on it's side. Geographically speaking, it is able to get the vaccines to where they are needed substantially easier than we can in Canada.

All in all, Canada hasn't performed well at all when it comes to vaccination rates. Poor leadership at every level has left us with mediocre results, at best. (Not just with this, but with almost everything.)
And let's not forget that Israel has a national security imperative that we do not face, which factored in to their planning and calculations

Given that the link I provided had absolutely nothing to do with polling, it was readily apparent that you didn’t click it. Given that I even described what I was, it’s equally apparent you were quite selective in what you bothered to read.

Out of curiosity, what facts underlie your claim that CTV is a ‘bought off’ media outlet?

Here’s another interesting article from the National Post. It’s called “The Media Subsidy Myth”. I’m probably wasting my time offering it to you though. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kevin-crull-the-media-subsidy-myth
Read my response again. The part where I said I didn't read your link. Selective reading?

Read my response again. The part where I said I didn't read your link. Selective reading?
You spoke of polling in the same sentence you admitted to not reading the info I linked to. When you stick your fingers in your ears and make a point of telling us you’re doing so, you don’t get the benefit of doubt when you then fail to express yourself with clarity.

So, did you enjoy the National Post piece about media funding?

Given that the link I provided had absolutely nothing to do with polling, it was readily apparent that you didn’t click it. Given that I even described what I was, it’s equally apparent you were quite selective in what you bothered to read.

Out of curiosity, what facts underlie your claim that CTV is a ‘bought off’ media outlet?

Here’s another interesting article from the National Post. It’s called “The Media Subsidy Myth”. I’m probably wasting my time offering it to you though. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kevin-crull-the-media-subsidy-myth
The article you are quoting above, and it's subject, I believe, is different from the discussion that FJ is bringing to the table. And according to the article below, CTV is not eligible for funding.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/canada-...al-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082

Last edited:
The article you are quoting above, and it's subject, I believe, is different from the discussion that FJ is bringing to the table. And according to the article below, CTV is not eligible for funding.

https://election.ctvnews.ca/canada-...al-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082
I believe you’re correct. I actually read the CTV article you posted first, but didn’t choose to share it because I didn’t think it ideal to use CTV as a source for CTV not being “bought media”. But yes, the one you posted is much more up to date. I was sloppy on checking the date.

I believe you’re correct. I actually read the CTV article you posted first, but didn’t choose to share it because I didn’t think it ideal to use CTV as a source for CTV not being “bought media”. But yes, the one you posted is much more up to date. I was sloppy on checking the date.
Not trying to be an a-hole, just keeping the context.

Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccination plan is being splintered off into 34 different sets of delivery models as the province tasks each local public health unit with creating their own strategy for administering the vaccine to residents of their regions.

The province’s Progressive Conservative government said each local medical officer of health has already submitted a plan for how they will inoculate priority groups in the weeks and months ahead, which are all being characterized by the government as being “unique.”

Oh god, this will end well....

The local health units are best placed to decide what their particular areas require. I prefer someone with local knowledge to make these decisions rather than someone in Toronto who has never been here. Gen Hiller is in charge of our overall distribution, I trust his judgement.

Of course, you could always trust Dr.Tam to steer you right🤣

As an aside, I heard that the US is vaccinating more people in one day than Canada has in total, since the start. Just an observation.

I don't have a problem with it either. The local PHU has a better understanding of the local geography, demography and available health care resources. I don't even want to local MPP involved.

They're still working within provincial guidelines.

Oh god, this will end well....
So the method to vaccinate people in eight square blocks of Toronto should be the same as that to vaccinate a similar number of people in an area equivalent to Belgium and Holland combined???

What’s your next straw man of affront? 🙄

Yup, let local authorities handle local realities. They have the network of care providers and clinicians, they know their turf best. “Mission command”, as it were. The company commander says “we advance to contact that way”. The section commander tells Charlie team to take the trench.

Yup, let local authorities handle local realities.

Nice to read Queen's Park will be staying out of this.

Back