• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

The Canada Health Act imposes a single-payer system that is unsustainable. Almost every OECD country has universal health care (I"m not sure about Chile and Columbia) but only one has a law that forbids private funding. Every year, here in Canada, elected leaders must decide how to fund an ever-growing demand for health services. They have two choices: 1. raise taxes ~ something that can be political suicide; or 2. cut funding for e.g. education or transportation. They can also beg Ottawa to increase transfers. They cannot tell people to buy additional health insurance as the people of Australia, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark and Estonia all do. There might be a reason why no other OECD country ever copied Canada's health care system.

What Tommy Douglas promised, back in the 1950s, was relief from "catastrophic medical bills." No one, I hope, wants to go back to the days ~ and they really existed ~ when the state of the family purse decided if a doctor could be called or home remedies would have to suffice. But few people expected to walk out of a doctor's office without having to have paid at least something for the service rendered. The Canada Health Act takes Karl Marx's dictum of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" to its logical extreme.
In my household in the 60's, dental bills were what caused agonizing decisions, literally between treatment and food. The home remedy was cloves. Braces were for the rich kids.
The advent of supplemental dental insurance has completely changed that paradigm, and incidentally (sorry, couldn't resist), ensured that today, you can't pass a corner mall in any major Canadian city without seeing a dentist or optometrist.

Not really hard at all. The OECD has been publishing data on health care for years ~ OECD Health Statistics 2020 - OECD ~ and Canada has, consistently, been amongst the countries with more expensive health care systems but, also, near the very bottom of the heap when it comes to health care quality as the OECD defines "outcomes."

A solid majority of Canadians believes that Canada's health care system is "world-class" and so on, while, much to the intense satisfaction of most people on the über progressive left, Americans are dying on the street because they have no health insurance or something. A solid majority of Canadians are delusional ... on both counts.

The Canada Health Act imposes a single-payer system that is unsustainable. Almost every OECD country has universal health care (I"m not sure about Chile and Columbia) but only one has a law that forbids private funding. Every year, here in Canada, elected leaders must decide how to fund an ever-growing demand for health services. They have two choices: 1. raise taxes ~ something that can be political suicide; or 2. cut funding for e.g. education or transportation. They can also beg Ottawa to increase transfers. They cannot tell people to buy additional health insurance as the people of Australia, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark and Estonia all do. There might be a reason why no other OECD country ever copied Canada's health care system.

What Tommy Douglas promised, back in the 1950s, was relief from "catastrophic medical bills." No one, I hope, wants to go back to the days ~ and they really existed ~ when the state of the family purse decided if a doctor could be called or home remedies would have to suffice. But few people expected to walk out of a doctor's office without having to have paid at least something for the service rendered. The Canada Health Act takes Karl Marx's dictum of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" to its logical extreme.
I think we're pretty fortunate in Canada. For example, in Ontario, a trip to the ER - by Land or Air ambulance - is only $45. If you have private insurance, they will pay the $45. Compare that to the U.S.!

We also have some pretty good employers. My father had good benefits. I'll always be grateful to the people I worked for. They let me cash in my Sick Bank when I retired, continued my benefits for 10 years after I retired, and provide a Health Care Spending Account ( HCSA ) for another 10 years after that.

I think we're pretty fortunate in Canada. For example, in Ontario, a trip to the ER - by Land or Air ambulance - is only $45. If you have private insurance, they will pay the $45. Compare that to the U.S.!

We also have some pretty good employers. My father had good benefits. I'll always be grateful to the people I worked for. They let me cash in my Sick Bank when I retired, continued my benefits for 10 years after I retired, and provide a Health Care Spending Account ( HCSA ) for another 10 years after that.
Thank your union for their negotiating acumen.

Every jail in Ontario has been offered in house shots for guards and inmates. Large percentage of inmates would not partake.
The fact you don't know that means to me that there is media phugery going on to make things seem worse.
It’s likely that that particular piece of info is not one that has been made public by the provincial ministry. I can’t see them being keen to advertise that so few inmates were willing to get the vaccine.

Thank your union for their negotiating acumen.
That's what you pay your dues for.

But, I think of the good people of the city who supported us. They knew we always did our best.

I remember every St. Patrick's Day a local lady used to come by the station with a cake ( green, of course ) that simply said, "For the Boys".

Sometimes the employer either could not afford, or said they could not afford, much of a pay raise. But, in return they offered improvements in benefits. That looked good at election time. But, when it came time to "pay the piper", there was a certain local paper that never failed to go into a rage chant about "Stop the gravy train!" Never mentioning the circumstances the employer was in at the time the agreement was negotiated. After I retired, the Sick Bank Gratuity became a very contentious issue. It had been around since before I joined, and I think most people had forgotten about it until someone brought it up.

I guess they figured us Baby Boomers were never going to retire.

Every jail in Ontario has been offered in house shots for guards and inmates. Large percentage of inmates would not partake.
The fact you don't know that means to me that there is media phugery going on to make things seem worse.
As the State has incarcerated these folks in somewhat crowded conditions, I can fully accept that the medical community has determined that they are at higher risk for infection, and thus get priority. But, not partaking in a medical intervention that would improve immeasurably your chances of not getting sick or dying, or infecting others, seems to me a personal choice. Any individual animosity to the "system" aside, this is not a penal crisis, it is a societal crisis. However, I suspect that if most had made the rational decision in the past, they would not be in their current predicament.

It’s likely that that particular piece of info is not one that has been made public by the provincial ministry. I can’t see them being keen to advertise that so few inmates were willing to get the vaccine.

And of course to certain folk its not the inmates fault, no access to information?? Friggin' TV's are on CP24 all day in the areas.

Not really hard at all. The OECD has been publishing data on health care for years ~ OECD Health Statistics 2020 - OECD ~ and Canada has, consistently, been amongst the countries with more expensive health care systems but, also, near the very bottom of the heap when it comes to health care quality as the OECD defines "outcomes."

A solid majority of Canadians believes that Canada's health care system is "world-class" and so on, while, much to the intense satisfaction of most people on the über progressive left, Americans are dying on the street because they have no health insurance or something. A solid majority of Canadians are delusional ... on both counts.

Canada has the misfortune to have the USA as a neighbour, as we look at them and think our health care system is much more fair.

But we don't look at Europe who is leaps and bounds ahead of both Canada and the USA due to their two tier system.

And of course to certain folk its not the inmates fault, no access to information?? Friggin' TV's are on CP24 all day in the areas.
I stand corrected, thanks.

Hopefully they can increase uptake. If not, well, there are plenty of other people who will consent to receive the vaccine. Just get those opportunities out there as broadly as supply allows.

And replacing Gen (Ret'd) Hillier as Ontario vaccine czar . . . another soldier.

Dr. Homer Tien, Ornge Air Ambulance CEO, to lead Ontario's COVID-19 vaccine distribution task force​

Tien to replace retired Gen. Rick Hillier as chair of the task force

The Ontario government says it has chosen Dr. Homer Tien, the CEO and president of Ornge Air Ambulance, to lead its COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Task Force.

Tien, also a trauma surgeon at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, will be the "operational lead" of the task force as the province prepares to move into Phase 2 of its COVID-19 vaccine rollout, according to Stephen Warner, spokesperson for Solicitor General Sylvia Jones.

Tien's official title is chair of the task force and he replaces retired Gen. Rick Hillier in that role. Hillier stepped down when his contract expired on March 31. He declined a request to stay on.

"Dr. Tien has been part of the Task Force since it was established and has worked closely with the province on leading Operation Remote Immunity," Warner said in an email on Sunday,
. . .

Good choice. And probably has a better understanding of the challenges of public health issues and administration.

It's OK, they didn't wind up charging anyone at Ornge about the 'kickback' thing ;)

OPP not laying charges in ORNGE air ambulance case​

The Ontario Provincial Police has “insufficient evidence” to lay charges in the ORNGE air ambulance scandal, following a six year investigative probe of kickbacks.

“The lack of accountability and transparency in the (ORNGE) business records, the variance in perspectives and the lack of cooperation of key persons involved collectively has prevented an evidence-based finding from being made,” the force says in a detailed investigative summary.

ORNGE is the province’s government-funded air ambulance system. A series of Star stories on financial and safety irregularities with the vital service led to a complete overhaul of the agency in 2012. Top bosses including Dr. Chris Mazza, the president, were shown the door and a new board of directors was brought in. The OPP began an investigation in February 2012 focusing on allegations that the Italian company that supplied $144 million in helicopters was overpaid by ORNGE, and $4.7 million was flowed back to a company controlled by Mazza.

In a lengthy document the OPP released Thursday morning, huge portions dealing with what investigators turned up are blacked out. In some cases they refer to the cost increase from the original purchase price of the helicopters to a new, higher price.

Let's hope he does a good job on this front, we need every province doing their best right now.

For the record, Quebec has about 800k unused vaccines right now, Ontario 1.5 million unused.

Everyone had better be ramping up.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the federal government informed all the provinces what the contracted delivery dates were from all the manufacturers? That would certainly facilitate more comprehensive planning. The “Surprise! Here’s half a million doses, get at it!” is not a reasonable planning environment.

Back