• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

The problem is that the conservatives played a major role in enabling that boogey man reputation.

Yeah, the argument in the press goes something like this:

"You're racists".

"No, we're not."

"Aha! Denial is the first sign of racism."

Doesn't matter if the CPC has firstly said that it won't take up policy "X" if the topic is raised, and secondly has not taken up policy "X" when the topic is raised.

The LPC, meanwhile, can have its shenanigans right in the middle of governing.

If they can stop beating themselves up with their own hands maybe. I won’t hold my breath. The latest shenanigans aren’t inspiring confidence.
It reminds me of Trump pondering to the base -- the base is going to vote that way anyway - the swing voters the important ones. Alienating them is a guaranteed loss

The LPC knows its main turf fight is with the NDP. That's where it's going to move.

If you want a centrist conservative party, the best place to start is the nominally conservative party. You're outnumbered by the centre-left and left in the LPC.
And tell the entire caucus, “okay, no more private member bills bringing shades of abortion control to the fore…” That doesn’t do anything to convince people you aren’t anti-reformation. I get it that there was some reasonably arguable logic for some of the bills, but it was very poorly presented externally, and the LPC spin-machine did Yoeman service making the Cons look like they wanted to abolish abortion or worse…

Yeah, the argument in the press goes something like this:

"You're racists".

"No, we're not."

"Aha! Denial is the first sign of racism."

Doesn't matter if the CPC has firstly said that it won't take up policy "X" if the topic is raised, and secondly has not taken up policy "X" when the topic is raised.

The LPC, meanwhile, can have its shenanigans right in the middle of governing.
O’toole took lessons from how Scheer mishandled the abortion and LBGTQ questions. He handled both well and it was a non issue despite attempts by the LPC to do so.

Scheer and others were and are just as much to blame as the media and the LPC that shaped the discussion. It’s why he lost to a corrupt party.

And tell the entire caucus, “okay, no more private member bills bringing shades of abortion control to the fore…” That doesn’t do anything to convince people you aren’t anti-reformation. I get it that there was some reasonably arguable logic for some of the bills, but it was very poorly presented externally, and the LPC spin-machine did Yoeman service making the Cons look like they wanted to abolish abortion or worse…
Yep. They aren’t doing themselves any favours.

Frankly the CPC is a centralist party - the Reform movement dragged it briefly to the Right - and then it has drifted back further to the left.

Canada is the Boiling Frog of Conservatism - the change has been slow that most Conservatives still think they are actually conservatives - not Liberals...

Meanwhile people fear monger the incredibly uninformed electorate into thinking the bogeyman exists in the CPC, and the corruption party wins again.
I cannot believe how effective the fearmongering is on the CPC. One guy I know even though he hates Trudeau and what the Liberals are doing (he is more towards what the Liberal Party was 20 years ago), voted for the Liberals because the Conservatives 'were going to take away public health care'.

The fact that such a crock of BS is able to work at all, much like the abortion fearmongering, or the 'they are going to let anyone run around with full auto machine guns' fearmongering, is insane. It blows my mind how vapid most Canadians actually are.

Politics really comes down to compromise - Parties need to find a way to attract enough voters to their side while not totally betraying their "cause"
I am very right on social issues - but I am a realist (or enough of one) to know that hard line on abortion and a few other issues is not politically achievable at this point.

I cannot believe how effective the fearmongering is on the CPC. One guy I know even though he hates Trudeau and what the Liberals are doing (he is more towards what the Liberal Party was 20 years ago), voted for the Liberals because the Conservatives 'were going to take away public health care'.

The fact that such a crock of BS is able to work at all, much like the abortion fearmongering, or the 'they are going to let anyone run around with full auto machine guns' fearmongering, is insane. It blows my mind how vapid most Canadians actually are.
Everyone continues to ignore the biased and corrupt media establishment's role in all of this. Once you understand this and you see the "news" for what it is, you wouldn't feel the same way about the LPC or the CPC that is being portrayed in the media. The voting outcome would be far different. But the crooked politicians know that an uninformed electorate can be easily manipulated. A clear example of this is how Trudeau has escaped all of his scandals relatively unscathed. There is not a right leaning politician on the planet that would have survived half of those scandals, the media would have beat that drum endlessly (like they did to Trump) until their mission was accomplished.

Everyone continues to ignore the biased and corrupt media establishment's role in all of this. Once you understand this and you see the "news" for what it is, you wouldn't feel the same way about the LPC or the CPC that is being portrayed in the media. The voting outcome would be far different. But the crooked politicians know that an uninformed electorate can be easily manipulated. A clear example of this is how Trudeau has escaped all of his scandals relatively unscathed. There is not a right leaning politician on the planet that would have survived half of those scandals, the media would have beat that drum endlessly (like they did to Trump) until their mission was accomplished.
If the Conservatives got their house in order the media would be a non issue.

This is a complete and unequivocally false statement and you know it.
It's not. So long as the opposition with the best chance of winning the election, in this case the Conservatives, are off base with the majority of Canadians, the 65 out of 100 that vote LPC NDP and BQ then it matters little what Trudeau does or doesn't do.

Progressives learned the lesson of the Harper years, which are no matter much we may dislike the LPC and whatever scandal they get themselves wrapped up in, we like it better than the CPC in power. That has much less to do with the media and more with the CPC not being a viable alternative for Progressive voters.

If the Conservatives found a cure for cancer the Liberals would find a way to accuse Conservatives of taking jobs away from female and POC health care workers while defunding charities.
The LPC found a way to catch up and surpass the USA in terms of vaccinations, I didn't hear the CPC congratulate them.

Welcome to politics I guess.

While I would love to talk about how much the media is biased, I really don't care and real politics is happening.

OTTAWA -- Erin O'Toole kicked Sen. Denise Batters out of the Conservative caucus Tuesday -- one day after she challenged his leadership.

"As the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, I will not tolerate an individual discrediting and showing a clear lack of respect towards the efforts of the entire Conservative caucus, who are holding the corrupt and disastrous Trudeau government to account," O'Toole said in a brief statement released late Tuesday.

But she signalled in a Twitter post that she has no intention of backing off her petition, even though the party's president has said it's invalid.

"Tonight, Erin O'Toole tried to silence me for giving our .CPC members a voice. I will not be silenced by a leader so weak that he fired me VIA VOICEMAIL. Most importantly, he cannot suppress the will of our Conservative Party members! Sign the petition," she tweeted.
Batters is 51 years old, she's going to be on the hill and in the senate long after O'Toole is gone, so kicking her out does very little fundamentally to her.

Either way.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

While I would love to talk about how much the media is biased, I really don't care and real politics is happening.

Batters is 51 years old, she's going to be on the hill and in the senate long after O'Toole is gone, so kicking her out does very little fundamentally to her.

Either way.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF
He needs to kick out a few more. This sends a strong signal.

The LPC found a way to catch up and surpass the USA in terms of vaccinations, I didn't hear the CPC congratulate them.
Could be that thousands of people were still dying and the Conservatives thought it wouldn't be tactful. Especially after our afraid to upset China, travel bans are racist start out of the gate.

Back