• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VR triggers PCAT and AR-MEL if on TCAT?

navygravy

Inactive
Reaction score
HI all! Sorry for the double posts in another section

Without going into too much detail, I have sustained an injury for which I am about to wrap up my 2nd 6 month TCAT for. The prognosis is poor and surgery is not recommended. Knowing this after meeting with the surgeon (civilian) I approached my MO and asked what the next steps were. He proceeded to inform me of the traditional timelines (7-9 months for D Med Pol + 6 months for DMCA AR-MEL + release message time). The MO then proceeded to inform me however that if I was keen to "move on" as I had indicated due to the poor prognosis, that since I was already on a TCAT submitting a VR automatically triggers and expedited D Med Pol review and subsequent AR-MEL based on the eventual PCAT. I inferred from him that this procedure exists as a safety net to ensure the CAF doesn't unknowingly VR those who aren't medically ready to be released (That sounds like the right way to take care of veterans honestly!).

I took from the conversation with the MO that although one may submit a VR, DMCA will instead provide a 3b release message if deemed to breach UoS regardless of the original intent to VR. He didn't explicitly say 3B, but kept referring to it as a medical release. This is something that I had vaguely heard of from others however never paid much attention to it until I myself became injured (go figure :ROFLMAO: ).

Just wondering if anyone out there has experienced this first hand!

Thanks!

I have seen AR-MEL expedited because of a member wanting release, but I have never seen one initiated because of a member submitting a release.

Without going into too much detail,

I think your MO is an ass for trying to tell you how to game the system.

There are people who try this and fall through the cracks and end up with a month left until their VR date and their file sitting on someone's desk somewhere. Then it's a mad panic on already exhausted people and resources to try and unfuck your situation.

If you do put your VR in with the intent of trying to skip everyone else who has been patiently waiting than you'll want to make your medical team aware so they can ping Ottawa and ask your file to be expidited.

Since you were already talking to your MO I'm wondering why they didn't submit a pcat recommendation to Ottawa since it appears they think you need one.

Its got absolutely nothing about gaming the system. I'm allowed to want and decide to VR while on TCAT or PCAT and I'm simultaneously allowed to know what the process will be. I'd be a fool to not know.

My PCAT recommendation is moving forward. Again, I'm not intending to do anything you're suggesting - I simply want to VR and have been told I'll likely still receive a medical release which was a surprise to me.

Last edited:
You need to ask this question to the release section.
absolutely!!! this all happened just before the weekend so figured i'd reach out to see if anyone had personal experience since I cant do anything until monday

My PCAT recommendation is moving forward. Again, I'm not intending to do anything you're suggesting - I simply want to VR and have been told I'll likely still receive a medical release which was a surprise to me.

You worded it in such a way that indicated your MO suggested you VR in order to skip the aforementioned waiting period.

I'm not in the medical field so maybe I'm talking out of my ass. That said telling you you'll likely get a 3B release may not be the best practice either. Some CAF members get quite the surprise when they're told they're more than likely getting a medical release only to have their file come back form Ottawa saying low risk pcat, give you an option to CMOT to a couple different trades and if you don't like it then you're out. Luckily (or unluckily) for you it doesn't sound like that's your situation. If your MO put you up for a pcat before your 2nd t cat was up and before the surgeons prognosis (if I'm understanding the timeline right) then it's pretty serious.

In any case good luck (just whatever you do don't assume it's automatic, follow up on it)

You worded it in such a way that indicated your MO suggested you VR in order to skip the aforementioned waiting period
Yeah, I guess I could have been clearer that I already wanted to VR
That said telling you you'll likely get a 3B release may not be the best practice either. Some CAF members get quite the surprise when they're told they're more than likely getting a medical release only to have their file come back form Ottawa saying low risk pcat, give you an option to CMOT to a couple different trades and if you don't like it then you're out.
Oh for sure, he actually caught himself and said nothing is 100%. Maybe it's because my injury is such that it will prevent me from ever doing even a FORCE test so it probably makes a compulsory OT pretty hard and why he's fairly confident
Luckily (or unluckily) for you it doesn't sound like that's your situation. If your MO put you up for a pcat before your 2nd t cat was up and before the surgeons prognosis (if I'm understanding the timeline right) then it's pretty serious.

In any case good luck (just whatever you do don't assume it's automatic, follow up on it)
so my MO is starting the PCAT recommendation which I think goes to the base surgeon next then to D MED POL. I had previously been seeing a civilian surgeon as part of my ordered treatment. I'm only a few weeks away from the end of my 2nd TCAT so this was basically my follow up appointment.

THANKS! I appreciate it

Back