• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

Yes, but 1 medium and 1 heavy. Not two different models of the same role. Which you identify also below.
The Mack truck replaced the 10 ton, and the International replaced the MLVW (for the Reserves anyways). Two trucks two different but similar roles. One Heavy one medium. Replacing the Heavy and medium trucks we had.
The Mack truck comes in Cargo, Troop, Hook lift, Engineer version etc.

The Navistar can be armoured?
Third video on the bottom.

But Canada probably did not get the ITAR, ACTAR, SSA’s , IP, PMO, POTUS, approvals to evaluate and or options for the Armored cab.

But yes the truck has the ability to be armored, which is interesting that we bought something is actually upgradable without redeveloping the whole thing.
That truck is growing on me more and more. Add a Emissions delete kit and the truck would be pretty bullet proof mechanical wise.

The Mack truck replaced the 10 ton, and the International replaced the MLVW (for the Reserves anyways). Two trucks two different but similar roles. One Heavy one medium. Replacing the Heavy and medium trucks we had.
The Mack truck comes in Cargo, Troop, Hook lift, Engineer version etc.
Close, the MACK does not replace the HLVW, that's a separate project under the LVM. What happened was the MSVS contract was cut short because some one realized they can't go over seas. The contract was cut short and the MSVS SMP project was created leading to the Mack. Both are MLVW replacements, with the MILCOT version being for the ARes primarily. SMP is primarily regular force due to its ability to be used over seas, but the ARes does have a few

You are wrong.

MSVS was always intended to acquire two fleets, sequentially. (together with new shelters, and limited outfitting of those shelters). The MilCOTS contract was not cut short.

I thought the Treasury Board cancelled the SMP part of the Navistar purchase and made DND/CAF go through with a second contract because the first was over budget or not budgetted?

It would be interesting to see a RFI bid put out country wide, see what they come up with. A few people might be surprised. Lots of Manufactures out West build multi million dollar one off projects all the time. Do a fine job of it.

As a proud Westerner myself, if not native, I would remind - Western Star version of Iveco

1663606133319.png

As a proud Westerner myself, if not native, I would remind - Western Star version of Iveco

View attachment 73647
That was a vehicle not spec'd by Western Star. They were given the specs to build a vehicle. They built it and did a decent job
That was a government engineer who did wrong on that one.

As for the LSVW it's popularity with the civilian market is very interesting.
Besides brakes being annoying thats the only real issue I seen with them.

Close, the MACK does not replace the HLVW, that's a separate project under the LVM. What happened was the MSVS contract was cut short because some one realized they can't go over seas. The contract was cut short and the MSVS SMP project was created leading to the Mack. Both are MLVW replacements, with the MILCOT version being for the ARes primarily. SMP is primarily regular force due to its ability to be used over seas, but the ARes does have a few
Why can't the navistar go overseas? They seem to sell them worldwide?

That was a vehicle not spec'd by Western Star. They were given the specs to build a vehicle. They built it and did a decent job
That was a government engineer who did wrong on that one.

As for the LSVW it's popularity with the civilian market is very interesting.
Besides brakes being annoying thats the only real issue I seen with them.
Because ordinary people can fix and alter them without being held to a rigid guideline or are not waiting for parts.

Because ordinary people can fix and alter them without being held to a rigid guideline or are not waiting for parts.
The Canadian way of doing things is broken.
We were on exercise once in Yakima. Blew a air line on my Gun Tractor. They were going to flat bed the truck home do to no parts.
I took a drive down to the local parts place. Had a new line made. The Mechanics installed it and the truck drove home. Saved about $2150 or so on the flat bed.
The US army does local purchase on common parts all the time. Especially if not in stock at their stores man

Why can't the navistar go overseas? They seem to sell them worldwide?
Well Navistars are not really sold worldwide. North America and Australia mostly. You may see specials every now and then. Now that Navistar is part of Traton (VW trucks) it will be interesting to what they can offer next time. The field is narrowing. Volvo (Mack, Volvo, Nova, Provost, Renault truck, Arquus), Daimler (MB, Western Star, Freightliner, Dharat, FUSO), Traton (VW, Navistar, International, MAN, Scania) Hino/Toyota, and Paccar (Peterbuilt, Kenthworth DAF) Paccar is the only builder of trucks left in Canada. All other plants have closed, International in Chatham closed almost the same month DND announced the buying of the Navistar MSVS Civilian pattern. To put things in prospective it was pointed out the buy was about a weeks worth of production in the big Texas International plant. Also Oshkosh makes London cement mixers in Canada just the mixer part.

Third video on the bottom.

But Canada probably did not get the ITAR, ACTAR, SSA’s , IP, PMO, POTUS, approvals to evaluate and or options for the Armored cab.

But yes the truck has the ability to be armored, which is interesting that we bought something is actually upgradable without redeveloping the whole thing.
That truck is growing on me more and more. Add a Emissions delete kit and the truck would be pretty bullet proof mechanical wise.
That is a lot of work, the video says hours but they are using a brand new truck. As a truck mechanic I say that anything that has seen the field that job will drag on. For the cost of shaping the cab a couple times it would be cheaper to buy another truck and leave it armoured. The Mack also has a swappable cab but I believe it's a quicker process. I don't understand why Navistar has them re-using the steering column, mirrors, seats, fenders and such. Why not leave the cab outfitted to make the swap quicker.

I thought the Treasury Board cancelled the SMP part of the Navistar purchase and made DND/CAF go through with a second contract because the first was over budget or not budgetted?
None of what you claim happened. There was a Navistar contract for MilCOTS. There was a MACK contract for SMP. There were no terminations.

Indeed, the MilCOTS contract came in under budget.

That is a lot of work, the video says hours but they are using a brand new truck. As a truck mechanic I say that anything that has seen the field that job will drag on. For the cost of shaping the cab a couple times it would be cheaper to buy another truck and leave it armoured. The Mack also has a swappable cab but I believe it's a quicker process. I don't understand why Navistar has them re-using the steering column, mirrors, seats, fenders and such. Why not leave the cab outfitted to make the swap quicker.
I would assume it would be the better part of the day to swap the cabs over. Not bad if needed though. Its funny how some of these vehciles are built now. Like Ford with removing the cab to do engine work, All plug and play connections and easy access cab bolts.

claim is a strong word choice

Something happened

Governance – Information for Decision Making. As a result of a 2009 request for price and availability with the defence industry, the MSVS project office required additional funding for the Phase IV SMP vehicle purchase. The Department was advised to proceed with the project in October 2010, as there was sufficient policy coverage for the indicative cost growth. Despite receiving departmental approval and a funds transfer from the Logistics Vehicle Modernization project in 2009, the Major Crown Project Interdepartmental Oversight Committee (MCP-IOC) monthly reports did not reflect the change in project value until 2012, as the format of the report focused on externally approved indicative project costs instead of on the departmentally approved allocations. Although the combined cost of both vehicle projects was unchanged, the Department was directed in July 2012 to cancel the SMP fleet Request for Proposal (RFP) to industry due to cost growth resulting in an 18-month project delay.

You are ignorant.

The MSVS project was structured from the beginning to acquire both MillCOTS and SMP vehicles. Any claim to the contrary is at best wrong, at worst an outright lie.

Should you choose to read the link you posted:

Contracts have been awarded for three of five phases – a ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓Military Commercial Off-the Shelf (MilCOTS) vehicle fleet, ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ vehicle mounted shelters, and ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ vehicle kits for the shelters. Two phases remain; Phase IV, consisting of a planned 1,500 Standard Military Pattern (SMP) fleet of logistics vehicles, and Phase V, for infrastructure in support of the project. The focus of the audit was on Phases IV and V.

Back