• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

The new sleeping bag. Synthetic insulation.

This thing looks really big, and heavy.... is it?

The new sleeping bag. Synthetic insulation.

This thing looks really big, and heavy.... is it?

"The General Purpose Sleeping Bag System (GPSBS) is replacing its Cold War era predecessor, known as the Sleeping System Outfit, Extreme Cold Weather (SSOECW)."

Huh? What's with the stupid titles? We (Cold Warriors) knew it just as "Sleeping Bag" or if specificity was called for, 'inner, outer and liner'. Or "fart sack".

"The General Purpose Sleeping Bag System (GPSBS) is replacing its Cold War era predecessor, known as the Sleeping System Outfit, Extreme Cold Weather (SSOECW)."

Huh? What's with the stupid titles? We (Cold Warriors) knew it just as "Sleeping Bag" or if specificity was called for, 'inner, outer and liner'. Or "fart sack".

IMHO, of all the equipment produced by the CAF, our good old down/feather sleeping bag system (liner-inner-outer-GTX bivvy-air mattress), remains one of the best in the world.

I recall trialling a synthetic replacement for the British down/feather bag, in arctic Norway at -30C and colder, and it was not nearly as good (and I'm glad that I packed a down bag along with me while trialling the new bag in snow trenches, or I might have lost some digits ;))

Our sleeping bag matched with the sleeping hose, air mattress and bivy bag was pretty damn awesome. Hot weather I used a ranger blanket and slept on top of the inner for padding and I also bought (and still have) a fleece liner as well. I’ve slept outside, on the snow bank, in a “sleeping bag complete” with a bivy bag and the (sort of) self inflating green air mattress and was as warm as sleeping in the 5 person tent.

I'll never have to use it (I hope) so the title doesn't matter. What matters is how well this system works and how light is it? I quite agree with Haggis - light infantry ain't light....

No no, I want to know more about this "sleeping hose"

Sexy High Heels GIF by Glamour Stockings

TMI?

I got a silk liner for my sleeping bag. Much more comfortable in all climates than the CAF flannel liner.

Back