• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

I sort of get it, the businesses each have hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions tied up in inventory they can't sell. Some of them are likley desperate not to go bankrupt.
The way the Trudeau Liberals are going to destroy sport shooting in Canada, I can see them offering pennies on the dollar.

Trudeau: "After all, how much value does a firearm you can't sell, transfer, export or use really have except for it's weight in scrap metal.. Here's your cheque. Oh, and the way, that amount is taxable."

why does the government not allow the stores to export the firearms? I know Im being a little naive in this but what purpose does it serve?

why does the government not allow the stores to export the firearms? I know Im being a little naive in this but what purpose does it serve?
It depends on if Global Affairs Canada will deem that exporting "scary black guns" to international civilian markets may not be in Canada's best interests and refuse to issue an export permit. A lot also depends on the import laws of the receiving nation.

Being a firearms business owner is a terrible go in this country. Tight margins, lack of consumer loyalty, and a fickle government which is at best indifferent to the harm it causes, at worst maliciously causing that harm.

I don’t blame any of them trying to get money out of stock they have held for two years at this point and can’t get any value out of. Its different from a individual which well some have a good amount of money tied up, it isn’t how they make money. Especially those businesses which specialized in firearms like the AR-15 and it was most their stock.

It depends on if Global Affairs Canada will deem that exporting "scary black guns" to international civilian markets may not be in Canada's best interests and refuse to issue an export permit. A lot also depends on the import laws of the receiving nation.
Most of the American made systems could be returned here, but anything foreign is a crap shoot as the Norinco’s are a no go, and our sporting requirements for foreign import (other than LE/Gov usage or demo) mean a lot of that stuff in Canada would be a no, or require some changes. That said parts kits from torch cut reciever’s would be of interest for some of the more rare items.

Fascinating... I wonder if there are similar cultural patterns in Canada?

Gun Violence Is Actually Worse in Red States. It’s Not Even Close.​

America’s regions are poles apart when it comes to gun deaths and the cultural and ideological forces that drive them.

Listen to the southern right talk about violence in America and you’d think New York City was as dangerous as Bakhmut on Ukraine’s eastern front.
In October, Florida’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis proclaimed crime in New York City was “out of control” and blamed it on George Soros. Another Sunshine State politico, former president Donald Trump, offered his native city up as a Democrat-run dystopia, one of those places “where the middle class used to flock to live the American dream are now war zones, literal war zones.” In May 2022, hours after 19 children were murdered at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott swatted back suggestions that the state could save lives by implementing tougher gun laws by proclaiming “Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis.”

In reality, the region the Big Apple comprises most of is far and away the safest part of the U.S. mainland when it comes to gun violence, while the regions Florida and Texas belong to have per capita firearm death rates (homicides and suicides) three to four times higher than New York’s. On a regional basis it’s the southern swath of the country — in cities and rural areas alike — where the rate of deadly gun violence is most acute, regions where Republicans have dominated state governments for decades.

If you grew up in the coal mining region of eastern Pennsylvania your chance of dying of a gunshot is about half that if you grew up in the coalfields of West Virginia, three hundred miles to the southwest. Someone living in the most rural counties of South Carolina is more than three times as likely to be killed by gunshot than someone living in the equally rural counties of New York’s Adirondacks or the impoverished rural counties facing Mexico across the lower reaches of the Rio Grande.

The reasons for these disparities go beyond modern policy differences and extend back to events that predate not only the American party system but the advent of shotguns, revolvers, ammunition cartridges, breach-loaded rifles and the American republic itself. The geography of gun violence — and public and elite ideas about how it should be addressed — is the result of differences at once regional, cultural and historical. Once you understand how the country was colonized — and by whom — a number of insights into the problem are revealed.

While I understand the dealers got screwed, they aren’t the only ones. Many individual owners are set to lose $100,000 +/- in firearms and accessories. No favoured status and no tax or business losses available. One minute you have a nice nest egg and a quiet, care free retirement. Next minute you have to start looking at budgets and necessities again.

America’s regions are poles apart when it comes to gun deaths and the cultural and ideological forces that drive them.

Listen to the southern right talk about violence in America and you’d think New York City was as dangerous as Bakhmut on Ukraine’s eastern front.
In October, Florida’s Republican governor Ron DeSantis proclaimed crime in New York City was “out of control” and blamed it on George Soros. Another Sunshine State politico, former president Donald Trump, offered his native city up as a Democrat-run dystopia, one of those places “where the middle class used to flock to live the American dream are now war zones, literal war zones.” In May 2022, hours after 19 children were murdered at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott swatted back suggestions that the state could save lives by implementing tougher gun laws by proclaiming “Chicago and L.A. and New York disprove that thesis.”

In reality, the region the Big Apple comprises most of is far and away the safest part of the U.S. mainland when it comes to gun violence, while the regions Florida and Texas belong to have per capita firearm death rates (homicides and suicides) three to four times higher than New York’s. On a regional basis it’s the southern swath of the country — in cities and rural areas alike — where the rate of deadly gun violence is most acute, regions where Republicans have dominated state governments for decades.

If you grew up in the coal mining region of eastern Pennsylvania your chance of dying of a gunshot is about half that if you grew up in the coalfields of West Virginia, three hundred miles to the southwest. Someone living in the most rural counties of South Carolina is more than three times as likely to be killed by gunshot than someone living in the equally rural counties of New York’s Adirondacks or the impoverished rural counties facing Mexico across the lower reaches of the Rio Grande.

The reasons for these disparities go beyond modern policy differences and extend back to events that predate not only the American party system but the advent of shotguns, revolvers, ammunition cartridges, breach-loaded rifles and the American republic itself. The geography of gun violence — and public and elite ideas about how it should be addressed — is the result of differences at once regional, cultural and historical. Once you understand how the country was colonized — and by whom — a number of insights into the problem are revealed.

A lot of the shootings in Red States could likely be put down to good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns. People in blue states are probably a little more squishy and reluctant to put down vermin, if they even have the means. Red states likely equate to more gun owners and more people ready to scrape shit off their shoe.

A lot of the shootings in Red States could likely be put down to good guys with guns stopping bad guys with guns. People in blue states are probably a little more squishy and reluctant to put down vermin, if they even have the means. Red states likely equate to more gun owners and more people ready to scrape shit off their shoe.
It’s still so odd to me that despite having a 2nd amendment…someone living in Texas with a CCW, being a law abiding citizen & respected as such - can find themselves in prison in a state like NJ while not changing a single thing about their lifestyle or going out to intentionally commit a single crime

I have to admit (and obviously there is a bias at play here) I’ve always felt pretty safe in Texas, crime stats be damned. As essentially a tourist I’m not armed, but if someone were to pull a gun as an active shooter, there is something reassuring about everybody around me also having a gun…

While I understand the dealers got screwed, they aren’t the only ones. Many individual owners are set to lose $100,000 +/- in firearms and accessories. No favoured status and no tax or business losses available. One minute you have a nice nest egg and a quiet, care free retirement. Next minute you have to start looking at budgets and necessities again.
I am losing money on this myself, but at the end of the day my livelihood isn’t impacted by it. I am not going to go without food due to this ban. Some dealers will be struggling and may have to close up shop over this.

Some view it as a investment, but to me thats a stupid thing to do with something as fickle as gun laws. Many will also own them to the day they die, to each their own.

I sincerely doubt there is any gun store owners which liked this law change, but especially those ones which dealt primarily in ARs and similar rifles. They aren’t against the community, they are just being fiscally screwed.

It’s still so odd to me that despite having a 2nd amendment…someone living in Texas with a CCW, being a law abiding citizen & respected as such - can find themselves in prison in a state like NJ while not changing a single thing about their lifestyle or going out to intentionally commit a single crime.
That's what truly shocked me about the Liberal's attempt to get municipalities to ban handguns. They claim to have learned from and want to not repeat "the American gun experience" but were well on their way to creating the same patchwork of gun laws as they have, just to win urban votes. Hypocrisy at it's best.

The argument for most part is a Red Herring.
The vast amount of gun violence in Red states occurs in guess what? Blue Urban areas.
Outliers to that trend are generally isolated areas of extreme poverty, and either drug trade related or Native American Reserves and mostly alcohol related.

Guns are not the issue, it is solely a people problem. That people problem can be broken down into two main streams; mental health and crime (and crime splits into multiple issues of which social economics is a large aspect).

Any time they throw in suicide stats into the gun debate, you know they are struggling. 52% of the Homicides in the US take place in just 2% of the Counties, if those Counties were Countries, there would be calls for the UN to intercede and stop the gang violence.

Making more guns laws doesn’t solve anything.
Fixing societal issues does.
But that requires addressing that society has issues that aren’t necessarily easy to deal with.

But that requires addressing that society has issues that aren’t necessarily easy to deal with.
Far easier to demonize a group in a manner that secures votes, than to truly address the MH and public security challenges. I don’t think things will change if the government’s interests aren’t aligned with the majority of society (not just the aligned voter base).

As EITS wisely pointed out, gun laws in Canada have nothing to do with solving the violence problem. It's about votes and nothing else. During the run up to the 2019 election, Liberal strategists identified gun control and gun bans as an untapped source of votes in urban Canada.

Trudeau has made significant headway over the past few days equating the Canadian gun lobby to the NRA and placing the CPC firmly in the pocket of the NRA.

Its the Liberal way - and the way of a number of people who seek to control every aspect of your life.

Not only that. I believe Trudeau takes great pleasure in inflicting any sort of pain or harm on those not likely to vote for him. When you watch the video where he announces the bans, what his facial expressions closely as he makes the announcement. He can barely conceal the seething hate for firearms owners and the glee he has in making this announcement. This is the worst kind of person to have any sort of power and is the kind of terrible personality this country been electing (with CCP assist of course, so it's not all the citizen's fault).

Back