• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Waiting to see whether the NYT pitches as much of a fit over troops providing order as they did about a guest op-ed suggesting same.
And, someone at the NYT has weighed in with a supportive editorial.

Deliciously amusing, since she's one of the people who object to the Tom Cotton guest editorial "back when".

Rampant hypocrisy at leading press institutions couldn't possibly be one of the factors behind social fracture and eroding trust in media.

Juicy, even if partially true ....
Archived here if you can't get through via the original link.
Musk said he wouldn't be giving any money to either candidate.

Last edited:
State of the Union,

While delayed (due to protestors blocking the motorcade), it was a surprising showing for POTUS. While I’m not his biggest fan, I think he proved without a shadow of a doubt that he still is remarkably competent.

While MTG showed herself as an ass as usual.

The Atlantic has a decent synopsis of it.

While delayed (due to protestors blocking the motorcade), it was a surprising showing for POTUS. While I’m not his biggest fan, I think he proved without a shadow of a doubt that he still is remarkably competent.
Democrats were openly worrying he'd have a brain fart during the speech. I can guess anything that could be done was done.

The worries suggest the underlying problem is real and is being concealed. If the problem is real, it ought to be removed. That would mean finding another candidate. Almost any reasonable candidate should reduce the odds that Trump might win. But Democrats have convinced themselves they're powerless to do it without compromising chances of winning (a contested primary; a faction determined that if Biden is out Harris should be in). If they thought they could bypass Harris and anoint a selected governor or senator they might do it.

The election is eight months away; Biden is not going to grow younger or improve with age. There's no pandemic to excuse minimizing public appearances. It's improbable that voters will tolerate days of rest and rehearsals for one highly-scripted public appearance every week or two. Rolling him out after intensive preparation for one appearance and following up with a barrage of "See, this one time proves he's good to go!" op-eds isn't going to as helpful as his wishful-thinking supporters believe.

Democrats have the same problem as Republicans. Both sides are pointing at the other party's candidate and in effect saying, "Shoot your own mad dog!". Each of them refuses, which entirely undermines the plea to the other.

State of the Union,

While MTG showed herself as an ass as usual.

The Atlantic has a decent synopsis of it.
I watched some of it. Biden gave a good performance. The question is can he keep that up.

I watched some of it. Biden gave a good performance. The question is can he keep that up.
Yes, if his appearances are strictly rationed with lots of downtime, tight scripts, no off-the-cuff remarks or scrums, and minders who can make it look like he knows where he's going when it's time for him to move somewhere. Also a public willing to believe that a good performance is substance rather than pure emperor's clothes theatre.

Yes, if his appearances are strictly rationed with lots of downtime, tight scripts, no off-the-cuff remarks or scrums, and minders who can make it look like he knows where he's going when it's time for him to move somewhere.
I’d suggest his speech last night showed that he could mix it up and shoot from the cuff.
Also a public willing to believe that a good performance is substance rather than pure emperor's clothes theatre.
🎭
I’d say that both Parties have that issue.

I’m thinking my vote will be a write in for Nikki Haley as neither presumptive candidates really make me swoon.

I’d suggest his speech last night showed that he could mix it up and shoot from the cuff.
I doubt that it does. I don't know what to make of some critics' claims that he's on medication for these events. His delivery - pacing, tone, etc - is certainly way off. Almost everyone who supports him is using the words "forceful" and "fiery" today, so I know what talking points went out, but I've been immune to staged performances masquerading as oratory for decades. The only suitable venue for judging oratory is an impromptu event with no teleprompters. It was a campaign speech - not whatever kind of report the SOTU was originally intended to be - and it looked like one.

Democrats are well along on selling themselves the idea that's he's good enough to make it through an entire election campaign based on the results of one hour. Big mistake, perhaps a grave one, methinks. 8 months of opportunities to thunder in lie ahead.

Sleepy Joe turned angry Joe and did nothing but yell, between mumbling about snickers bars, for about 2 hours. It's pretty accurate for the left, when you need to get your point across, you yell.

I'm glad they'll be building a port for hamas in gaza though, that should go well and won't endanger the lives of US soldiers.....

Hitlers doctor used to spike him every morning with a cocktail of meth and other stuff. This gave him a veil of sanity and vigor that fooled millions. They thought he was 'forceful and fiery' also. In reality he was a drug addled manic dragging his country, and the world, into war and ruin.

Hitlers doctor used to spike him every morning with a cocktail of meth and other stuff. This gave him a veil of sanity and vigor that fooled millions. They thought he was 'forceful and fiery' also. In reality he was a drug addled manic dragging his country, and the world, into war and ruin.
So hypothetically if the president’s doctor is prescribing medication to manage one or another medical issue - physical health, mental health, whatever - are you saying that causes you to doubt his fitness to lead the country?

Let's put him on stage with Trump then. Televised, town forum style. No canned question from a CNN moderator, or the like. No cue cards, telepromters or earpieces Let's see how well he can 'mix it up and shoot from the cuff,' when asked random questions from the audience, or debating Trump. If hes trying to prove he's fit and mentally stable, this is the only way to convince the electorate.

So hypothetically if the president’s doctor is prescribing medication to manage one or another medical issue - physical health, mental health, whatever - are you saying that causes you to doubt his fitness to lead the country?
If he's taking drugs to mask dementia or other cognitive functions, damn right I doubt his fitness to lead the country.

Hypothetically, if the president's doctor is prescribing "uppers" for the president's public appearances, that's a huge problem.

Back