• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

Tough to say if it would be a general duty notebook with a bunch of stuff from a bunch of files, or if it would be a case-specific project notebook with, say, notes for witness statements etc pertaining to that particular file. Either way an embarrassing oops. I wonMt try to speculate about the specifics on the potential risks.
If it contained CI info and other aspects putting witnesses at risk etc on that file- it wouldn’t be just providing “information on personal safety and home safety” as a response. Maybe you’re right, but my experience with what you do in response to stolen notebooks and USB drives says this isn’t. But you’re right- we can’t know presently

Good reminder that it’s not a good look with the wild speculation lol

Edited because I was making no sense. Which isn’t unusual.

Last edited:
there is potential risk because bad guys have all their contact info- but there isn’t presently any anticipated or imminent risk.

Theres a good chance this is just an officer who was assisting in the search and their notebook doesn’t have informant identity or info in it. So it’s just an abundance of caution because Ingrid’s contact and break and enter compliant details are out there
Sure, that makes sense too. Suggesting someone moves out of their house struck me as something more than just being cautious. I can't recall ever reading about police suggesting people leave home just in case.

Sure, that makes sense too. Suggesting someone moves out of their house struck me as something more than just being cautious. I can't recall ever reading about police suggesting people leave home just in case.
The info we give to notify individuals who are are at various risk levels across the country varies and even agency to agency. But generally it covers a massive gamut of potential actions out of liability.

I would have expected several other things and referrals in that article if it was considered a serious present potential threat because of police actions.

But Brihard reminded me that the news gives me nothing here and I’m filling in the blanks with my own bias. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure how everyone else does it, but human source info would not, I hope, be in a notebook being brought out and about on regular business. I’m less concerned about that possibility. That would be a whole different level of holy shit bad.

I wonder how feasible it would be for police to use PDAs for note taking.

Last edited:
Not sure how everyone else does it, but human source info would not, I hope, be in a notebook being brought out and about on regular business. I’m less concerned about that possibility. That would be a whole different level of holy shit bad.
Like soldiers writing down orders complete with passwords in their FMP then going on patrol with it.

🤐

Some interesting changes
A long time coming. At first, the Conservative government wanted nothing to do with it, probably simply by virtue that it was a Liberal Bill. Once they slowly warmed to it, development of the Regulations took a lot of legwork, particularly ones involving personnel and discipline. The fact that Human Rights Commission and Info & Privacy Commission think it is lacking, to me, is an endorsement.

I wonder how feasible it would be for police to use PDAs for note taking.

The OPP was looking into digital note-keeping. I don't know anything about the project other than it existed or exists.

I think Calgary has that capability. There’s some provincial court case law out of Alberta about electronic notes and what makes them presumptively reliable in terms of being an officer’s contemporaneous notes that can later be relied on for testimony.

I believe there are a couple of Ontario departments using some form of electronic note taking. I think so far as I know its Brantford, Halton, York (maybe). Not sure of anywhere else.

I believe there are a couple of Ontario departments using some form of electronic note taking. I think so far as I know its Brantford, Halton, York (maybe). Not sure of anywhere else.

Many police services are at various places along that road. In speaking to folks who are still working, they are finding it hard to keep up with the speed of technical changes. A credible voice-to-text system will be a game-changer. The younger generation is pretty fast with thumb-typing, but it's still comparatively slow. Proving notes will remain a challenge, particularly for disclosure and court. Traditional handwritten notes are original evidence in its original form. Once software converts voice - the original form - to digital, there will be a need to ensure, for example, it didn't turn 'can't' into 'can'.

Many police services are at various places along that road. In speaking to folks who are still working, they are finding it hard to keep up with the speed of technical changes. A credible voice-to-text system will be a game-changer. The younger generation is pretty fast with thumb-typing, but it's still comparatively slow. Proving notes will remain a challenge, particularly for disclosure and court. Traditional handwritten notes are original evidence in its original form. Once software converts voice - the original form - to digital, there will be a need to ensure, for example, it didn't turn 'can't' into 'can'.

Their is know weigh it cod go wrong.

I think Calgary has that capability. There’s some provincial court case law out of Alberta about electronic notes and what makes them presumptively reliable in terms of being an officer’s contemporaneous notes that can later be relied on for testimony.
I hope CPS doesn't get this before Edmonton does. Those lowsy scoundrels...

I was speaking to a Toronto police officer. They use a voice to text program to translate the voices on the body cams to text. As part of their process they have to listen to the body cams and compare what was said to what the program translates it to, to ensure it is an accurate translation. I can see an issue if the department doesn't use body cams.

I was speaking to a Toronto police officer. They use a voice to text program to translate the voices on the body cams to text. As part of their process they have to listen to the body cams and compare what was said to what the program translates it to, to ensure it is an accurate translation. I can see an issue if the department doesn't use body cams.
That would make sense as that is the same process for statement transcription in a lot of places as well. Once transcribed it has to be compared to the originals again and certified- so the natural leap to BWC would be to have the same process.

Transcription is a problem at all levels. Very time consuming.

Surely they must be doing this if only required for a Crown Brief. I can't imagine every road warrior reviewing every recorded moment of previous shifts.

That would make sense as that is the same process for statement transcription in a lot of places as well. Once transcribed it has to be compared to the originals again and certified- so the natural leap to BWC would be to have the same process.

Transcription is a problem at all levels. Very time consuming.
The public doesn't realize how astonishingly time consuming and resource intensive this single aspect of a criminal investigation is. In days gone by, hours and hours of typists transcribing every 'um' and 'ah', and hours and hours of proof-reading the transcript against the tape. Everybody thinks once the charges are laid its all done except the wrap-up party.

My organization has given preliminary approval for generative AI being used for initial transcription of audio, to then be verified by a human ear. That will likely be vastly more efficient. My unit has some fantastic civilian transcribers for our file disclosure. The general rule of thumb is one minute of audio is ten minutes of work- and that’s when done by properly equipped pros. It’s a great example of a task that can and should be done by violin support staff and not cops, although it’s fair to expect an officer to do a final review of their own audio against a transcript for court purposes.

It can be tough for us because we do large crown disclosures with potentially many dozens of statements, and often they want transcripts for all of them rather than summaries/will-says. New technology is gonna be great for this task. Hopefully we can start throwing AI at redaction/vetting as well.

Back