Author Topic: Medical Cannabis Use in the CAF  (Read 1272 times)

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
Medical Cannabis Use in the CAF
« on: November 06, 2018, 17:09:02 »
Can an active duty soldier be prescribed medical cannabis now either through the CAF health system or the civilian system?  I know before it was legal they would process you for release if you went outside the CAF health system and got a prescription for it.  Has that changed since legalization?

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Medical Cannabis Use in the CAF
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 17:28:04 »
Did you read DAOD 9004-1, specifically para 4.8?

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 20:19:28 »
Can an active duty soldier be prescribed medical cannabis now either through the CAF health system or the civilian system?  I know before it was legal they would process you for release if you went outside the CAF health system and got a prescription for it.  Has that changed since legalization?

I talked to some of the medical community recently about this.

Short answer - no. Very few cases require it and in their experience, it was terminal cancer cases only.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 21:16:50 »
Did you read DAOD 9004-1, specifically para 4.8?

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  So from my understanding through this DOAD that you can get a prescription for medical cannabis.  However, if it is going to affect how you do your job then you have to notify a medical officer.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 21:50:55 »
Thank you.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  So from my understanding through this DOAD that you can get a prescription for medical cannabis.  However, if it is going to affect how you do your job then you have to notify a medical officer.

Seems like a good summary, but member's shouldn't be seeking medical attention other than emergencies without going through a CDU... a Medical Cannabis prescription isn't one of those things that you can get at your local ER.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 22:10:26 »
Additionally, sub-para b. specifies that QR&O 31.13(2) still applies, which means you still have the obligation to report the outside medical care even if you don't think it is affecting your job performance.  This is no different that someone who goes downtown and pays for their own LASIK, cosmetic surgery etc.

Sub-para c is a pretty good indication that a member who does this is also going to end up with MELs, which also happens in the examples I gave. What those MELs are and how they are going to affect a member's career is always going to be case by case but I haven't heard of medicinal cannabis being prescribed for something short term so it could very well have career implications.

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 17:08:02 »
The CAF health system neither prescribes nor pays for medical cannabis. If you require a prescription for medical cannabis to treat your medical condition, then you also require a Medical Employment Limitations for that medical condition. No change since 17 October 2018.

Offline Navy_Bean

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 09:40:18 »
Hi all,

Curious as to if Medical Marijuana/CBD is allowed in the CAF if a member has a medical license by a physician. 

Any information would be most helpful.  Thank you. :nod:

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 10:08:19 »
Bumped for navy_Bean's benefit.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Navy_Bean

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 10:11:16 »
Thank you Scott.

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 18:47:28 »
Hi all,

Curious as to if Medical Marijuana/CBD is allowed in the CAF if a member has a medical license by a physician. 

Any information would be most helpful.  Thank you. :nod:
See reply #6 above. If you have a medical condition that requires prescribed medical cannabis for that condition, then you will be assigned appropriate Medical Employment Limitations.