Author Topic: General Election: Oct 21, 2019  (Read 28175 times)

Journeyman, mariomike, FSTO and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: General Election: Oct 21, 2019
« Reply #425 on: October 11, 2019, 13:08:39 »
One disappointing ramifications of the Bloc’s climb is that it may sap the Conservative candidate in Beauce enough to give Bernier his seat. I’m really hoping to see him and his party shut out.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2019, 20:09:05 »
Conservative platform's out as of this afternoon (link to news release -- 103pg PDF of document here), with PBO-estimated program costs of interest around these parts attached.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2019, 21:03:17 »
Conservative platform's out as of this afternoon (link to news release -- 103pg PDF of document here), with PBO-estimated program costs of interest around these parts attached.

Any thoughts on how this might be different from Harper’s platform?
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #428 on: October 11, 2019, 21:57:50 »
At the risk of copping out, comparing election-to-election platforms can be tricky because like many plans, platforms rarely fully survive contact with day-to-day politics, the economy, internal & outside events not factored into the platform when it was made, etc., no matter what team jersey's involved.  For example, ask the Ontario NDP about how "provincializing" auto insurance went on their watch.  I look at & share this stuff as just one tile (mixed with media statements, debate content, public statements & party policy/convention  papers) in the mosaic answering the question "what do you think they'll do if they take the wheel?"

One quick & dirty example:  vets.  In 2015, the Team Red book promised "re-establish lifelong pensions", and we've seen where that went - can't afford you right now, sorry.  In 2011, Team Blue's book bragged about passing "the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act," and we saw where that went - litigation.

For anyone wanting to do a deeper dive, though, here's Team Blue's 2015 platform document, and here's their 2011 platform document.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2019, 08:38:28 »

Should it be ? 

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2019, 09:17:18 »
One disappointing ramifications of the Bloc’s climb is that it may sap the Conservative candidate in Beauce enough to give Bernier his seat. I’m really hoping to see him and his party shut out.

Interestingly, I was talking with one of my co-workers yesterday and she stated that she was thinking of voting for the PPC. Also stated that many of her friends are thinking about doing the same. And as an aside I'm seeing more PPC party signs here in Kingston than Green Party signs.

"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:07 »
The National Post, but not the CBC is carrying a story about CBC suing the CPC.

If there was no pubic perception of bias before, there certainly might be now.

*corrected now that the story is up on CBC.

Interesting that they're not allowing comments.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 12:48:24 by ModlrMike »
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2019, 12:09:13 »
Should it be ?
Did the Liberals used the same cookie-cutter platform before and after 9-11?  Broad strokes and philosophy may not change much from election to election, but ground truth can change a lot between ballots.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2019, 12:12:43 »
The National Post, but not the CBC is carrying a story about CBC suing the CPC.
They are now (~30 minutes before this post) ...
The CBC is taking the Conservative Party of Canada to court for using the broadcaster's footage in an online advertisement.

In a legal application to the Federal Court of Canada, the CBC served notice it wants the Conservative Party of Canada and its executive director, Dustin Van Vugt, to acknowledge the party "engaged in the unauthorized use of copyright-protected material."

The court documents filed Thursday listed The National co-host Rosemary Barton and parliamentary bureau reporter John Paul Tasker as applicants in the filing, along with the CBC.

In a statement Saturday, CBC News General Manager and Editor-In-Chief Jennifer McGuire and General Director of Information Programming for Radio-Canada Luce Julien said the court filing would be amended to remove the names of the journalists as applicants.

"To be clear, CBC/Radio Canada was the driver of this process, not the journalists.  CBC/Radio Canada named and added the journalists to the application because their images and content were used inappropriately.  In order to avoid any confusion about the role of Rosemary Barton and John Paul Tasker we intend to file an amendment to remove their names as applicants when the court opens on Tuesday," the statement said.

CBC-Radio Canada named the journalists in the lawsuit, according to the statement, "because their images and journalism were misused for partisan purposes negatively impacting perceptions of their independence." ...
Statement of claim here (19 pages).
:pop:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2019, 12:51:25 »
They are now (~30 minutes before this post) ...Statement of claim here (19 pages).

I'm glad they're using our tax dollars to sue a national political party  :sarcasm:
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #435 on: October 12, 2019, 13:14:51 »
I'm glad they're using our tax dollars to sue a national political party  :sarcasm:

I'm glad they're using our tax dollars to sue a national political party who illegally used copyrighted material  [: no sarcasm]
+300
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #436 on: October 12, 2019, 13:29:35 »
I'm glad they're using our tax dollars to sue a national political party who allegedly illegally used copyrighted material  [: no sarcasm]

TFTFY  [/no sarcasm]
+300

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #437 on: October 12, 2019, 14:02:06 »
Be a real shame if the ad was still circulating.........

https://twitter.com/HoCStaffer/status/1182822717650800645
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: October 12, 2019, 14:45:14 »
Interesting case ...

If I was Team Blue's lawyer, I'd say, "since Elections Canada says, 'If a news clip is relatively short and is not a substantial part of the audiovisual work from which it was taken, the broadcast of the news clip in a political ad would not infringe the copyright of the owner of the audiovisual work and would not require the permission of that owner to be broadcast. Accordingly, during the election period, broadcasters are not entitled to refuse to broadcast a political ad containing a news clip that is not a substantial part of the original broadcast,', and the bits of video/audio come from a variety of programs, this doesn't constitute use of a substantial part of ANY original broadcast."

Then again, if the CBC lets its clips be used by Team Red against Team Blue or Team Orange, would they then be labelled the "anyone but Liberal" network (more than they already are)?  Other broadcast material from other outlets also seems to be used in the same video -- wonder if they're lawyering up now?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #439 on: October 12, 2019, 22:26:47 »
Latest poll tracker has the CPC with the seat advantage for the first time.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

But with billions in cuts in their recently released platform can they keep their lead?

Optio

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2019, 12:19:03 »
Latest poll tracker has the CPC with the seat advantage for the first time.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elections/poll-tracker/canada/

But with billions in cuts in their recently released platform can they keep their lead?

Which cuts do you mean ?
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #441 on: October 13, 2019, 13:38:02 »
Quote from: Remius

I read that in the voice of Morgan Freeman.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #442 on: October 13, 2019, 13:53:37 »

You're right. He's cutting:

Taxes on income under $47K
Carbon Tax
GST on Home Heating
Gov income tax revenues due to Green Home/Green Transit/Volunteer/Child Fitness/Maternity Benefits/Children's Arts
Gov revenues from Small business tax changes/income sprinkling to spouses
Sewage dumping into lakes/rivers by municpalities
Fees to enter national museums
Ability of government to hide by Cabinet Confidence to block RCMP investigations
The cap on privately sponsored refugees
Spending at Asian Infrastructure Bank
Foreign aid to wealthy countries
Corporate bailouts

But I mean, don't let the actual platform: https://cpc-platform.s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/CPC_Platform_8.5x11_FINAL_EN_OCT11_web.pdf and the full PBO costing: https://www.pbo-dpb.gc.ca/en/epc-estimates
+300

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #443 on: October 13, 2019, 13:59:19 »
Optio

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2019, 14:11:04 »
Interesting that right now it's possible that whoever "wins" the election might have a minority so weak that it may need the support of not one but two other parties.

Right now 338Canada has the Libs/Cons at about 135-136 seats a piece. The Bloc/NDP are 30-32 each. So one major party propped up by a minor party may not be enough.

You very well could see a situation where government is formed by a major party (Lib/Cons) + a minor party (Bloc/NDP) + the rest (Greens/Max Bernier/independents).

This could be a very short-lived government....

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #445 on: October 13, 2019, 14:17:55 »
Interesting that right now it's possible that whoever "wins" the election might have a minority so weak that it may need the support of not one but two other parties.

Right now 338Canada has the Libs/Cons at about 135-136 seats a piece. The Bloc/NDP are 30-32 each. So one major party propped up by a minor party may not be enough.

You very well could see a situation where government is formed by a major party (Lib/Cons) + a minor party (Bloc/NDP) + the rest (Greens/Max Bernier/independents).

This could be a very short-lived government....

You’ve just described BC. Sadly, the NDP-Green marriage of convenience still limps along after more than a year...

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2019, 14:21:05 »
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. The NDP has pretty much ruled out working with anyone. Explicitly the Torries, but implicit in their demands they have also ruled out the Libs. The Bloc is poison to both CPC and Libs. I envision a minority government made up of the two larger parties rather than one including the Bloc or NDP. If the Liberals are foolish enough to court the NDP, then expect more runaway deficits to fund the pharmacare, student debt, etc.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #447 on: October 13, 2019, 14:35:42 »
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. The NDP has pretty much ruled out working with anyone. Explicitly the Torries, but implicit in their demands they have also ruled out the Libs. The Bloc is poison to both CPC and Libs. I envision a minority government made up of the two larger parties rather than one including the Bloc or NDP. If the Liberals are foolish enough to court the NDP, then expect more runaway deficits to fund the pharmacare, student debt, etc.

I would expect anything but the Libs and Cons working together but I guess we'll see. In fact if they do, I might have to recuse myself from living in this country anymore. Trudeau is the biggest threat to basic democracy / individual rights I could have ever imagined 4 years ago, if their main opponent starts working with them for political expediency we're ****ed. It will confirm there's not a shred of principle left in Ottawa, and I know we say that all the time, but this is different.

I know the NDP said that, but the Cons and Libs are hardly different at this point, if the NDP can force the Cons to take a tighter approach on the environment the NDP can call it a major victory... and everyone will forget or stop caring within a week that Mr. Singh said he wouldn't work with the Cons.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #448 on: October 13, 2019, 14:50:00 »
Individuals interested in retirement, pension and financial support for seniors may find this of interest,

Global News
October 12, 2019

Federal election 2019: What’s in it for seniors?
https://globalnews.ca/news/5989955/federal-election-2019-promises-seniors/
The average 65-year old today is expected to live to age 86, according to Statistics Canada.

That's pretty much on track with the Municipal Retirees Organization Ontario - MROO. ( MROO represents OMERS pensioners. )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 15:32:23 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #449 on: October 13, 2019, 15:24:32 »
Quote from: Remius
Talking while you type is what actors do ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 16:24:37 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris