Author Topic: Time to be fully trained as Infantry Officer  (Read 6660 times)

Offline abb115

• Rate Post
Time to be fully trained as Infantry Officer
« on: March 17, 2015, 19:27:26 »
How long is the typical progression from enrollment to becoming fully trained as a Regular Force Infantry Officer, and what rank do you come out as (usually), 2lt?

Thanks for your time.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Time to be fully trained as Infantry Officer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 19:54:10 »
Which entry plan? It makes a big difference.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline abb115

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 00:36:40 »
Direct entry

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 21:20:57 »
As a DEO, it will take at least a year for you to finish your training (and that would be sheer luck to have your Basic, BMOQ-L, DP1.1, DP1.2 all line up perfectly so that you can just continue on to the next course as soon as one ends), so you will be an Lt by the time you get to battalion.

For some DEOs, for various reason, it takes 2 or more years to finish train ing and get to battalion. So some guys show up in December and are promoted to Captain within a few months. There were a few rare cases of people being a Captain as soon as they showed up to battalion.

In any case, 3 years from the day of your commission, you'll be a Captain, unless you step on your d*ck or end up in a medical situation that prevent you from being promoted, that kind of stuff.

Offline abb115

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:44:57 »
Thanks ballz, exactly what I was looking for.

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 21:39:41 »
Having been lucky and had everything line up near perfect - 1 year, 3 months.  This was with no longer then a 2 week (ish) period in between courses.  This is also not the norm, especially with changes to how they plan on offering the DP1.1 and 1.2 courses in the future.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline NorthernTwo

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 21:13:26 »
Hi there,

I am new to the site. Entering my final year of university this Fall and looking to start the DEO application process soon.

I am wondering what you would do during the time between training courses? Are you posted somewhere/assigned to do military work or do you sit at home and wait for your training date? If you sit at home, are you paid during that time?

Thanks.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 21:15:04 »
Hi there,

I am new to the site. Entering my final year of university this Fall and looking to start the DEO application process soon.

I am wondering what you would do during the time between training courses? Are you posted somewhere/assigned to do military work or do you sit at home and wait for your training date? If you sit at home, are you paid during that time?

Thanks.

Many take the time to develop their Google Fu.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 21:35:20 »
Hi there,

Thanks.

You're posted to Gagetown after BMOQ, since your next 3 courses (BMOQ-A, IODP1.1, and IODP1.2) are all in Gagetown. You show up to work every day and report to PAT Pl (Personnel Awaiting Training Platoon), what you do ebbs and flows.

In some years, depending on who's in charge and the resources they have, those people have done SFA. Other times, they've conducted training relevant to the course they were about to do. Last year, a bunch of them got cut to 2 RCR, were assigned to companies, and we gainfully employed them as best we could. They did work both in garrison and came out to the field with us. Some have been attach posted to training units such as 5 CDSG Training Centre and have been Course Officers and stuff as well.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 21:47:27 by mariomike »

Offline NorthernTwo

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:33 »
Thank you, both. This is very helpful.

Offline mariomike