Author Topic: New badges on Army Service Dress  (Read 13682 times)

Offline Fred Herriot

• Rate Post
  • New Recruit
    • http://NA
New badges on Army Service Dress
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:49:37 »
I'm not sure this is the right conversation to post this in, but I just noticed this when I went on Facebook:  The people at the CADTC are now wearing what looks to me like the I Canadian Corps formation patch.  Is that authorized?
Non Nobis Sed Patriae
Servire Armatis

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: New badges on Army Service Dress
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:58:19 »
I'm going to make a big leap here and assume the Formation Sergeant-Major knows what is authorized and what is not authorized...

Offline Fred Herriot

• Rate Post
  • New Recruit
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:01:01 »
LOL!  Silly me!  ;D

I should have phrased that "When was it authorized?"

Haven't had enough coffee this morning . . .!
Non Nobis Sed Patriae
Servire Armatis

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 12:02:38 »
I'm not sure this is the right conversation to post this in, but I just noticed this when I went on Facebook:  The people at the CADTC are now wearing what looks to me like the I Canadian Corps formation patch.  Is that authorized?
Every present day static, institutional layer of HQ was given the identity of a war time field fighting formation when the Areas were renamed.  Don't be surprised if Army HQ starts wearing the two-colored patch of the First Canadian Army of the Second World War.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 12:13:43 »
I think our uniforms need more gold braid and decorations.  There's still a chance that our personnel won't be mistaken for delusional third world despots.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 20:51:39 »
It started in the 1960s. One of our generals ~ slightly overweight, otherwise totally undistinguished ~ appeared, for a major ceremonial event, in the new CF "jolly green jumper." But he, along with everyone else, knew, in his heart of hearts, that a plain, subdued uniform, almost exactly like the one destined to be worn by the rank and file,  was really, really unmilitary. So he added gold ... lots of gold: gold stripes on the trouser legs, gold braid, in a fancy curlicue pattern, on the sleeves, above the existing broad gold stripe, and gold lace on the tail of his jacket, akin to something highlanders might have worn on more appropriate jackets, and the whole thing was set off with a gold sword belt!

Suffice to say we dubbed it the "instant dictator kit." I never saw anything quite like it again ... thankfully
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 21:08:15 »
It started in the 1960s. One of our generals ~ slightly overweight, otherwise totally undistinguished ~ appeared, for a major ceremonial event, in the new CF "jolly green jumper." But he, along with everyone else, knew, in his heart of hearts, that a plain, subdued uniform, almost exactly like the one destined to be worn by the rank and file,  was really, really unmilitary. So he added gold ... lots of gold: gold stripes on the trouser legs, gold braid, in a fancy curlicue pattern, on the sleeves, above the existing broad gold stripe, and gold lace on the tail of his jacket, akin to something highlanders might have worn on more appropriate jackets, and the whole thing was set off with a gold sword belt!

Suffice to say we dubbed it the "instant dictator kit." I never saw anything quite like it again ... thankfully

And we had a CDS who in body shape, height and in uniform design looked like a Caucasian Idi Amin, although his decision making ability was only slightly, well maybe a bit more than that, autocratic.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 21:16:30 »
I think our uniforms need more gold braid and decorations.  There's still a chance that our personnel won't be mistaken for delusional third world despots.

Overcompensating for tiny penises? :dunno:
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 21:45:33 »
Overcompensating for tiny penises? :dunno:

Now, are you talking about the North Korean gentlemen above, or the buttons and bows brigade?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 22:02:05 »
Not to be out done by the North Koreans, even civilians get into the spirit of things 

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 22:06:00 »
Now, are you talking about the North Korean gentlemen above, or the buttons and bows brigade?

Either or, depending on where you want to go. ;)
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 22:08:48 »

Those are not medals and ribbons, they're Scout badges.

For instance, the gentleman on the right built a bird house by himself (woodworker's badge), helped an old lady cross the street to get in the food line (good conduct badge), denounced his uncle's misgivings about the regime (scout's honour badge), held the door open for the great leader (politeness badge), etc. etc.

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 23:46:54 »
If they earn enough awards they achieve protection from the inevitable firing squad.
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 00:29:34 »
If they earn enough awards they achieve protection from the inevitable firing squad.

I would doubt about that. Look what happened to his uncle a year ago.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 05:01:56 »

Well, there do seem to be enough to qualify as a sort of body armour, but I would be concerned that an anti-aircraft round could squeeze in between the badges.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:19:48 by Pusser »
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:16 »

Nahhh!  The Kingdom has developed special depleted uranium medal-piercing rounds for its firing squads.  ;D

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 11:40:41 »
On the topic of new Army badges, we are starting to receive another.  I still think the single maple leaf looked better and nicely balanced Army heritage with the modern national identity.  Regardless, we now have the attached.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:50:55 »

Are those pictures of the ABC veterans group?
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 12:57:08 »

:rofl:
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Fred Herriot

• Rate Post
  • New Recruit
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 01:29:12 »
And I just noticed that on the Remembrance Day pics that the commander of the Army is wearing the 1st Canadian Army patch on his left shoulder.

Okay...!
Non Nobis Sed Patriae
Servire Armatis

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:32:43 »
For the unwashed, what's the issue?
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 01:47:29 »
Yeah, the guys from Land Forces Command HQ AKA Canadian Army HQ AKA Land Staff AKA Army Staff are now wearing the patch of the 1st Canadian Army, and the guys from Land Forces Doctrine and Training System AKA Canadian Army Doctrine and Training Centre are now wearing the patch of 1st Canadian Corps.

The issues, as much as there are some, are that the dress pam originally stated that formation patches are used by army field formations but that has now been extended to all formations whether they are field formations or not, that the formations in question are wearing the patches without changing names to match the patches, which implies that SQFT/LFWA/LFCA/LFAA could have just sewn on the divisional rectangles without actually changing names to 2/3/4/5 Division, and that the Canadian Army might not actually be a formation, but rather a Command, so it might or might not be authorized a formation patch.

But hey, it's just a bit of cloth, right?

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 15:56:30 »
Latest email from the green machine. I am attaching the relevant portion (fortunatly it is much less verbose and labour intensive than the one regarding official signature blocks)

The CA intends to approach the CADPAT uniform in two dress approaches:

1.       CADPAT A – Field Operational Dress.  This would be the operational uniform with field headdress(s) and minimal hi vis badges reflecting just nameplate, rank, plus unit flash and subdued national flag;

2.       CADPAT B – Dress of the Day/Garrison.  This would be the uniform worn with beret/regimental head dress and the same badges as CADPAT A.  The following patches/badges would be added to the Velcro patches on the ECU CADPAT (Op dress CA).   

a.            Name plate (Command ensign), high vis rank, unit identifier on rank tab, corps/branch/regimental badge on beret/regimental head dress.
b.            Left top velcro. Canada Flag (2x4 in) (full colour);
c.             Right top velcro. CA Division patch/CADTC patch/CA HQ patch (full colour);
d.            Right bottom velcro.  L3 formation patch (subdued colour) for CA formation, the CA badge for CA HQ pers and formations patches for HQ outside of CA (ie: CJOC Patch etc…);
e.            Left bottom velcro.  Special qualification badges.  Only the badges that are already approved to be wear on the DEU.  (Para wings, Pathfinder, Ranger, Cbt diver, EOD badge etc…)(Subdued colour); a maximum of 2 badges may be worn.

3.            Proto-types of all L3 Formation patches and special qualification badges will be produced by the Army, passed by the L3, and authorized by the CA.

4.            Arid Operational Dress.  Same as CADPAT A or B (depending on the situation) but allowance would be made for coalition patches to replace Level 2 and 3 CA patches.  Auth will be the TF Comd.  IFF will be worn on the right top Velcro for operations.

I'm just keeping my old uniform for as long as possible (although this won't take much doing on my part, they never have any of the "new" new uniforms in my size so I simply exchange shabby see through combats with somewhat less shabby and see through combats....)

I'm still astounded that so much time and effort can be spent on patches (there was a very long part in the email about taking off non authorized patches, ironically after a paragraph about using patches to promote morale.... ::) ) even though no one can seem to get uniforms in your size, new combat boots (by which I mean not the type issued in Afghanistan) or even higher end stuff like trucks.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 17:10:51 »
Glad they said full colour for div patches. I can't imagine trying to decipher shades of green, and 291ers would be screwed!

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 17:15:15 »
Yeah, the guys from Land Forces Command HQ AKA Canadian Army HQ AKA Land Staff AKA Army Staff are now wearing the patch of the 1st Canadian Army, and the guys from Land Forces Doctrine and Training System AKA Canadian Army Doctrine and Training Centre are now wearing the patch of 1st Canadian Corps.

The issues, as much as there are some, are that the dress pam originally stated that formation patches are used by army field formations but that has now been extended to all formations whether they are field formations or not, that the formations in question are wearing the patches without changing names to match the patches, which implies that SQFT/LFWA/LFCA/LFAA could have just sewn on the divisional rectangles without actually changing names to 2/3/4/5 Division, and that the Canadian Army might not actually be a formation, but rather a Command, so it might or might not be authorized a formation patch.
In hockey a team recognizes legendary players by retiring the number; in the Army we give the number to a Zamboni.

I'm still astounded that so much time and effort can be spent on patches (there was a very long part in the email about taking off non authorized patches, ironically after a paragraph about using patches to promote morale.... ::) ) even though no one can seem to get uniforms in your size, new combat boots (by which I mean not the type issued in Afghanistan) or even higher end stuff like trucks.
The glory of tribes is paramount.  Fashion is secondary except where it reinforces tribal glory and (as such) is paramount.  Other considerations can be tertiary or whatever.  For reference, see here: http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,122065.0.html
or here: http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=16520.475