Author Topic: Need Help With Folding Canadian Flag into Triangle for Shadow Box  (Read 12147 times)

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
My buddies retirement is in a few days and I'm doing his shadow box on leave. Last step is getting the flag folded into the triangle for the top of the box. Do you guys know the procedure?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Need Help With Folding Canadian Flag into Triangle for Shadow Box
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:42:47 »
Why? Are you planning on treating his retirement like a funeral .... "A Grateful Nation blah, blah, blah ..."   [lol:

Look: I think we use the same procedure as the US military.

Here's the site I always referred to: http://www.legion.org/flag/folding

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:09:20 »
The Manual of Drill and Ceremonial also covers this process.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:32 »
The Manual of Drill and Ceremonial also covers this process.

Canadian practise is to do a square fold.  The triangle fold is American.  And the American method will not give you the Flag pattern you need to look good in a shadow box.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:12 »
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/oth-aut/pcf-cpd/index-eng.asp

As per CFP 200 : Square Fold.

Our Flag doesn't fold nicely into a triangle.
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 13:38:13 »
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/oth-aut/pcf-cpd/index-eng.asp

As per CFP 200 : Square Fold.

Our Flag doesn't fold nicely into a triangle.

And the process in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzTnGyhCP1g

. . . doesn't fold nicely . . .   It's a piece of cloth; it can be easily folded in any of numerous shapes.  Of course, I'm aware that you mean when the flag is folded as per protocol (or in the same manner as the US flag), it does not present the readily identified symbol of our flag i.e., the maple leaf.

My buddies retirement is in a few days and I'm doing his shadow box on leave. Last step is getting the flag folded into the triangle for the top of the box. Do you guys know the procedure?

As already posted the "official" method of folding the Canadian flag does not produce a triangle nor does it present the maple leaf if the "official" American method of folding their flag is used.  I assume that you want to provide a flag display similar to this:

If so, do you already have the triangular frame built?  Do you already have the flag?  If the answer is yes, then all you have to do is determine what portion of the flag you want to display.  Cut out a template (cardboard, paper, whatever) to the size of the frame.  Start folding.  Stop folding when the flag is the same size as the template.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline rmc_wannabe

• CADPAT Computer Nerd
  • Rate Post
  • NTLDR is missing, PRESS Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 16:55:56 »

. . . doesn't fold nicely . . .   It's a piece of cloth; it can be easily folded in any of numerous shapes.  Of course, I'm aware that you mean when the flag is folded as per protocol (or in the same manner as the US flag), it does not present the readily identified symbol of our flag i.e., the maple leaf.

It can also be folded into an origami swan, but the SSM gave me extras for that ;D
"One of the most feared expressions in modern times is 'The computer is down.'"
 -Norman Ralph Augustine

Offline TwoTonShackle

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 17:00:03 »
Blackadder nailed it, use a template.  Display whatever part of the flag best fits the shadow box and fold the rest of it as best as possible in accordance with the template.  Also, iron the flag.  Once you get it in the shadow box last thing you want to see is creases.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 18:27:54 »
One of the better backing materials is foam core. You can make your template and then pin or otherwise affix the flag from the back reducing the chance of wrinkles. Put the flag into the frame and then drape the rest to fit. Seal it up and away you go. I did this with an oversized rectangular frame and it worked like a charm.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 22:32:17 »
Either way (and I feel this is common sense), ensure your backing (foam core, Bristol board, plywood) is a neutral white, whether through paint or naturally.  Wood backing knots, for example, can bleed through in time.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 06:43:23 »
There is actually no "official" way to fold a Canadian flag.  The website quoted describes more of a drill movement to fold the flag from a coffin at a funeral.  I've done shaodow boxes in the past and I've always folded the flag to highlight whatever part of the flag I wanted to show.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 23:00:35 »
I just used a triangle template from teh backing of the box to fold the flag around and after 3 tries managed to finangle something into it and lit looks good.