Author Topic: Assisted Dying.  (Read 10211 times)

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Re: Assisted Dying.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 14:46:19 »
A copy of that, and a copy of the Advanced Care Directive...which actually annoys me when someone with an ACP "C" (comfort care only) gets sent to the ER by PCH staff when they're starting a downward spiral - they should be staying put.  For some reason, the staff get spooked by dying people actually dying in their "own" home as it were ::).

MM

Perhaps that goes to what I was suggesting with respect to the "oaths" that the professionals take.

Is there an acceptance of the concept of "a good death"? 
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 15:33:10 »
Or, sometimes they don't  want paramedics to resuscitate. The family hands you a DNR order signed by the doctor.

But, in Ontario, when called to respond to a scene where a person has lost vital signs, and in the absence of a Do Not Resuscitate Confirmation Form (DNRCF), even if a DNR Order is presented to attending paramedics, under regulations of the MOHTLC, paramedics must begin resuscitative measures.

What if a person had 'Do Not Resuscitate' tattooed on their chest where the paddle goes?

The problem I have with the form, is that it's only good if there is someone there to present it or you are at the place of it being held. If I'm at a restaurant, by myself, they'll attempt to revive against my wishes because I don't have a piece of paper. However, if it's tattooed on me, that was obviously my choice and it should be accepted as my wishes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 15:43:01 by recceguy »
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 13:36:36 »
As to the suggestion of an "Executioner", would you prefer Terminator or End of Life Guide?

The main issues IMHO are:
- Past generations are dead,
- Will you or your generation live for ever,
- Should we have a voice in determining how and when we die?  Some people smoke, others participate in dangerous sports/endeavors, do we deem these actions illegal.

What if the granter of wishes for assisting you in dying was your spiritual guide (Priest, Minister, Imam, Rabbi etc.) and for those without one, then it is their immediate family that needs to concede.

I would prefer to have an informed discussion as was the case with my father in which the immediate family gathered at his bedside, he was kept "medication-induced" comfortable until he took his last breath, rather than being told to go get some rest and being called a few hours later that Mom had passed alone.

Is there a moral or ethical difference between assisted dying, suicide, and dying by refusing care in the case of terminal cancer patients?

A key point in the discussion is that under assisted dying laws in other countries such as The Netherlands (also referred to as Euthanasia and Assisted suicide), it is illegal; however, the medical practitioner is not punishable as long as specific guidelines are followed.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 13:43:27 by Simian Turner »
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 13:44:33 »
I am agnostic on what the Executioner is called so long as it is not some feel good euphemism like "Spiritual Guide".

I was unaware that the Dutch law still consider the act illegal but allowed it to be justifiable.  In my view that goes a long way to resolving some of my internal debates.

WRT the mode of egress - that is a matter for the individual to decide.  Whether they choose to involve their family or their god is up to them. 

I don't think that anybody should be forced to kill somebody against their wishes.  (and before anybody chirps up with Soldiers! - they volunteer for the job knowing what the job requirements are).
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 14:01:31 »
WRT the mode of egress - that is a matter for the individual to decide. 

I prefer not  to go the DIY route for certain jobs, because I might botch it. Would rather hire a pro to handle it instead.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 16:36:53 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 15:54:54 »
I prefer not  to go the DIY for certain jobs, because I might botch it. Would rather hire a pro to handle it instead.

Me too.  But I don't want somebody doing the job because they have been coerced either.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2016, 16:13:15 »
I suppose one could become a Suicide Tourist and fly to Switzerland on a one-way ticket,

Zurich voters keep 'suicide tourism' alive
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/15/zurich-voters-suicide-tourism-alive.html
Voters in Zurich have overwhelmingly rejected calls to ban assisted suicide or to outlaw the practice for nonresidents

Or do it on the cheap at a pet shop in Mexico,

Euthanasia tourists snap up pet shop drug in Mexico
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mexico-euthanasia-idUSN0329945820080603?sp=true
Elderly foreign tourists are tapping Mexican pet shops for a drug used by veterinarians to put cats and dogs to sleep that has become the sedative of choice for euthanasia campaigners.

Clutching photos of the bottled drug to overcome a lack of Spanish, they have maps sketched by euthanasia activists to locate back-street pet shops and veterinary supply stores near the U.S. border. There they can buy a bottle for $35 to $50, enough for one suicide, no questions asked.

Nine myths about euthanasia in the Netherlands

Euthanasia is really easy is in the Netherlands

Elderly Dutch people prefer to go to hospitals abroad for fear of being murdered by doctors in hospitals in the Netherlands

Children can use euthanasia to get rid of their elderly parents in order to get their hands on the inheritance

A Dutch clinic is to open where you can end your life

One telephone call and a mobile team turns up to end your life

Dutch people go around with wristbands saying they don’t want to be euthanized

Ten percent of Dutch deaths are down to euthanasia and many people are forced into it

Everyone can come to the Netherlands in order to have their life terminated

Parents can get rid of their handicapped child
https://www.rnw.org/archive/nine-myths-about-euthanasia-netherlands
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 21:12:41 by mariomike »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 19:55:09 »
Sep 17, 2016

Belgian minor granted euthanasia for first time ever
http://www.680news.com/2016/09/17/belgian-minor-granted-euthanasia-for-first-time-ever/
Belgium is the only country that allows minors of any age assistance in dying, De Gucht said. In Holland, the lower age limit for euthanasia is 12 years.