Author Topic: VAC Return to Lifetime Pensions Discussion  (Read 63358 times)

Offline prairefire

• Rate Post
Re: VAC Return to Lifetime Pensions Discussion
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2018, 16:21:26 »
Attached is my calculation of what the new pension for life looks like. It is based on the VAC infographic at http://www.veterans.gc.ca/GCWeb/pdf/Retro/PFL-infographic.pdf

The devil will be in the regulations however based o their example, if it does not change the amount will bring us about half way to the old pension. I have a foot in both pension and disability awards.

Of course there may be all sorts of details which the bureaucrats may put in place that will make all this moot............

Enjoy the possibility..............

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2018, 20:27:20 »
If the number at the bottom right is what I should be getting per month, I'm super excited at my $46. I can buy a case of the premium beer. Then again, I'm only 10% with lump sums in 2013 and 2015.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:30 »
Trudeau said his government's monthly pension amount is lower because it takes into account the cost of services offered by the federal government including post-traumatic-stress treatment and psychological care, support for caregivers and family members who look after wounded veterans and job training for those who can still get back into the job market.

I think this is all smoke and mirrors. First the new "pension" in 2019 is another promise before an election just like the other one. Why, why will it take two years to draft regulations and legislation? If Vets are such a priority it could be done in 12 months. Drop tools. do this.

All these other new benefits the PM/Minister are touting are budgeted at x million dollars and are added to the the total of what VAC is providing. Thus VAC big budget figures. The question is:are all these benefit budgets being expended? How easy are they to access?

If these benefits are not utilized then it's just a carrot not eaten and a method to say: Here voters, we gave Vets all this and they didn't use it, but we are giving Vets millions of dollars.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2018, 10:57:00 »

If these benefits are not utilized then it's just a carrot not eaten and a method to say: Here voters, we gave Vets all this and they didn't use it, but we are giving Vets millions of dollars.

TRUE!
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2018, 12:09:19 »
The governments idea of we're spending millions on programs, so they don't have to give you cash, is a ludicrous concept. Perhaps even Canada's own 'Chelsea Pensioners'? (which would be a great gig, but not available to all)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pensioner
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #230 on: March 29, 2018, 12:43:35 »
Bill C-74 Pension for Life.

CVA has isolated the Veterans Affairs part from the rest of the Bill.

http://canadianveteransadvocacy.com/VACDND_Services-Benefits/?p=1197

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2018, 13:51:56 »
Bill C-74 Pension for Life.

CVA has isolated the Veterans Affairs part from the rest of the Bill.

http://canadianveteransadvocacy.com/VACDND_Services-Benefits/?p=1197

Cheers Teag
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2018, 07:41:13 »
So for those that already received a lump sum, does anyone know if we'd have the option to take whatever the top up monthly payment will be in a lump sum as well? I rather get it all in one shot than get 130$ a month....

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #233 on: August 08, 2018, 09:12:07 »
So for those that already received a lump sum, does anyone know if we'd have the option to take whatever the top up monthly payment will be in a lump sum as well? I rather get it all in one shot than get 130$ a month....

I know the answer is no but I can't exactly remember why but it has to do with technically receiving the full amount already.

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2018, 09:20:18 »
It's called cost saving, Remember your asking for more than we can give. Can hardly wait for next election, wont change anything but at least it will feel good boot out sock boy. :rofl:

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2018, 09:31:06 »
Hmm that's unfortunate. They do mention in the documentation for the new pension for life that members will have the option to take a lump sum so I was hoping that those that will be getting the recalculated benefit will also get a lump sum option.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2018, 10:02:13 »
For the  record. I cant confirm that previous pay outs are excluded.

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2018, 09:07:34 »

There should be something other. That $130 is kind of a kick in the junk. This whole thing is, but I would be pissed off if they don't allow some kind of lump sum. That 130, won't even pay a cable bill, and I read a $46? Wtf.

Just remember this come election time, educate friends and family on this nightmare and false promises.

The sad part, myself at 102%, and my parents, I think grade 2? On the old, my parents recieved more then if I waited and dumped all claims in on April 1st.
I am McLovin

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2018, 12:48:15 »
So, It was a bit Slow today at work.
Also My "issues" make me want to be in the know, and know whats exactly expected.
I redid the Spreadsheet that another member did. Thank you for that,

I matched up the steps and followed them as per the infographic. Which the math does work out,

I have multiple payouts, with 4 different DAs for different injuries. HAd to go to VRAB several times, and some reassessments.
In the Sheet are notes, The only things you need to fill out are

Everything else should Auto Fill;

1. Payment date (Month/Day/Year)
2. Payment award(amount)
3. Disability Amount %
4. Age in years
5. Life Expectancy according to VAC
6. Additional Payment, the extra payment that was made to match/

I did find it is equal amount of money paid out between the current and the PFL if under Hybrid,
Hope this helps.
I am McLovin

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2018, 14:04:39 »
So, It was a bit Slow today at work.
Also My "issues" make me want to be in the know, and know whats exactly expected.
I redid the Spreadsheet that another member did. Thank you for that,

I matched up the steps and followed them as per the infographic. Which the math does work out,

I have multiple payouts, with 4 different DAs for different injuries. HAd to go to VRAB several times, and some reassessments.
In the Sheet are notes, The only things you need to fill out are

Everything else should Auto Fill;

1. Payment date (Month/Day/Year)
2. Payment award(amount)
3. Disability Amount %
4. Age in years
5. Life Expectancy according to VAC
6. Additional Payment, the extra payment that was made to match/

I did find it is equal amount of money paid out between the current and the PFL if under Hybrid,
Hope this helps.

that was great thanks

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2018, 22:11:36 »
I sent a message on my vac to find out about taking the lump sum option, still waiting for an answer. I also did the calculation with the excel sheet, thanks for that. For the amount that I will get, I would really rather get it in one payment than getting a ridiculous 100$ a month....

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2018, 08:19:44 »
I sent a message on my vac to find out about taking the lump sum option, still waiting for an answer. I also did the calculation with the excel sheet, thanks for that. For the amount that I will get, I would really rather get it in one payment than getting a ridiculous 100$ a month....

Most of us would prefer it. I think. At my age, I could probably near double that with proper investing. Or I could buy a rental property and make more per month off the rent then the 1150.

$100-$500 a month for most that qualify under this won't have a major positive influence on their lives.

The new "veteran" that would receive these benefits is majority under 50, not retired, probably had or was forced to find work postmedicall

I am curious,
Once it's released and rolling, with trudexit mostly occuring in 2019, how will the conservatives improve this,
And

What is the additional pain and compensation, I have not seen anything that dictates what qualifies for it.

Ie
I'm at 102%,
Recieved  CIA at lowest grade.
1 at 65%
1 at 10%
1 at 20%
1 at 5%

VRAB for one more, back, go figure back is the hardest to do because of the way military doctors write.

And a review to increase my hearing because it's in a steady decline since 2012, and the latest puts me at an almost deaf in my right ear.

I work from home, medical reasons, I see physio, mental health and RMT regularly, hope fully soon a chiro.

Are they judging it like the CIA? Because thats a joke. Your CM decides on that, if you have one, and what happens when you are forced out of the Rehab program and your CM removed? Some intake case manager decides on it, that doesn't know you or your situation.

If anyone has insight on the Additional please post it?

TIA

I am McLovin

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #242 on: August 10, 2018, 11:27:12 »
The additional Pain and compensation benefit is the CIA. They will be eliminating the time servered criteria and will be based on the medical criteria that exists now. The benefit will also be tax free Grade 1 being $1500 Grade 2 $1000 and Grade 3 $500.

Whatever your grade is now will be protected on coming into force and they cannot bump you down a grade if they bumped you up due to the time served criteria.

Also if DEC the CIA supplement will be eliminated and a 1% per year added to your pay until you would have reached 20 years service. If you have 20 or more years then your SOL.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #243 on: August 10, 2018, 14:40:42 »
Got a reply from VAC saying that it would be possible to take it as a lump sum. Once all the calculations are done, we'll be provided with a worksheet and a choice of how to take it.

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #244 on: August 10, 2018, 15:43:30 »
Got a reply from VAC saying that it would be possible to take it as a lump sum. Once all the calculations are done, we'll be provided with a worksheet and a choice of how to take it.

Beautiful.
Will be nice to have that and take control of it. Invest and retire early.
I am McLovin

Offline Kokanee

• Rate Post
« Reply #245 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:08 »
Thanks for the spread sheet, not counting my eggs before they hatch, but nice to get a ballpark of what to expect month to month or lump sum....
Retired EW 291

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2018, 21:16:50 »
Thanks for the spread sheet, not counting my eggs before they hatch, but nice to get a ballpark of what to expect month to month or lump sum....

No I agree. I have found it best with VAC to know the math prior. Go in with a level head, and an understanding of the steps behind.
Ie-
 Right now they won't give me a reassess even though I'm over 100% and they have me as 8% hearing loss, but in effect I'm deaf now in my right ear. Which, adds to the disability and puts me at 65% for PTSD and a combined 50% for others, which according to the intake case manager would put me at a grade 2 for CIA.
I am McLovin

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: August 14, 2018, 21:50:40 »
Question with regards to grade 1,2,or3. Is everyone grade 1,2,or3 or are some not graded and fall by the wayside. Anyone know or seen anything in print. Thanks in advance.

Offline upandatom

• Rate Post
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2018, 09:30:45 »
Question with regards to grade 1,2,or3. Is everyone grade 1,2,or3 or are some not graded and fall by the wayside. Anyone know or seen anything in print. Thanks in advance.

A few things,
1. you have to apply, which if you don't know about it or have a shitty case manager you will.never know
2. It depends on the amount of physical disability, and if it affects working
3. It also will adjust via mental health.
4. I forget the right way, but starts at one level and increases to a third, with varying degrees of compensation. (Which is currently taxed) and next year not.

So-called if someone getting PSC pension, as well as APSC, they are near the old charter threshold. Which seems it will be the liberal war cry when it comes to voting.
But- very few veterans, that actually use it will be getting PSC, and full grade APSC.

I am McLovin

Offline cowboy628

• Rate Post
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:34 »
Thanks will have to look into it.