Author Topic: Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite vs. Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Alwayslearning

• Rate Post
Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite vs. Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad
« on: October 10, 2016, 19:15:37 »
I'm looking to ditch the sleeping mattress for either the simplicity of the Therm-A-Rest Foam Z-Lite sleeping pad or the Klymit Static V (4 Season) Mattress that deflates pretty fast and packs as small as a Nalgene Bottle.

Anyone have any experience or advice with either?  Should I just accept the bulkiness of the foam pad in exchange for the simplicity of not having to deflate it when packing (it's about the same size as the issued mattress when stored).  Has anyone used the Klymit Static V?  Does it pack as fast as it seems it can?

Offline Scrim

• Rate Post
Re: Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite vs. Klymit Static V Sleeping Pad
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 20:13:07 »
I have both, started off with the therm-a-rest and it served me well, but I upgraded to the Klymit Static V2 awhile ago and I haven't gone back.

The Klymit is much more comfortable, and it does pack up very small and I can stuff it next to my sleeping bag, etc in the bottom pouch of my ruck. To pack it to the smallest it can go, will take a bit of time; but if in a rush you can still compress it and get it fairly small to pack in your ruck and go.

If you go with the Klymit, I recommend ditching the stuff sack it comes with(keep it in follow on kit as it has a repair kit) and using a large rubber band or similar item to hold it together once rolled up.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 20:17:35 by LightFighter »

Offline Alwayslearning

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 20:29:36 »
What's the packing time on the Klymit?  One reviewer online said 30s. True?

I have both, started off with the therm-a-rest and it served me well, but I upgraded to the Klymit Static V2 awhile ago and I haven't gone back.

The Klymit is much more comfortable, and it does pack up very small and I can stuff it next to my sleeping bag, etc in the bottom pouch of my ruck. To pack it to the smallest it can go, will take a bit of time; but if in a rush you can still compress it and get it fairly small to pack in your ruck and go.

If you go with the Klymit, I recommend ditching the stuff sack it comes with(keep it in follow on kit as it has a repair kit) and using a large rubber band or similar item to hold it together once rolled up.

Offline Scrim

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 20:44:44 »
What's the packing time on the Klymit?  One reviewer online said 30s. True?

I've never timed myself, but 30 seconds for a full compression might be tight. Maybe that reviewer has a better technique than me. I'm still able to compress and pack it up fairly quickly though.

Offline Alwayslearning

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 21:04:23 »
I've never timed myself, but 30 seconds for a full compression might be tight. Maybe that reviewer has a better technique than me. I'm still able to compress and pack it up fairly quickly though.

Yah he rolled it quick and dirty deflating it.  Unrolled it then did two folds and rolled it again.  Thanks for the advice gonna pick one up off campsaver this week. 

Any advice on different sleeping bag systems?  The issued ones make my ruck insanely heavy.  My CSM was making fun of my rucks weight last exercise and from what I can figure it's the damn sleeping bags, it weighs nothing otherwise.  Guess I shouldn't have brought both out with me.

I'm partial to Snugpak Products.

Offline Scrim

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 21:14:33 »
I use the Snugpack Sleeper Extreme for most of the year, but during the winter I use one of the issue sleeping bags.  Eventually I'll probably buy another Snugpack bag for winter.

For sleeping bag liners/hot weather lightweight sleeping bags I have the issue thermal blanket, fleece sleeping bag liner and a USMC enhanced poncho liner.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 21:21:18 by LightFighter »

Offline Alwayslearning

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 21:20:02 »
Yah I'm looking at the Snugpak Special forces bag, two zip together for -15C.  Maybe a Snugpak Antarctica for more severe conditions.