Author Topic: Politics in 2017  (Read 79372 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Politics in 2017
« Reply #425 on: March 20, 2017, 19:08:47 »
Wrong angle.  Pain and suffering and failure to keep the Scots out.

Things have really changed,now the Scots want to stay home. :D

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #426 on: March 20, 2017, 19:31:46 »
Things have really changed,now the Scots want to stay home. :D

I think they did then too......
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #427 on: March 20, 2017, 19:50:48 »
Pic y, Pic y.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #428 on: March 20, 2017, 22:50:39 »
Nothing left in Scotland but Irishmen with names like Connolly and Connery.

All the Scots left and became Prime Ministers in London (Cameron, Brown, Blair, Home...)  or set up opium shops in Hong Kong.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #429 on: March 21, 2017, 13:24:14 »
Or they do and they disagree with it.  Thus they have expressed their democratic rights, of expression, as protected by Canadian law.

Of course - but there's nothing that can be done once they claim asylum.  We have to process their claim, no matter how they got here.  We signed the relevant treaties, after all.

Changing that is an entirely different discussion.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2017, 13:24:57 »
God, jmt!  I remain in continuing awe of your generally amazing superiority. 

I genuflect.  I genuflect. I genuflect.   [:D

I'm definitely superior to no one.  Just the other day, right on this website, I misunderstood the meaning of statist.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2017, 13:27:31 »
The interesting thing about law is that it can be changed. The law must balance between protecting the minority's rights while following the constitution (although I believe the constitution as a whole only covers Canadian citizens, with non-citizens being granted the rights laid out in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms) while ensuring that the majority's will is respected (as per democracy(.

Your absoluteness on every subject must be a real conversation starter at parties.

In real life, I'm much less absolute.  I don't disagree that the illegal border crossings are concerning (though they're being blown out of proportion).  I simply don't think that people generally understand the process.  Most people that I know don't even realize that those caught are arrested immediately.  Once they say the magic word, and if a criminal record is not found (generally not a problem in the case of those crossing) the must be released and their claim must be processed.

We should do away with the safe third country agreement.  Then people will stop sneaking in.  The Liberals won't budge on that, because they brought the agreement in.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #432 on: March 21, 2017, 13:47:33 »
I'm definitely superior to no one.  Just the other day, right on this website, I misunderstood the meaning of statist.

:cheers:
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #433 on: March 21, 2017, 21:36:15 »
Nothing left in Scotland but Irishmen with names like Connolly and Connery.

All the Scots left and became Prime Ministers in London (Cameron, Brown, Blair, Home...)  or set up opium shops in Hong Kong.

They grow up on a cold, wet, always raining island. To make improvements, they move half way around the world.... To a cold, wet always raining island (Vancouver)  and become union executives.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 21:41:05 by recceguy »
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Op UNIFIER - CAF and the Ukraine Crisis
« Reply #434 on: March 27, 2017, 12:14:18 »
... That the Liberals continued their path (on Ukraine) in a situation that has remained largely the same should be a rare opportunity for them to show solidarity and applaud the government.
And in politics, it often seems that even if side x (be it Team Blue/Red/Orange/Beige/whatever)does what side y wants, it's either "too little, too late," "it's STILL not enough" or silence leading to criticism about the next thing y disagrees with.

- mod edit to clarify quote with yellow add -
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:30:07 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
Re: Re: Op UNIFIER - CAF and the Ukraine Crisis
« Reply #435 on: March 27, 2017, 16:15:48 »
The Romans ran into this problem where the politicians simply bickered to bicker without any just cause.

We know how well that turned out...

Historically, countries (or societies of people in general) have an interesting cycle where they are more democratic for a bit, then more authoritarian, back to more democratic and the wheel just keeps on spinning.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #436 on: March 27, 2017, 18:37:00 »
The Romans ran into this problem where the politicians simply bickered to bicker without any just cause.

We know how well that turned out...

Historically, countries (or societies of people in general) have an interesting cycle where they are more democratic for a bit, then more authoritarian, back to more democratic and the wheel just keeps on spinning.

In fairness, I think that our particular bickering issues is actually a design function of Westminster Parliamentary Democracy.

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #437 on: March 27, 2017, 21:21:31 »
I sometimes watch Question Period (I know, I really must have nothing to do  :P) and you will find members of both sides continuously making a loud raucous that prevents the other side from speaking thus requiring the Speaker of the House to shush them like children. Or you have the pointless snide comments that are only made to try and improve the ego of the individual saying them.

I agree that there must be a back and forth, otherwise you will never be able to reach a compromise. I do not believe that our back and forth in it's current form is very useful nor does it provide anything of actual import the majority of the time. Perhaps removing the Friday sitting and the subsequent cut in pay (yes I know that the MP's will still "technically" be working but it is nice to dream) would be beneficial.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #438 on: March 28, 2017, 09:18:10 »
I sometimes watch Question Period (I know, I really must have nothing to do  :P) and you will find members of both sides continuously making a loud raucous that prevents the other side from speaking thus requiring the Speaker of the House to shush them like children. Or you have the pointless snide comments that are only made to try and improve the ego of the individual saying them.

For a time, the Liberals didn't under Trudeau, as they said they wanted to do Parliament better.  The media has reported that lately, in the last couple of months, that has been returning to the governing side of the bench as well (I can't remember where I read that in the last two weeks or so).

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #439 on: March 28, 2017, 10:46:09 »

I agree that there must be a back and forth, otherwise you will never be able to reach a compromise. I do not believe that our back and forth in it's current form is very useful nor does it provide anything of actual import the majority of the time. Perhaps removing the Friday sitting and the subsequent cut in pay (yes I know that the MP's will still "technically" be working but it is nice to dream) would be beneficial.

Someone here wisely pointed out it's called Question period, not Answer period (or was that Question and Answer period?).  I've seen it a few times and thought it was a complete joke. It reminds me of reality TV where the point is to one-up each other and get cheers from your side.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: Canadian Politics
« Reply #440 on: March 28, 2017, 13:14:57 »
Someone here wisely pointed out it's called Question period, not Answer period (or was that Question and Answer period?).  I've seen it a few times and thought it was a complete joke. It reminds me of reality TV where the point is to one-up each other and get cheers from your side.
And I hear that even though government folk write up decent, whazzup answers to possible questions that can come up (when there is a firm answer to be had, anyway) during Oral Questions (the official term), many Ministers aren't willing to go with the DS solution, with many going, as you say, for the political zinger instead.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #441 on: March 30, 2017, 09:50:28 »
Re: Canadian Army headed to mission in Africa ‘very soon’: top general
« Reply #799 on: March 25, 2017, 10:45:40 »

The last two sentences are the usual Trudeau jiberish.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/25/un-peacekeeping-mission-possible-in-2017-trudeau-says.html

“I’ve been around the Liberal party an awfully long time, as you all know, and I’ve never seen a caucus as strongly united in our approach and our values,” Trudeau said on his way to the meeting, which was in its second day.

One of the great strengths of the Liberal party is there is always a range of perspectives that allow us to represent the range of perspectives of Canadians,” he said[/color

Here's an example of "the great strengths of the Liberal party is there is always a range of perspectives that allow us to represent the range of perspectives of Canadians”

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-party-s-exclusive-deal-with-data-company-benefits-trudeau-friend-1.3346830

Globe and Mail summary. More at link.

It’s a small world: a data analytics company owned by a good friend of Mr. Trudeau is benefiting from a major contract with the Liberal Party of Canada, CTV reports. The company, Data Sciences Inc., is owned by Tom Pitfield, who also chairs Canada 2020, a think tank that hosts events that often feature cabinet ministers. Mr. Pitfield’s wife, Anna Gainey, is the president of the Liberal Party, and two of Data Sciences’ employees sit on the party’s board of directors. Mr. Pitfield and Ms. Gainey joined the Trudeaus during their recent holiday in the Bahamas with the Aga Khan.

Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:39 »
I am certainly not known as a friend of the Liberals, but I think CTV is trying to build an appearance of scandal out of thin air, and you fell for it R62.  :nod:

The political parties in Canada are private organizations and, since the Conservative government of Mr. Harper stopped that nonsense, receive no public funding. As private entities, they are entitled to spend the money they raise whichever way they want without any constraints - except when and where that money is spent for the purpose of an election and the electoral rules come into play.

Therefore, there is absolutely nothing improper as far as the public is concerned with the Liberal party spending its money on hiring friends of their high level personnel. It's up to the Liberal party members to decide if they think it's appropriate behaviour from their leader or not and act accordingly within the party. This is so until there is evidence (not the case here) that somehow, public money is used to pay for the contract or that the contract is used as a sham to funnel public money into the party coffers, as was done during the Sponsorship scandal.

As of now, there is no apparent impropriety, and it is a pure internal matter for the Liberal party.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:49:40 by Oldgateboatdriver »

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #443 on: March 30, 2017, 11:48:50 »
Yesterday the DND Ombudsman was on CBC's Power and Politics once again expressing his frustration with the way the department conducts their business. One statement that caught my ear was him having to get DM approval for all travel and how that costs extra money. I whole heartily agree with this statement, we already had a working process that the government decided to put another layer of oversight for no good reason. A unit CO is given a budget, its their responsibility to spend it wisely and within the rules already in place. If they screw it up by incompetence or fraud then there is disciplinary methods to correct, there is no need for them to have higher authority to approve actions (and add in time) that are already within their arcs of fire.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2017, 12:17:51 »
Didn't fall far or at all. I agree with you Oldgateboatdriver. But it is the way the Liberals operate, either as a private organization or as a government. Friends of ....

Is the LPC etc private or public organization? Membership is open to the public and is not a closed entity like a corporation which is not traded publicly.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2017, 12:31:53 »
"Private" vs "public" here is not used in the sense of whether the "public" can become members or not, but in the legal sense used from an enterprises point of view: It is not created and or under the controlling interest of any government, wether federal, provincial or municipal (other than with general laws, like everything else).

It is open to the public, but to have a say you must become a member and pay your dues. That doesn't make it "public" anymore than say, the Bank of Montreal. The bank is a private enterprise, not a public/crown corporation, even though, because it is publicly traded, any member of the public can acquire some of its share.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #446 on: March 31, 2017, 17:59:54 »
Anyone know how Bombardier is making out after the Liberals gave them millions of dollars?  Probably saved a lot of jobs eh? Maybe even created a bunch of new jobs?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #447 on: March 31, 2017, 18:52:09 »
Anyone know how Bombardier is making out after the Liberals gave them millions of dollars?  Probably saved a lot of jobs eh? Maybe even created a bunch of new jobs?

The execs each bought a new Rolls Royce: http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2017/03/30/bombardier-execs-get-big-bonuses-amid-massive-layoffs/

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #448 on: March 31, 2017, 19:09:23 »
Sorry PuckChaser but that has to be Fake News. Bombardier was a struggling Canadian icon, our Liberal government gave them millions of dollars  ($372.5 million?) to bail them out out of financial hardship and secure jobs for Canadians!  I'm going to bet my Celine Dion CDs that the execs  took a pay cut on top of saving all those Canadian jobs, if not creating new ones.  :nod:

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #449 on: March 31, 2017, 21:53:40 »
No, no, no.  "Alternative Facts", not fake news. :nod:
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.