Author Topic: New Navy Uniform (Rumor)  (Read 8562 times)

Offline Eric17

• Rate Post
New Navy Uniform (Rumor)
« on: February 22, 2017, 13:36:55 »
I've heard there is a new uniform coming for the navy and it's currently waiting for approval. One of the POs from my unit said the new uniform will be a black and white camo or something. Is this true? If it is, are there any pictures of it online?
Recruiting Centre: HMCS Discovery/New Westminister RC
Regular/ Reserve: Reserve
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Naval Combat Information Operator
Trade Choice 2: Boatswain
Trade Choice 3: Naval Communicator
Online Application: July 19th 2016
First Contact: July 21th 2016
FORCE test: July 28th, 2016 (Passed)
CFAT: September 22nd, 2016 (Passed)
Medical: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Interview: October 21st, 2016 (Passed)
Position offered: Boatswain
Swearing in: December 6th, 2016
BMQ: TBD

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Re: New Navy Uniform (Rumor)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 13:48:16 »
Good rumour, should go far, racial camo.......
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Eland2

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 13:50:28 »
I've heard there is a new uniform coming for the navy and it's currently waiting for approval. One of the POs from my unit said the new uniform will be a black and white camo or something. Is this true? If it is, are there any pictures of it online?

If this is true, it might well be based on a prototype naval combat dress ensemble that was released for consideration last year, like the one shown in the picture, with a camouflage pattern instead of an all-black colour.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 14:16:04 »
Bah.  We need one of HMCS to be designated as a Highland unit.  Just think: stokers in kilts.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 14:25:48 »
Bah.  We need one of HMCS to be designated as a Highland unit.  Just think: stokers in kilts.

Well, it will make access to one the three naval traditions easier.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Eland2

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 14:33:53 »
If a camouflage-type NCD ensemble is released, I wonder if it will be a CADPAT pattern or something else, maybe something closer to what the Royal Australian Navy have.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 14:37:36 »
If a camouflage-type NCD ensemble is released, I wonder if it will be a CADPAT pattern or something else, maybe something closer to what the Royal Australian Navy have.

See also,

NAVAL COMBAT DRESS (NCD)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,49086.150.html
7 pages.

NCD
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+ncd&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=AuitWIbEFKeC8QeYy57oCQ&gws_rd=ssl#
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 19:27:11 »
I believe the proper name would be "Canadian Salt & Pepper pattern" or CANSAP for short. ;D

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 19:33:47 »
. . .  the new uniform will be a black and white camo or something. . . .

Something . . . like this?

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 20:18:59 »
I was thinking more of a dalmatian or zebra print myself.

Offline duffman

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 21:01:42 »
Something . . . like this?

That is sharp.  Zebra print looks a little more dapper though.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 21:06:09 »
The new NCD will likely be the same cut as the Army's combat clothing, but in a monochrome (dark blue), fire-retardant material.  Even the Americans are getting rid of their "aquaflage." 
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 23:09:26 »
I was thinking more of a dalmatian or zebra print myself.
Definitely dalmatian for those sea dogs  [:D

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:23 »
The new NCD will likely be the same cut as the Army's combat clothing, but in a monochrome (dark blue), fire-retardant material.  Even the Americans are getting rid of their "aquaflage."

I thought it was decided already for the RCN as what you said above?  The USN is getting rid of the Blueberries (Type I) and so all USN folks will wear their green version (Type III) that looks a little like TW CADPAT from afar...but not onboard ship, where they'll have dark blue coveralls.  So, I'm not really sure how they were saving any money in the end aside from optics (and fashion).

Incidentally, if the shirt is zippered (like the US Army version that started all of this) and available in olive drab, it'd be a good replacement for the current 2-piece flying suit top. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:05 »
The new Naval combats won't be camo, in fact it may not even be the style that was published. It is a number of years away at this point.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 08:58:17 »
The new Naval combats won't be camo, in fact it may not even be the style that was published. It is a number of years away at this point.

Sooo, kind of like new ships, huh?  ;D

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 11:41:27 »
Sooo, kind of like new ships, huh?  ;D

There's a good possibility that the extra bling on the NCD's is going away, units don't want to pay for it.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 20:37:09 »
In a quasi related note, has anyone gotten a new navy tunic recently?

I had to get a new one when I realized the old one was tight enough it was making my arms numb; new one showed up in the mail and it looks cheap as a Hamilton blind date.  Fabric is weirdly shiny and it has the really obvious coarse stitching.  Shouldn't be surprised given the quality of the shirts and pants now I guess, but still.

Funnily enough couldn't get a bigger size by increasing the chest/shoulder measurements; when went to manually select a size apparently I would have had to make the waist bigger.... ???

Based on the clothes I keep getting, I can't help but think the naval tailors use a dummy shaped like this; /\   I think they've gotten the vee shape inverted somewhere!

Offline donaldk

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 23:56:45 »
There's a good possibility that the extra bling on the NCD's is going away, units don't want to pay for it.

Also if you aren't under the RCN L1 org (e.g. FELEX Det, NDQAR, etc), base supply isn't issuing the latest rev of NCD jackets to them... so uptake to the current 'dress reg' hastily-without-fore-thought released on the street is being snubbed.  As three of my CPO2s that out... the budget allotment to get the required additional adornments was swiftly reallocated to more PP&S.  Going to be interesting at my next posting when the question comes why I didn't get the good stuff (not really going to matter as I'll be in N3B/N3Cs more often than not which haven't changes for the last 20 years).

Next time the navy dress committee dreams up a ******* dress change order/directive they ought to make sure CFSS is stocked and ready to distribute it properly before going 'live' (NAVGEN message release).  I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:46 »
Next time the navy dress committee dreams up a ******* dress change order/directive they ought to make sure CFSS is stocked and ready to distribute it properly before going 'live' (NAVGEN message release).  I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?
?
You aren't actually inferring that he RCN would make decisions without input or the understanding of the logistics, are you ?  ;)
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 08:31:14 »
In a quasi related note, has anyone gotten a new navy tunic recently?

I had to get a new one when I realized the old one was tight enough it was making my arms numb; new one showed up in the mail and it looks cheap as a Hamilton blind date

My face when I'm a Hamilton native:

"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 08:40:05 »
I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?

Could have been a lot worse; it's really easy to take off the cloth and put on the metal. Imagine if it had been the other way around!  :(
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Arctic SME
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:20 »
What we're seeing at my unit is that we are getting our NAVY/MARINE name tapes, flags and even a embroidered flat SSI at a place in Dartmouth and paying out of pocket. None of this is really official either with many around the yard wearing different items.

كافر

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:01 »
What we're seeing at my unit is that we are getting our NAVY/MARINE name tapes, flags and even a embroidered flat SSI at a place in Dartmouth and paying out of pocket. None of this is really official either with many around the yard wearing different items.

They released orders in NAVRES indicating that that the "new" RCN ball cap has been approved, and that units are not to have a mix of new and old (implying that as soon as you start getting new hats, you need to replace EVERYONE's ball caps at the same time). While a few (including on here) have shown me some suppliers who are producing a cotton/polyester mix, which is different form the old 100% cotton ball caps, I have yet to see anything OFFICIAL that says "This is what the new ball cap is. This is what it looks like. This is what it is made up." There was also talk of putting the CNE on the back of the new ball-caps. Is that part of the "approved" "new" RCN ball cap?

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 10:12:04 »
CNE ?
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:42 »

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Big Spoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 10:56:31 »

Where would a person find this notice on the metal SSI? I have looked through the 2017 NAVGENS and did not see it there.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 11:18:35 »
Where would a person find this notice on the metal SSI? I have looked through the 2017 NAVGENS and did not see it there.

It was an email from the RCN Chief, and apparently a CANFORGEN is to be released shortly.

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Big Spoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 11:20:54 »
It was an email from the RCN Chief, and apparently a CANFORGEN is to be released shortly.

Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Any word on if this is going to impact those of us Airforce types that have gone to sea?

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 11:26:30 »
Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Any word on if this is going to impact those of us Airforce types that have gone to sea?

AKIAK the RCAF and ARMY types will remain with the cloth pins.

This directive has been very poorly implemented.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:53 »
That's what we're informed.  The Air Force and Army will continue to use the cloth SSI as it worn on the sleeve vs chest.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:56 »
Canadian Naval Ensign.

Yeah, we couldn't use an internationally recognized term used by other Commonwealth navies, like "White Ensign" or even "Canadian White Ensign.  Instead, we had to name it after a dog and pony show in Toronto...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:38 »
Yeah, we couldn't use an internationally recognized term used by other Commonwealth navies, like "White Ensign" or even "Canadian White Ensign.  Instead, we had to name it after a dog and pony show in Toronto...

Don't forget about the BFE...

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 12:41:34 »
Canadian Naval Ensign.

How festive.

If they come out with one specifically for the West Coast Navy, would it be abbreviated 'PNE'? :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 14:37:55 »
How festive.

If they come out with one specifically for the West Coast Navy, would it be abbreviated 'PNE'? :)

You mean the TSNE?

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline bigzoomie

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2017, 22:48:25 »
AKIAK the RCAF and ARMY types will remain with the cloth pins.

This directive has been very poorly implemented.

And don't forget, the RCAF is switching from light blue background badges to the dark blue (black) background badges! So all those soon to be surplus RCN SSIs will start filtering down to AF supply and we can take our tunics in again for some sewing.

Why you ask?  Even the tailor doesn't know for certain! But there was mention about someone wanting the RCAF SSI background to match the shoulder tabs and wings.  Sigh.
Got Iltis?

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2017, 00:05:13 »
Hey it's alright, CDS said we don't need the money. So we'll be ok!
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 06:54:37 »
Why you ask?  Even the tailor doesn't know for certain! But there was mention about someone wanting the RCAF SSI background to match the shoulder tabs and wings.  Sigh.

It looks better (it stands out).  I know that's not a good reason, but it's the main reason.

CWO West has been sporting the RCN SSI badge for over a year now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:05:50 by Dolphin_Hunter »

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 09:44:34 »
It stands out quite well, IMO, and the black background does suit more with the RCAF badges/rank.  (He also has the right *new* Wings on now these days too)

"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2017, 19:02:37 »
My face when I'm a Hamilton native:

Haha, me too, otherwise I wouldn't make the cracks.  Running joke is I joined the Navy to get out of Hamilton.  Totally different city now though from when I grew up there.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2017, 22:18:38 »
Haha, me too, otherwise I wouldn't make the cracks.  Running joke is I joined the Navy to get out of Hamilton.  Totally different city now though from when I grew up there.

I know, right? You can actually recommend to out if towners to go visit James St, North!

But, they still don't know that there's a 160 sailors working in Hamilton.

Or upward of a 5-600 soldiers...

Or that Canada even has a Navy..

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:56 »
But, they still don't know that there's a 160 sailors working in Hamilton Victoria outside Dockyard.

Or upward of a 5-600 soldiers...

Or that Canada even has a Navy..

FTFY.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Calvillo

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 17:06:10 »

My question is that how many times does one need to assert that one works with the Naval Forces of Canada? Let us see the jacket. There is the anchor on the name tape, NAVY / MARINE tape with maple leaf in the middle, Naval Ensign (which design includes the Canadian flag) on the shoulder, Canadian flag on its own on the upper shoulder, and the word CANADA on both slip-ons.

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 00:04:13 »
My question is that how many times does one need to assert that one works with the Naval Forces of Canada? Let us see the jacket. There is the anchor on the name tape, NAVY / MARINE tape with maple leaf in the middle, Naval Ensign (which design includes the Canadian flag) on the shoulder, Canadian flag on its own on the upper shoulder, and the word CANADA on both slip-ons.
When your average Canadian becomes aware of the fact that Canada has a navy, I suppose the work will be done. In a meantime, an ensign on the uniform isn't going to kill anyone.