Author Topic: The navy is broke,' says former sailor over maintenance budget  (Read 7747 times)

Offline Inspir

• Rate Post
Re: The navy is broke,' says former sailor over maintenance budget
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:27 »
And once again I found myself looking at the comments section in the article.  :brickwall:

Joe Public really has no clue

Offline gryphonv

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 10:03:44 »
And once again I found myself looking at the comments section in the article.  :brickwall:

Joe Public really has no clue

First mistake was reading the comments section in a CBC article.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 12:44:22 »
Good Point. I try to block out the memories of those.

I think everyone does. 

I toured the USS Missouri a while back and noticed that they had a display Chemox (or something like it) as part of the tour.  I shuddered a bit.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 19:03:31 »
Ever wear Chemox......?  Something else to consider.

Did a set of workups near the end of the life of the chemox units. By the end of the (five?) weeks, there were about a half dozen guys with medical chits where they weren't allowed to wear the chemoxes unless it was a real emergency.  They were hacking up lungs and generally having a hard time breathing; even ST didn't question it as these were the same guys that were the first ones in bunker gear every time, but there were legitimate concerns about their health.  There was a whole raft of CF 98s filled out at the end to make sure they (and a bunch of other people with concerns) had it on their file in case it came up later in life. 

Also, I know Deuce from sailing with him.  This situation was pretty shitty; he got tagged by some as part of the sick lame and lazy crowd with NATO knees, but he had a legitimate reaction to something in the air and you could see it get worse the longer he stayed in the ship.  He was a pretty good guy (for a MARS officer!) so was sad to watch.

One thing I don't get about some of the ships is people are terrified to take a bit of diluted bleach to something that may be moldy and clean it up.  You can't really go anywhere, so I'd rather smell some bleach for a while then stare at moldy growths.  No heavily compartmentalized steel box is going to have a perfect HVAC system, so there will always be some areas where moisture collects and can lead to mold and mildew.  As long as you keep an eye open and clean it up as soon as it starts, it's manageable.  Its when it's in the trunking where it becomes a big problem, and that's a hugely labour intensive and expensive work with generally a lot of interference items, so it's a 60M for a reason.