Author Topic: BC declares state of emergency  (Read 1810 times)

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
BC declares state of emergency
« on: July 08, 2017, 12:01:10 »
Delivering cars these days and I saw up close and personaly the first at 108-105 mile and saw the smoke from penticton one when i was in kelowna... if anyone needs help, in any way, if I am able I will come. My buddies mom is under evacuation alert, i know it can be stressfull so if anyone needs help moving anything send me a message.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/british-columbia-declares-province-wide-state-of-emergency-raging-wildfires-multiply/83864

Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: BC declares state of emergency
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:07:49 »
Yup, it's bad and getting worse. A buddy of mine lives and works emergency services in 100 mile house. He and his family are evacced even as he continues to work. First responders are being redeployed to assist, but road closures are hindering efforts to get them in. The long term forecast is not encouraging...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline OldTanker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:42:41 »
First flooding, now fires.  A tough year in BC.

Offline RangerRay

• Rate Post
  • Kloshe Nanitch
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 13:25:38 »
First flooding, now fires.  A tough year in BC.

Not to mention a corrupt crony-capitalist Liberal government turfed by a radical left NDP/Green government …fun times…
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:43 »
My cousins up near Likely are prepped and ready to evacuate with their pigs. I hope that does not need to happen, over 10,000 people displaced already. 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:40:59 »
You can have as many firefighters as you want and the best technology possible, but on a dry day, there are three simple words that can dramatically change any wildfire situation for the worse.

"The wind changed," said Al Richmond.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfire-100-mile-house-evacuated-1.4197265
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 13:11:26 »
With all that bug killed timber up that way, this was only matter of time.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 13:33:48 »
3 Griffons are already on route, probably arrived already, with unknown fixed wing aircraft arriving later this week. As stated all it takes is a wind change to make things even worse. Given the amount of fires going on, this can turn very bad, very fast
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 14:21:18 »
3 Griffons are already on route, probably arrived already, with unknown fixed wing aircraft arriving later this week. As stated all it takes is a wind change to make things even worse. Given the amount of fires going on, this can turn very bad, very fast

Especially with an extended weather forecast like this  :o

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/british-columbia/Kamloops
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 17:09:34 »
Like pissing on a bonfire.

Get out of the way and pray for favourable winds.

Safe to say, looking at the CIFFC report for today, that the button is being pushed. Over 300 starts in the last 96 hours. Some fires not being detected until they are 500 ha. in size due to the amount of smoke from other fires. People are starting to be mobilized from out of province. Looks like 2003 all over again, to me.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline AbdullahD

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 18:05:17 »
Like pissing on a bonfire.

Get out of the way and pray for favourable winds.

Safe to say, looking at the CIFFC report for today, that the button is being pushed. Over 300 starts in the last 96 hours. Some fires not being detected until they are 500 ha. in size due to the amount of smoke from other fires. People are starting to be mobilized from out of province. Looks like 2003 all over again, to me.

I was just talking to a friend and he said dang near the same thing. Things are bad, likely to get worse. The boss just shut down work for the next week at a minimum due to fires and road closures.

Driving around I still see.. 'people' i prefer to use a  different term.. any rate i see them chucking cigarette butts out the window also in salmon arm apparently someone had a camp fire and left it unattended last night as well.

So we have natural issues to worry about... but we need to worry about human caused fires still.

100 mile is being evacuated, williams lake is on an evac warning.. etc etc the martin mars bomber is going under repairs and out of order.

Sorry, watching things unfold seeing all the evacuees. Hearing kamloops evac centers are full and people are being diverted to PG now :(

I just hope everyone is safe who is affected

Abdullah
Recruting Center: Vancouver
Component: Reg Force
Trade Choice 1: MSEOP
Application Date: 09/22/2016
First Contact: 09/28/2016
Tests:
CFAT- 10/15/2016 Passed
Medical- TBA
Interview- TBA
Position Offered: TBA
Basic Training Begins: TBA
Trade *Correction trade is open, back to getting fit :)*

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 21:27:56 »
Police are already dealing with looters in the vicinity of 100 mile. RCMP aren't screwing around, and have hard roadblocks set up to prevent people entering areas that are evacced.

Everything I'm hearing jives- bad and gonna get worse.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 22:44:21 »
The wildfire summary map for BC as at 12.45hrs today. Red is for fires over 1000 ha.

http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?siteid=5131184402955244847

Dresden Part Deux....

Key developments Monday in the battle against wildfires in British Columbia:
• About 300 firefighters and support staff from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and New Brunswick started to arrive to help relieve B.C. crews.
• About 1,000 firefighters from B.C. have been involved in fighting the fires.
• Provincial authorities say more than 215 fires were burning, with 29 breaking out on Sunday.
• Fires have scorched about 400 square kilometres of land and more than 14,000 people have been forced to leave their homes.
• Four tonnes of supplies arrived from Fort McMurray, Alta., including wrapped and sealed water, Gatorade and baby supplies.
• Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said B.C. requested 3,000 cots and 3,000 blankets from federal stockpiles, which have been delivered to Prince George.
• Canadian Armed Forces air support will be used for emergency evacuations and to move firefighters, emergency officials and equipment around the fire zone.
• B.C. Hydro reports significant damage to electrical infrastructure in the Interior.
• The largest blaze covered more than 60 square kilometres near Ashcroft, about 90 kilometres from Kamloops.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 22:53:47 by daftandbarmy »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:33:01 »
My cousins lost a travel trailer and a container full of skidoos/snowmobiles. So far their houses are intact, they parked their farm equipment in the fields as far from the forests as possible. They got sprinklers going 24/7 around the houses and a boat in the small lake in case they get trapped.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 19:10:31 »
I have only seen mention of RCAF contribution in announcements and big media, but it looks like at least a squadron of 1 CER has been spotted on the move through Hinton:

https://www.facebook.com/HintonVoice/photos/a.132644904933.107771.94372399933/10155129594124934/?type=3

Do good sappers.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 19:53:58 »
I have only seen mention of RCAF contribution in announcements and big media, but it looks like at least a squadron of 1 CER has been spotted on the move through Hinton:

https://www.facebook.com/HintonVoice/photos/a.132644904933.107771.94372399933/10155129594124934/?type=3

Do good sappers.

There are photos online of them rolling into Prince George today, bound for Williams Lake.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 20:23:43 »
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/202320/More-military-join-the-fight

More military join the fight - The Canadian Press - Jul 20, 2017 / 1:57 pm

The federal government is sending 225 additional Canadian Armed Forces members to help on the ground in British Columbia, where more than 45,000 people remain out of their homes due to fast-moving wildfires.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said the unarmed military members will assist with road checks in key access points in the Interior, freeing local police to do other duties.

"I'm pleased that (Ottawa has) acted as quickly as they have done in terms of recognizing the pressure that not only the people fighting the fires are under, but also the RCMP and policing forces," he told reporters in Kamloops.

"There are a lot of tired people out there who need a break."

Farnworth said that 150 additional military members were coming, but the Canadian Armed Forces clarified later Thursday that, in fact, 225 personnel were on their way to Williams Lake.

The members will join 150 personnel already in the area, bringing the total number of military members supporting emergency management efforts in B.C. to 375.

Farnworth, who was sworn in Tuesday as part of B.C.'s new NDP government, said he, Forests Minister Doug Donaldson, and Parliamentary Secretary for Emergency Preparedness Jennifer Rice, will meet with federal ministers on the weekend.

The Canadian Armed Forces has already sent a number helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft to the province.

Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 20:51:33 »
So, I guess the job of doing traffic control means that the engineers have probably not brought either Badgers or Rams?

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 15:07:59 »
So, I guess the job of doing traffic control means that the engineers have probably not brought either Badgers or Rams?

From the pictures I've seen 1 CER is driving their E-LAV's which are capable of some Combat Engineer tasks, but that is not what RCMP E Division has requested, they simply need help with security tasks.  Now all the deploying pers are level 3 firefighter trained, so if needed they could help with cleaning up after a major fire has passed or been put out.

Jon