Author Topic: The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0  (Read 64726 times)

Remius, kkwd (+ 1 Hidden) and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0
« on: April 28, 2018, 15:51:41 »

Gerald Stanley to pay $3,900 and receive 10-year ban on gun ownership for improper firearm storage

Gerald Stanley pleaded guilty to improperly storing firearms.

Gerald Stanley has been fined $3,000, plus a $900 victim surcharge, and banned from owning firearms for 10 years after he pleaded guilty Monday to improper storage of firearms.

The seven guns alleged to be stored improperly by Stanley, as listed in the court file, are a J. Stevens Arms Company 520 rifle; a .22-calibre semi-automatic rifle; a.22-calibre bolt-action rifle; a Winchester 1200 shotgun; a Lakefield Mark 2 .22-calibre rifle; and a Winchester 1894 rifle. 

A previous charge relating to a Ruger Blackhawk .45-calibre handgun was dropped.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4621381

$3900 and a 10 year firearms ban for improper storage.

Its unfortunate that the other firearm owner in this story who was Illegally in possession of a firearm that was not only improperly stored but loaded in a moving vehicle and present during the commission of robberies isn't facing any sort of punishment.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
Re: The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:54 »

Its unfortunate that the other firearm owner in this story who was Illegally in possession of a firearm that was not only improperly stored but loaded in a moving vehicle and present during the commission of robberies isn't facing any sort of punishment.

I've searched online and haven't found anything in any news articles stating such.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 10:07:49 »
So, found this little gem last night about the government considering banning lead ammunition (along with fishing weights and such).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ammunition-lead-gun-owners-1.4636598

The numbers they spout are way off and they've had to estimate pretty much all of it since most clubs didn't want to play ball. I would be interested in seeing those original studies in full though.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/management-toxic-substances/list-canadian-environmental-protection-act/lead/using-more-lead-free-ammunition/lead-ammunition-executive-summary.html

Thoughts from the masses? Seems especially sucky for those who make their own ammo.

Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:45:38 »
So, found this little gem last night about the government considering banning lead ammunition (along with fishing weights and such).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ammunition-lead-gun-owners-1.4636598

The numbers they spout are way off and they've had to estimate pretty much all of it since most clubs didn't want to play ball. I would be interested in seeing those original studies in full though.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/management-toxic-substances/list-canadian-environmental-protection-act/lead/using-more-lead-free-ammunition/lead-ammunition-executive-summary.html

Thoughts from the masses? Seems especially sucky for those who make their own ammo.

The quantity of lead that enters the environment from shooting in a non-range setting in Canada is not significant, given the size of the country.

This is just an attack on legal gun owners, by misusing environmental regulations.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:04:29 »
The quantity of lead that enters the environment from shooting in a non-range setting in Canada is not significant, given the size of the country.

This is just an attack on legal gun owners, by misusing environmental regulations.

It seems a favourite of this government. Everytime there is something they don't like, (pipelines) they slap enviromental clauses all over it. Next they'll ban FMJ steel core bullets as "cop killer" bullets. Death by a thousand cuts.

Yet they allow places like Montreal and Vancouver to dump billions of gallons of raw sewage, baby wipes and condoms into our waters. Can't shoot, can't fish, can't drive. Eliminate CO2 and carbon footprint? We won't be able to breathe when all the vegatation dies.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 11:06:44 »
I've searched online and haven't found anything in any news articles stating such.

What do you mean?

One of the occupants of the car that was going around stealing admitted that the loaded 22 caliber rifle that police found in the vehicle was his. Even if he actually had a firearms licence and the gun wasn't stolen (assumptions on my part) it's still illegal to drive around with a loaded gun.  And especially have it ne present when robbing people I'd guess.

To date police haven't charged him.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 11:09:14 »
What do you mean?

One of the occupants of the car that was going around stealing admitted that the loaded 22 caliber rifle that police found in the vehicle was his. Even if he actually had a firearms licence and the gun wasn't stolen (assumptions on my part) it's still illegal to drive around with a loaded gun.  And especially have it ne present when robbing people I'd guess.

To date police haven't charged him.

I mean news either way - nothing saying they wouldn't charge him and nothing saying they were charging him. That's all.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 11:41:02 »
Ah right, gotcha.
I think it's safe to assume at this point he won't be charged.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 15:43:49 »

Yup.

Solid lead is rarely ingested by fish, birds, or animals.

Leaded fuel, leaded paint, and public water systems are prime sources of lead in the environment.

http://teachersinstitute.yale.edu/curriculum/units/1997/7/97.07.05.x.html

http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Pages/LeadSources.aspx

http://www.lead.org.au/fs/fst2.html

https://www.webmd.com/children/lead#1

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:49:13 »

Offline suffolkowner

• Rate Post

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 19:22:14 »
Police should make decisions about guns because they're the experts.

Police have no business making decisions about drugs because they're not the experts.
 :nod:

The rifle jammed on the first shot, and Bissonnette then used a handgun, but the letter asks how much worse the carnage could have been had Bissonnette’s rifle worked.

Good thing he didn't have a pump action shotgun. Mine hasn't jammed once in 25 years of use.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 20:46:27 »
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/08/police-should-decide-limits-on-guns-not-politicians-trudeau-says/

guess which way the wind is blowing

I cannot think of another area of law where Liberal politicians would even dream of deferring to police...

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 11:41:00 »
Ralph suggesting that if he see a assault weapon ban, he will review it, trial balloon enough?

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 15:14:27 »

Offline Jed

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 15:36:19 »
How is the petition against C-71 going?  I know this is most likely a pointless exercise as the Liberals have already decided to push an agenda against law abiding citizens to further the eventual process of taking away firearms from all Canadians. (Unless it is a compliant Police Force that can be bent to the will of the Government of the Day).

Future Police State anyone? In about the year 2025?
As the old man used to say: " I used to be a coyote, but I'm alright nooooOOOOWWW!"

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 15:43:40 »
.....and you wonder why he just appointed a new RCMP Commissioner. Well below seniority from what I read. I think she's beholden to Trudeau and will do whatever he wants. We'll see what falls out.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 19:08:01 »

Goodale
Ralph suggesting that if he see a assault weapon ban, he will review it, trial balloon enough?

It's so blatant. Goodale talking about an assault weapon ban after a whopping 75 people signed their name. Fun y there's  no mention of the over 100'000+ people who signed a petition against C71.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 20:33:36 »
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/bill-c71-projet-de-loi/index-eng.htm

Is it me or does it seem like the bill is already passed?

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 21:36:18 »
https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/08/police-should-decide-limits-on-guns-not-politicians-trudeau-says/

guess which way the wind is blowing

Passing the buck. If the Horseman start banning firearms and upsetting gun owners, the PM can say, "Out of my hands, its the RCMP making the decision."
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 11:33:10 »
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/bill-c71-projet-de-loi/index-eng.htm

Is it me or does it seem like the bill is already passed?

the fact the RCMP chose to put these words in bold suggests something else is going to happen between now and 2021: "The Order will provide protection from criminal prosecution for illegal possession of these firearms until February 28, 2021, while the Government implements measures to address continued possession and use.

Living the lean life

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 16:06:24 »
Gun owners are already distrustful of the RCMP, their hate for private gun ownership, their overbearing and overblown actions, their illegal activity, smash and grabs, invasion of property and confiscation without warrants.

An absolutely horrendous appreciation by civilians towards the RCMP is about to become even worse. All vestiges of trust in the law and the RCMP is evaporating at a huge rate.

Your about to see comparisons between the RCMP and the gestapo or stazi. And we all know what the population's feeling of them were.

Federal police replacing our legislative body is an abhorent thought to a democratic society. This is more akin to a dictatorship or a communist triumvirate.

And their first step? Steamroll legal, law abiding citizens, make them criminals due to administrative errors and ommissions, invade their medical history, search without warrants, seizure of personal property with no compensation, disregard orders of the government and intentionally kept unauthorized copies of the gun registry after being ordered by the government to destroy it, then using the same to harass law abiding citizens. I shouldn't call it a first step, they've done all this already.

I hope they realize that their iconic stature throughout the world is going to take a massive hit that Walt Disney won't even know how to spin. Bullies and secret police are the future for them. The internet is a wonderful thing and the world will know within minutes when they start operating by their own rules rather than those expected of them.

Meanwhile, not one single thing is being done about the criminals or illegal guns. That takes real work to make a case and catch the bad guy. Easier to target tax paying, legal people sitting home reading the paper that have done nothing wrong except to have a legal hobby and interest in using their property.

They may be giggling and rubbing their palms together now, but they are not looking at the long game and the damage they are about to inflict on themselves.

Not one single good thing will result in letting the RCMP make their own laws, and no democracy should allow it. But we don't have a democracy anymore, do we. :whistle:

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 17:29:57 »
One has to understand the root cause:

“I came to Ottawa . . . with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers.” –Liberal minister of justice, Allan Rock, 1994.

“Canada will be one of the first unarmed countries in the world.” –Liberal foreign affairs minister Lloyd Axworthy, 1998.

“Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda.” — Liberal foreign affairs minister Lloyd Axworthy at a gun control conference, Oslo, Norway, 1998

C-71 is just more unfinished work.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 07:40:59 »
Gun Control Explained by Rowan Atkinson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKThyMmi7I

Offline Shrek1985

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 11:43:31 »
What am I doing all this for again?