Author Topic: Media Bias [Merged]  (Read 538176 times)

Jed and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
Re: Media Bias [Merged]
« Reply #1325 on: August 23, 2017, 11:29:45 »
The Rebel is nothing but a tabloid, and I don't mean in the printing format.

They may very well get a few good pieces out every once in awhile.  But by and large, their staff are mostly inexperienced wannabe journalists who would rather post a story with the intent of stirring the pot than to do the tiniest bit of fact checking or even asking if the other side has something to say.

I'm speaking from experience.

It's a shame, because there have been a few really hard working individuals that are willing to do the hard work to get into the nitty gritty that no one wants to talk about, but their work is overshadowed by Team Instant Gratification.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #1326 on: August 23, 2017, 11:56:22 »
Team Post What Drums Up Max Donations.

Jesse Brown did a pretty good show this week on Ezra and The Rebel. it's worth a listen.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #1327 on: August 23, 2017, 12:03:06 »
Jesse Brown did a pretty good show this week on Ezra and The Rebel.
Good to meet another Canadaland fan!  I don't always agree with everything there, but it's a cool "other voice".
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #1328 on: August 23, 2017, 12:25:48 »
Yup, big fan. In the same boat as you re: not always agreeing, but I agree more than I don't.

And the fact that he makes things very uncomfortable for Ezra is pretty rad in my books.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #1329 on: September 10, 2017, 01:21:41 »
Interesting development, Rebel media is pre emptively seeking ways to eliminate their dependence of platforms like YouTube. Being deplatformed, having your platform demonetized (i.e. they play ads on your videos but you receive no revenue), preventing linking or playing on other sites is already a way of life for many conservatives and conservative channels on YouTube, so this seems entirely warranted:

The launch of The Rebel Media mobile app is only a few weeks away. Please help us crowd fund the final components of this long-awaited mobile app (and take us all one step closer to being free from Silicon Valley censors) by donating at TheyCantStopUs.com. Thank you!

Considering how Sun TV was deplatformed by tilting the playing field against it (every news channel was included in basic cable packages except Sun TV, and the CRTC would not relent either place Sun on basic cable, or force other news channels to be put on specialty packages), Ezra has reason to be concerned.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #1330 on: Today at 11:25:58 »
Looks like the battle lines are being drawn early:

TAGHVA: Union representing Canadian journalists declares itself the resistance to Andrew Scheer

Can the mainstream media be trusted when the union representing them actively declares its opposition to a party not even in power?
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1331 on: Today at 11:49:36 »
TAGHVA: Union representing Canadian journalists declares itself the resistance to Andrew Scheer
Just when you think that politics can't get any more stupid,  Dunning-Kruger collectively say, "oh ya? Watch this…"
      :facepalm:
+300

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1332 on: Today at 16:13:33 »
Looks like the battle lines are being drawn early:

Can the mainstream media be trusted when the union representing them actively declares its opposition to a party not even in power?

Context?  It is always helpful to drill down to some basic numbers to see if this is worth more than a yawn.

from the linked article
. . . the post opens up a serious can of worms as Unifor represents over 13,000 Canadian journalists.

For years many have argued that Canada’s mainstream press maintain a centre-left bias, this post only goes to further that sentiment in a dangerous way.

From Unifor's site
Unifor is Canada’s largest private sector union, with more than 315,000 members across the country, working in every major sector of the Canadian economy.

So a little over 4% of the union membership is driving the agenda or is it that the union leadership is mandating the work output of those "13,000 journalists"?  But the one journalist that the article's writer quoted did not appear to be a union parrot, and even though he is a member of that profession employed by the mainstream media (sorta, it is Global after all), he is well respected (even on these means where he has occasionally participated) for his independence of thought.  Surely, he can't be the only one.

And are all those 13,000 union members actually "journalists" (you know, guys and gals who write the news or opinion pieces that fill the spaces between advertisements) or does it include a large number of the minions who do many of the other administrative and technical jobs that are required in a news organization.  I wasn't able to find the number of individuals who identified themselves as journalists in the last census (I am not happy with the "new look and feel" of the StatsCan pages) but in one dated article (from 2013) the writer quoted a figure of just over 13,000.  Are all journalists in Canada represented by this one union?  Unlikely, since the majority of those at the bête noire of leftist Canadian MSM, the CBC, are represented by a competing union.

So,  :boring:
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1333 on: Today at 17:23:25 »
Hmmm. Well, you will likely see paid internships for online “journalism”, for outlets such as Rabble, Vice and the CCPA. The payor is Unifor or OPSEU, but the employer is the respective journalistic entity. I will grab some pics tomorrow from the student job board. But on the whole, when has the media not played the role of official opposition?

“Our Republic and its press will rise or fall together. An able, disinterested, public-spirited press, with trained intelligence to know the right and courage to do it, can preserve that public virtue without which popular government is a sham and a mockery. A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself. The power to mould the future of the Republic will be in the hands of the journalists of future generations.” Joseph Pulitzer. This was a man with no time for fools or conspiracy theories. The quote is on the wall at the entrance to the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, an institution which for many years, and probably even more so today, has no genuine or worthy Canadian peer.

How far the media has wandered off from   “Able, disinterested, public spirited press, with trained intelligence to know the right and courage to do it..”  is anybody’s guess. And what would be the categories of metrics when truth is disposable or inconvenient. Did Pulitzer capture those metrics, because if he did, then the level of “resistance” surely is not one of them.