Author Topic: VAC Education and Training Benefit (ETB) [Merged]  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Mediman14

• Rate Post
VAC Education and Training Benefit (ETB) [Merged]
« on: June 08, 2018, 16:37:06 »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the educational benefit introduced by vac. If a Mbr qualifies for the $80,000 amount. Is that only used for 1 end state? Let's say I choose to attend Dalhousie University for a degree in science, which costs approx. $30,000, I graduate. Now I want to further my education to increase my lively hood. I then apply to Medical school or basket weaving which costs another $40,000. Can I only use the 80 grand to pay for both or just one?

Offline kratz

Spring is still hiding under the covers.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: VAC Education and Training Benefit (ETB) [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 16:53:14 »
Searching the VAC E&TB Q&A offers this answer:

Q26. I am eligible for $80,000 and my course is two years. I am only able to access $40,000. Why can't I receive the full Education and Training Benefit amount?

The ETB was designed to provide financial support while you pursue post-secondary education up to a maximum of $20,000 per academic year. If you complete your education and there is funding remaining, you may be able to pursue additional courses or training.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 18:44:44 »
You can keep drawing on it for other subsequent education until your amount is gone.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline rskelhorn

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 13:58:12 »
Hi all -

I applied for the education and training benefit through VAC which requires 6 years of paid service to apply.

VAC recently denied my claim and said I fell short with 2151 paid days instead of the required 2191 representing 40 days short.

In the letter, it was stated that the information came from the DND Pension Service Centre.  When I called the DND Pension Service Centre, I was told that they had no record of my reserve time, because it wasn't pensionable.  I had approximately two years in the reserve before going Reg force for approximately six years.

I'm not sure how to obtain records to give to VAC for my reserve time.  This whole system is very  hard to navigate, given most of my information would be held up in archives somewhere.  My service time in the reserves was 2000-2002 qualified QL3 infantryman, then 2002-2008 as an AVS Tech.

Any suggestions?
Kind regards

Offline Simian Turner

is a veteran who enjoys oddities!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 16:12:48 »
First option, you could do an Access to Information Request, (this can be done online, see link 3 below).

You should find a Record of Qualifying Service CF 2440 on your Personnel file - you could request an entire copy or just the form -
Personnel Files are stored Bank Number: PSE 901

Here are some links- http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/transparency-access-info-privacy/index.page
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/transparency-access-info-privacy/index.page
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/transparency-access-info-privacy/request-forms.page

A second option would be to check your records of employment available through your 'My Service Canada Account' - https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-roe.html.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 16:17:06 by Simian Turner »
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:11:07 »
I find it odd that VAC is only looking at pension as a means for someone's total service. Since reserve pension hasn't been around all that long they should know this or that some people did not buy back.

Guess it's just another way to Delay and Deny.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 14:02:41 »
Not sure when I'll get a reply, but I just submitted the following access to information request:

"Part 1.1 of the Veterans Well Being Act established the Education and Training Benefit. Veterans who wish to become police or other peace officers may have to complete training at one of the various police academies in Canada, and may or may not be employed, paid, or receive allowances during said time. I want to know if VAC has approved payments under the Education and Training Benefit for the purposes of eligible veterans to attend any of the following:
- The RCMP training academy 'Depot' in Regina, Saskatchewan, to become a regular member of the RCMP.
- Any training program run by the Canada Border Services Agency for the purposes of becoming a Border Services Officer
- Any training program run by Correctional Services Canada for the purpose of initial training and qualification as a Correctional Officer
- Training at the Ontario Police College to become a police officer in Ontario
- Training at the Atlantic Police Academy / Holland College for the Police Science (Cadet) program
- Training at the Justice Institute of British Columbia Police Academy for the purpose of becoming a police officer in British Columbia
- Training at the Ecole Nationale de Police du Quebec for the purpose of becoming a police officer in Quebec
- Any other training program in Canada, that is not a college diploma or university degree, that qualifies an individual to be hired and to serve as a sworn police or peace officer in any Canadian jurisdiction."

When I hear back I'll post, though I'm sure it'll be quite a while. I know this has been of interest to several people.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 13:09:56 »
That was fast, I just got the ATIP results. Bottom line up front, VAC's ETB will help pay for police training programs that have tuition fees paid by the student.

VAC has approved 20 ETBs for police training. 16 were for the Ontario Police College. That leaves four more, and they redacted the counts for Justice Institute of British Columbia, Halifax Regional Police Training School, and the Ecole Nationale de Police de Quebec. I know VAC redacts when counts are very low so as to not potentially compromise individual privacy and make people identifiable. I can infer from that that between JIBC, Halifax, and Quebec, four more ETBs were approved since the result was definitely not 0. They have not approved any for RCMP, CBSA, Corrections, or the Atlantic Police Academy.

A quick bit of follow up digging confirmed that every approved program has tuition fees. They didn't approve any for Atlantic, but they do have fees so it's probably just that nobody applied. RCMP, CBSA and Corrections have no fees, and so they probably won't pay ETB notwithstanding that the recruit probably still has considerable costs of living to cover.

So, there we go. Nice to see this applied to a professional training program that isn't a conventional university or college degree/diploma.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 14:23:52 »
Thanks Brihard great info.