Author Topic: US vs Canada  (Read 11596 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: US vs Canada
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 12:13:56 »
Word on the street is the USA is looking at lessening some of the restrictions on importing various restricted firearm parts and items to Canada.

That seems nationally important.

Whew... thank GAWD we've all done our CTAT certification  ::)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loch Sloy!

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 16:52:47 »
I understand that, T6. I am just trying to figure out Jarnhamar's facts.

For instance, he says "word on the street is the US is looking..." Is the "street" he is talking about the street in the US or in Canada? As drafted, it could be either. Then the inversion in the meaning of "importing' and "to". You can "import from" or "export to", so it's a mixed meaning. So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.

And obviously, if the USA want's to lessen the restrictions on exporting restricted arms to Canada, it would not do much unless Canada relaxes it's own rules regarding imports into Canada of said arms.

The restrictions are virtually all on the USA side. A Canadian PAL holder can import pretty much any legal firearm or firearm part per Canadian law with no specific import license. It is the USA export restriction which have impeded the flow of goods from USA to Canada since shortly after 9/11.

If the USA relaxes ITAR yet further (there was already a slight ease a few years back) it would go a long way to making things easier on Canadian sport shooters and hunters.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.
--Ben Franklin

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 19:09:07 »
Quote from: Oldgateboatdriver
So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.

It's going to be easier for Canadian gun owners to get their hands on firearm parts from the USA.

https://gov-relations.com/itar/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations
https://digitalguardian.com/blog/what-itar-compliance

'Word on the street' means a rumor currently being discussed. It's an expression.
It isn't an actual street in Canada OR the USA  ;)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 19:12:23 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 20:13:34 »
I understand that, T6. I am just trying to figure out Jarnhamar's facts.

For instance, he says "word on the street is the US is looking..." Is the "street" he is talking about the street in the US or in Canada? As drafted, it could be either. Then the inversion in the meaning of "importing' and "to". You can "import from" or "export to", so it's a mixed meaning. So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.

And obviously, if the USA want's to lessen the restrictions on exporting restricted arms to Canada, it would not do much unless Canada relaxes it's own rules regarding imports into Canada of said arms.
It is currently, under US law, illegal to take certain firearms parts and ammo from the States. Let's use AR-15 barrels or even just ammo. Illegal to remove from the States without proper authorization and paperwork.

So, I cannot export barrels and ammo from the States*. However, next door at CBSA, I can import 5000 rounds of non prohibited ammo for personal use without an import permit.

Stay with me a bit longer. Ammo is administered under the Explosives Act, not the firearms act (a little ufi).

Almost any firearm part, with exception of prohibited items (suppressors), auto firearm parts (uzi bolt) or pistol barrels under 10.5 cm, can be imported into Canada without permits. A complete AR-15 minus the lower stripped receiver won't get you a second glance. Duty yes, illegal to import, no.

Getting them out of the States is the problem. Right now, the US is very strict about what leaves the country. You get caught in an exit check by US border enforcement, with that same AR-15 basket case, you are going to jail. You are losing whatever you're carrying and what is carrying you. When you get out, it's likely the last time you'll be in the states.

They started letting stuff through, without permits, if total value is less than, I think, $100 done by mail order from a FFL holder (Wilson Combat, Cabelas). Optics same thing. Canada Customs doesn't care if you import them, but the US certainly does care about you exporting them though.

Clear as mud? ;D

* - most anything can be exported if the paperwork and fees are in order. We're talking about going into Cabelas, in Ohio, buying milspec AR-15 furniture and taking it from the States and bringing it into Canada.

The first is illegal, the second is not.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 20:23:34 by recceguy »
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 21:47:32 »
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4276199/americans-justin-trudeau-trade-spat-donald-trump-poll/amp/

Most Canadians and Americans approve of how Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the situation on tariffs, trade and U.S. President Donald Trump.

That’s according to two Ipsos polls, for Global News and Reuters.

The poll shows that Canadians are firmly on Trudeau’s side — with about three-quarters of respondents (72 per cent) saying they approve of how he’s handling the situation. Only 14 per cent of Canadian respondents said the same about Trump.

As for Americans, 57 per cent of respondents approved of how Canada is handling the dispute — while only 37 per cent said they approved of how Trump was doing.
Donald Trump may be the best thing to ever happen to Trudeau.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2018, 23:15:38 »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline mrmostlikely

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 01:22:04 »

I was just saying the same thing to a colleague today. I have noticed that several people have changed their perspective and views on Mr. Trudeau recently.

How long that lasts remains to be seen though.
"I don't care about your colour or your creed, I will judge you for no reason but your deeds." - Tim Minchin

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 01:42:29 »
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4276199/americans-justin-trudeau-trade-spat-donald-trump-poll/amp/

That is what I am afraid of. The Liberal Party will,wrap themselves in the flag and do some really stupid crap, because suddenly, being critical of the government will = supporting Trump.

It is possible to be critical of how this government has handled both foreign policy and trade relations with the US without also being a Trump supporter.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 02:16:08 »

That is what I am afraid of. The Liberal Party will,wrap themselves in the flag and do some really stupid crap, because suddenly, being critical of the government will = supporting Trump.

It is possible to be critical of how this government has handled both foreign policy and trade relations with the US without also being a Trump supporter.
Sure,  but one must admit,  Trump is a perfect foil.

His dramatic undiplomatic over reaction and flying off the handle mixed with targeting canada and others as trade cheats is making trudeau into a reasonable captain canada in comparison.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2018, 06:48:03 »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 07:06:16 »

A wicked distraction for the Liberals. They must be pretty happy right now.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 08:08:54 »
Conversely, karma may be rubbing its hands together;  given the track record of those affiliated with Trump, having him as BFF and trusted ally may be the worst thing that happens to Kim. :pop:

But for Canada, what if this stupidity really  escalates..... and they send back Justin Bieber!   :'(

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2018, 10:24:02 »
Conversely, karma may be rubbing its hands together;  given the track record of those affiliated with Trump, having him as BFF and trusted ally may be the worst thing that happens to Kim. :pop:

But for Canada, what if this stupidity really  escalates..... and they send back Justin Bieber!   :'(

Or nickelback?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 10:44:35 »
Or nickelback?
That's harsh man.... just harsh.   :not-again:

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2018, 10:52:53 »
That's harsh man.... just harsh.   :not-again:

I don't see that the normal limits of decency apply to this Presidency...

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2018, 12:30:36 »
I don't see that the normal limits of decency apply to this Presidency...
they better send back Sidney Crosby as well.

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 12:34:00 »
Longer term predictions:

Trudeau and the Liberals campaign against Donald Trump in 2019, and use a declining Canadian economy to paint the picture. Liberals are reelected.

2020, Donald Trump is elected to a second term in office, continuing to pursue his "America First" agenda.

2024, Donald Trump leaves office. Canada holds federal election. With our economy tanked, and no apparent end in site, the Liberals lose.

2028. Donald Trump is a unique phenomena, so the new Administration begins to roll back some of the Trump agenda, being careful to preserve the legislation that keeps America's economic engine running (I'm thinking af a transition similar to passing the baton from Ronald Reagan to George H.W. Bush). The unwinding over the first term of the Administration does not substantively relax trade restrictions on Canada or the rest of the world. Canada's new government struggles with the long term effects of a prolonged downturn, but has little leverage with the new Administration to change things quickly.

Broad brush outline, but I think it is close to what we will see over the next decade. The Liberals trying to insert gender equality and so on in NAFTA negotiations suggests they were unserious about the entire process (or had very poor briefing notes about America's aims and goals), and their reactions are about as effective as arguing about what colour hat to wear as a freight train is bearing down on you.
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 00:40:05 »
Longer term predictions:

Trudeau and the Liberals campaign against Donald Trump in 2019, and use a declining Canadian economy to paint the picture. Liberals are reelected.

2020, Donald Trump is elected to a second term in office, continuing to pursue his "America First" agenda.

2024, Donald Trump leaves office. Canada holds federal election. With our economy tanked, and no apparent end in site, the Liberals lose.

2028. Donald Trump is a unique phenomena, so the new Administration begins to roll back some of the Trump agenda, being careful to preserve the legislation that keeps America's economic engine running (I'm thinking af a transition similar to passing the baton from Ronald Reagan to George H.W. Bush). The unwinding over the first term of the Administration does not substantively relax trade restrictions on Canada or the rest of the world. Canada's new government struggles with the long term effects of a prolonged downturn, but has little leverage with the new Administration to change things quickly.

Broad brush outline, but I think it is close to what we will see over the next decade. The Liberals trying to insert gender equality and so on in NAFTA negotiations suggests they were unserious about the entire process (or had very poor briefing notes about America's aims and goals), and their reactions are about as effective as arguing about what colour hat to wear as a freight train is bearing down on you.

Or Canada finally grows a pair, emerges from the skirts of Uncle Sam, and stands on its own two legs for a change? :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:50 »
Respectfully, I don't think Donald Trump will be re-elected.  And while I may sound somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the 'deep state' will allow him to be re-elected, nevermind the people.

Since day 1 he has been an unpredictable nightmare.  He's been under investigation by the FBI almost since his inauguration, compulsively lies about things that are quite easy to prove & refute, has gone through more senior staff than Denny's goes through servers, has insulted America's closest allies in very unprofessional & unstately manners, now has toddlers & little kids being detained in institutional settings, families being torn apart at the border, and has single-handedly managed to piss off every major trading partner the US has - including countries such as Canada, Japan, China, the EU, etc.

And that doesn't even include the story most Americans get from their overly sensationalized & fear-mongering media conglomerates.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but honestly the American's didn't have a good choice in this election.  Berney Sanders or Ron Paul types aren't allowed to stay in - and you end up with a choice between Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump.  Lose/Lose.   But I don't think Trump will be re-elected.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:42 »
Respectfully, I don't think Donald Trump will be re-elected.  And while I may sound somewhat of a conspiracy theorist, I don't think the 'deep state' will allow him to be re-elected, nevermind the people.

Since day 1 he has been an unpredictable nightmare.  He's been under investigation by the FBI almost since his inauguration, compulsively lies about things that are quite easy to prove & refute, has gone through more senior staff than Denny's goes through servers, has insulted America's closest allies in very unprofessional & unstately manners, now has toddlers & little kids being detained in institutional settings, families being torn apart at the border, and has single-handedly managed to piss off every major trading partner the US has - including countries such as Canada, Japan, China, the EU, etc.

And that doesn't even include the story most Americans get from their overly sensationalized & fear-mongering media conglomerates.

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but honestly the American's didn't have a good choice in this election.  Berney Sanders or Ron Paul types aren't allowed to stay in - and you end up with a choice between Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump.  Lose/Lose.   But I don't think Trump will be re-elected.
The Democrats pick a moderate, charismatic candidate who isn't the second most hated politician in America and I think they can win it. The way I look at it is Hillary almost won it and she was one of the most flawed individuals to run for President, and that was before Trump had pissed off almost every group that isn't his rock solid base.

War vets
Blacks
Latinos
Gays and Lesbians
Transgender
The poor
Environmentalists
The intelligence and law enforcement agencies
Free traders

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Regardless, I'm looking forward to November when it seems like the Republicans will have to face a blue wave.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:09 »
I look forward to the rending of garments, tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth and all that other snowflake stuff, when he wins again. ;D

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 10:13:08 »
I was just saying the same thing to a colleague today. I have noticed that several people have changed their perspective and views on Mr. Trudeau recently.

How long that lasts remains to be seen though.

People changing their minds about Trudeau simply because he tried to stand against Trump? That's exactly the thinking that got him elected the first time. It may affect the view of a person, but to base their entire support for this guy on a blown out, half story by the Canadian MSN. Sorry, but I need a lot more than 'We won't be pushed around" to change my thoughts on our current government and leaders.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 10:16:29 »
People changing their minds about Trudeau simply because he tried to stand against Trump? That's exactly the thinking that got him elected the first time. It may affect the view of a person, but to base their entire support for this guy on a blown out, half story by the Canadian MSN. Sorry, but I need a lot more than 'We won't be pushed around" to change my thoughts on our current government and leaders.

I look forward to the rending of garments, tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth and all that other snowflake stuff, when he wins again. ;D

;D ;D ;D
Optio

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2018, 10:35:14 »
What is Scheers position on legal weed?

His party voted against it, would he try to limit it or repeal it?

If so, the conservatives are dead in the water. No way Canadians vote for a party taking away their legal bud.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -1500.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:55 »
What is Scheers position on legal weed?

His party voted against it, would he try to limit it or repeal it?

If so, the conservatives are dead in the water. No way Canadians vote for a party taking away their legal bud.

They'll do what they think is best. Once that genie is out of the bottle, it can't be put back in. We know what happens to prohibition of a legal product, against the wishes of the majority. Accept it, tweak it and move on.