Author Topic: Help with markings on a powderhorn  (Read 577 times)

Offline SquidBait

• Rate Post
Help with markings on a powderhorn
« on: August 15, 2018, 16:56:07 »
Hello all,

I've recently come into possession of a bit of my families history.  I'm hoping someone on here can shed some light on it.  It's a large muzzle loader and powder horn labeled John D. Brown AP 8th 1856.  John D. Brown is my great great grandfather.  I'm assuming 1856 was either the year he purchased or was issued/presented with it.  What I can't figure out is what AP 8th means.  Does this mean anything to anyone.  The family would have been around Newfoundland, at that time, for what it's worth.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Help with markings on a powderhorn
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 17:12:09 »
. . .  I'm assuming 1856 was either the year he purchased or was issued/presented with it.  What I can't figure out is what AP 8th means.  Does this mean anything to anyone. . . .

April?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline SquidBait

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 17:21:03 »
Ha!  That makes some sense.  I've never seen April abbreviated with just AP.  I just assumed it was a military unit.

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 20:58:29 »
Are there markings on the gun? It might be identified to a sealing ship like the example below although the ship's name is not readable on this one.

https://joesalter.ca/products/identified-nfld-sealing-birding-gun-w-powder-horn

PS: I love a good flipper pie.
Yes, yes I am. Whatever you think of me is in fact correct.

Offline SquidBait

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 13:23:51 »
That is almost exactly what I have, but in better condition.  I now know a bit more about its intended use.  Thanks.  Mine has no ship markings though, so I would guess it was privately owned.