Author Topic: Allergies in the CF  (Read 259267 times)

Offline uiop

• Rate Post
Prescription medication
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2016, 14:25:20 »
Hi guys! I was wondering if I would be allowed into infantry if I have to take 10mg singulair medication for my allergies every night. If I don't take it it doesn't really affect me, but it irritates me and is annoying since I will get a slightly congested nose and a bit of a runny nose. Thanks!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Prescription medication
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2016, 14:30:19 »
I was wondering if I would be allowed into infantry if I have to take 10mg singulair medication for my allergies every night.

You may find this discussion of interest,

Allergies in the CF 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12898.250
11 pages.

See also,

Prescription Medication
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+allergic&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yD4NV8r7FsaC8QffgJSwDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca++medication

Prescriptions during BMQ
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=98313.0

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 14:44:46 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline uiop

• Rate Post
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2016, 16:54:36 »
Thanks. I found out a bit more, but I still couldn't find it it would be a disqualification from infantry.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2016, 17:00:21 »
Thanks.

You are welcome.

You may also find this of interest,

Canadian Armed Forces Medical Standards
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/index.page

I found out a bit more, but I still couldn't find it it would be a disqualification from infantry.

"Only a medical officer reviewing your application can give you a definitive answer."

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 17:03:20 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline RMCA

• Rate Post
Allergies
« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2016, 14:58:19 »
Hello, my names Robert and I'm new to these forums.

So I applied for the reserve and I've done the enterview and all the tests. The only one I had a problem with was the medical. I told the medic I was allergic to sea food (shrimp, lobster and crabs), but I'm not anaphylactic, I only get nauseated and it goes away after 10-15 minutes.

The medic asked me to take a test for allergies to see if I really was and it came out positive. I had a paper to fill in, but the doctor said that if he filled it up I'd get rejected since he said I needed an epipen with me... I do understand it could be "dangerous" for me to be allergic, but I can't see how a shrimp could end up in my mouth. I think that, compared to people allergic to bees or nuts, it's basically harmless. I'm 26 and I haven't eaten sea food for over 20 years. I don't see how I could screw up in the army.

So please help. I seriously want to be in the army; reserve. I believe it'd be a wonderful experience and will help me grow further.

Robert

Offline William46

• Rate Post
Allergy Desensitization Therapy
« Reply #305 on: May 06, 2016, 22:02:45 »
Hello, I am looking to join the Canadian Forces and currently my peanut allergy renders me medically unfit for service. However, I have been offered a place in an oral desensitization study which is seeking to reduce the severity of a potential allergic reaction. The trial will last for 1-2 years depending on how well I take to the protein and whether or not I am initially given a placebo. They would start me at roughly 6 mg of peanut protein per day and gradually escalate to 300 mg over a six month period, after which I would be taking that dosage for an additional 6 months as maintenance.

The answer I need (preferably from someone with experience in recruitment) is whether or not this would be acceptable to the Canadian Forces, as 300 mg is the same amount of protein found in a single peanut kernel. My understanding from previous contact with a Canadian Forces Medical Officer is that they would require a successful food challenge to remove the disqualification and this study would technically allow me to meet this requirement.

The drug is called AR101 from Airimmune Theraputics, the study is called PALISADE. In addition to this post I will be getting in contact with my local recruiting office but I felt like I should cast the net as wide as possible. I appreciate any assistance I can get. 

Offline Oslowriley

• Rate Post
Re: Allergies in the CF
« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2017, 22:42:32 »
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I had my medical today and when asked about allergies, I told him I used to have bad cat allergies but after doing immunotherapy now I only get hives and itchy eyes. He asked me if I was currently prescribed any medication for it and i said no (which I'm not). But before I did the immunotherapy, I was prescribed ventolin when I stayed over at friends houses with cats. It never came up in conversation. I'm no longer prescribed it but a friend told me I could be considered to have 'held back info'. I'm just wondering if I should contact the medic about this or not worry about it because I don't use it/not prescribed it anymore?

Thanks!

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2017, 23:49:28 »
I haven't eaten sea food for over 20 years. I don't see how I could screw up in the army.
So please help. I seriously want to be in the army; reserve. I believe it'd be a wonderful experience and will help me grow further.

I'm not sure what help you're looking for on here, unfortunately there is no one here that can provide help as the decision for this would ultimately be up the RMO (Medical Officer in Ottawa), but traditionally regardless of which service someone is requesting to join

The answer I need (preferably from someone with experience in recruitment) is whether or not this would be acceptable to the Canadian Forces, as 300 mg is the same amount of protein found in a single peanut kernel. My understanding from previous contact with a Canadian Forces Medical Officer is that they would require a successful food challenge to remove the disqualification and this study would technically allow me to meet this requirement.

Honestly because this is a test trial there is no way of determining how it will affect your suitability; but I imagine it will be much like laser eye surgery for those who didn't meet the eye vision standards - there is a medical process to go through.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I had my medical today and when asked about allergies, I told him I used to have bad cat allergies but after doing immunotherapy now I only get hives and itchy eyes. He asked me if I was currently prescribed any medication for it and i said no (which I'm not). But before I did the immunotherapy, I was prescribed ventolin when I stayed over at friends houses with cats. It never came up in conversation. I'm no longer prescribed it but a friend told me I could be considered to have 'held back info'. I'm just wondering if I should contact the medic about this or not worry about it because I don't use it/not prescribed it anymore?

Based on what you have stated you were 100% honest during the medical, you answered the questions that were asked of you honestly.  Had the person asked if you ever took medication vice are you currently taking medication and you withheld the information I would agree with your friend.  But the question (based on your statement) was "are you currently taking any medication"?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Allergy Desensitization Therapy
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2017, 08:40:55 »
Hello, I am looking to join the Canadian Forces and currently my peanut allergy renders me medically unfit for service. However, I have been offered a place in an oral desensitization study which is seeking to reduce the severity of a potential allergic reaction. The trial will last for 1-2 years depending on how well I take to the protein and whether or not I am initially given a placebo. They would start me at roughly 6 mg of peanut protein per day and gradually escalate to 300 mg over a six month period, after which I would be taking that dosage for an additional 6 months as maintenance.

The drug is called AR101 from Airimmune Theraputics, the study is called PALISADE. In addition to this post I will be getting in contact with my local recruiting office but I felt like I should cast the net as wide as possible. I appreciate any assistance I can get.

You'll need a letter after the trial attesting to your lack of anaphylactic response to the peanuts for when you apply...so you'd have to go through the trial, hope you're in the non-placebo arm and that all went well.  Until you're declared allergy free, your application will likely fall flat at the medical.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline JMei001

• Rate Post
Re: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2017, 18:18:19 »
Pretty basic question, but are occasional sneezing type seasonal allergies (hay fever) an okay thing to have going into my medical? Plenty of people have them, just want opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Re: General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2017, 18:21:38 »
Pretty basic question, but are occasional sneezing type seasonal allergies (hay fever) an okay thing to have going into my medical? Plenty of people have them, just want opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from typing "hay fever" into the search box (with quotes)

Allergies in the CF 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12898.75

The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline HammerHeart

• Rate Post
« Reply #311 on: October 22, 2017, 15:56:05 »
From my understanding, as long as your allergy is not severe enough that it may result in anaphylaxis, you're good to go!

Does anybody know if this holds true?
I had my allergist write me a letter stating I ate cashews/pistachios in front of him with no reaction, along with no evidence of anaphylaxis which would necessitate an epi-pen.
It was also written that I still have a skin reaction of 1+.

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2017, 11:49:19 »
Does anybody know if this holds true?
I had my allergist write me a letter stating I ate cashews/pistachios in front of him with no reaction, along with no evidence of anaphylaxis which would necessitate an epi-pen.
It was also written that I still have a skin reaction of 1+.

Only the RMO in Ottawa can tell you for sure.