Author Topic: Age Limits to Join  (Read 220376 times)

Offline Cyr

• Rate Post
Age Limits - Regular Force
« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2005, 17:21:35 »
Hey   your only as old as you feel. Myself I'm going to be turning 31 in September, and   I'm just in the final stages (selection proccess) waiting to go to the MPAC to be a MP (meat head) LOL...

Offline Phoneman

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #251 on: July 17, 2005, 17:33:02 »
Your still young. I'm 40 and going through the final stages for Armoured Soldier. If I can do it so can you. :salute:

deadlifter

« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2005, 17:48:46 »
thanks everyone for the helpful answers
i'm in excellent shape, in the gym 5 days a week, so the physical aspect wouldn't be a problem
plus i used to work the rigs quite often, so i'm quite used to a lot of verbal abuse........but i'm sure it's nothin compared to the army
here's another quick question
how long does it take aproximately to get into the army (basic training i guess it would be), if i went down there tomorrow and got the ball rolling?

Offline RecDiver

• Skipper
  • Rate Post
« Reply #253 on: July 17, 2005, 17:55:24 »
I am 49 and got sworn in last month... As long as you give your best to the program, age is not an issue. Young or old, we all have something to contribute to the CF and therefore to Canada. Not all of us need to the exact same job, so there is room for all who are commited to success.

All the best...

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #254 on: July 17, 2005, 19:57:51 »
as long as you are able to stand up unaided, see lightning, hear thunder, and are under 86 years of age the CF will employ you.
...time to cull the herd.

Offline Frankie

• Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: July 17, 2005, 20:39:17 »
rememnber instructing a course in Wainwright, a 39 year old recruit was on the following course, he was damn fit
no issues

Offline Dakota

• Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2005, 00:45:29 »
Everyone has made excellent points. It is not your age but your attitude. I am 39.  I don't feel it and I feel I can be a valuable member of the Canadian Forces. I am waiting for my call and can't wait to start this new adventure in my life. You are definitely not too old. Far from it. If you are in good physical condition and ready to make the sacrifice, go for it. I wish I had done it at your age, but I am doing it now and that's what counts.

It is really hard to pin point a time frame. You can get lucky and it may on take approximately 6 months from application to an offer. Others take longer. It all depends on the trade, time of year and if you don't have any delays in the application process. The best thing is to do is go talk to a recruiter or go to the recruiting website. This website is great also. As you can see there are a lot of helpful people on here.

http://www.recruiting.dnd.ca/Default.aspx?bhcp=1

Best of luck.
Duty with Honour.

Offline Lerick

• Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2005, 11:22:45 »
im 29...leaving in august for bmq...age is nothing but a number...

Offline Sivad

• Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2005, 14:11:49 »
Also 29, and getting readdy for BMQ.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2005, 21:15:27 »
thanks everyone for the helpful answers
i'm in excellent shape, in the gym 5 days a week, so the physical aspect wouldn't be a problem
plus i used to work the rigs quite often, so i'm quite used to a lot of verbal abuse........but i'm sure it's nothin compared to the army
here's another quick question
how long does it take aproximately to get into the army (basic training i guess it would be), if i went down there tomorrow and got the ball rolling?

In the neighborhood of 3 months to a year, depending on any number of things that are best explained to you at a recruiting center.

Just a word to the wise though, if you are looking to go overseas and see some action, this is not the army to do it in. Join the US Marine Corps, you will see action. This military does not place an emphasis on fighting wars/conflicts.

Cheers
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline Joe Blow

• I love the edit function!
  • Rate Post
    • Mark Steyn
« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2005, 01:54:22 »
Great discussion.  Although I believe that the mental space exemplified by statements like 'you're as young as you feel' is a great one (I'm in far better shape than I was 10 yrs ago because of that head space.), statistically speaking there is a negative corelation between age and both physical ability and mental plasticity (read situational adaptability).

Personally, ideally, I think that everyone should be judged individually, and I believe Retired CC's comment should be spot on.
attitude and good physical condition have everything to do with it.
Individual ability, ideally, should be the question in the HR process.

However, knowing that the CF has great numbers of applicants to process I am wondering if they rely on age as a filter in the merit listing process.

So, on along the lines of the "am I too old" subject, I have a question:

Does anyone know if your age will affect your merit listing?

[edit] ..I am encouraged by the number of people my age reporting success in the recruiting process. [/edit]

(pls. Tell me if this is best dealt with in a new thread? ..or a specific search ..nothing found. - thx.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 01:57:49 by Joe Blow »
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate - William of Ockham
We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. - Newton
K.I.S.S. - Common Sense People Everywhere

Offline Dakota

• Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2005, 09:28:20 »
Hey Joe Blow: You have brought up an excellent point, which I have wondered also. You are told that your age is not a factor. ( To a certain point, that is) Everyone has to be realistic. You hope that your physical ability, not your age would determine if you are selected. Obviously the selection boards are relying on the Recruiting process to give them qualified individuals, mentally and physically or you would not have made it this far.

Maybe someone or the always reliable Kincanucks, can shed some light on if an older recruit might be selected after a younger recruit.

Cheers.
Duty with Honour.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2005, 12:12:58 »
If you meet the physical and medical fitness standards and the other recruiting requirements then you can be enrolled into the CF.   Age is not a factor unless you will not be able to fulfill your terms of service and is not taken into consideration when selecting suitable applicants for the CF.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Dakota

• Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2005, 14:09:19 »
Thanks again Kincanucks. I knew you would have the answer. For some the older guys out there, me included, bottom line we would not have made it this far if we not qualified. That is one of the great things about the CF, you are not restricted by your age and you are still given the opportunity to apply.

Damn aren't you proud to be a Canadian.

:salute:  :cdn:
Duty with Honour.

Offline Joe Blow

• I love the edit function!
  • Rate Post
    • Mark Steyn
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2005, 15:29:30 »

Thanks for the word Kincanuks.   :)
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate - William of Ockham
We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances. - Newton
K.I.S.S. - Common Sense People Everywhere

Neveltell

« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2005, 00:08:09 »
 I have been seriously thinking about joining but have been told that I am to old and it would be very hard on my body. I am 27 and in okm physical shape, I am working on that right now.

Is this true? Am I to old?

If anything this has just pissed me of and made me want to prove him wrong.

I would appreciate any feed back that anyone can offer

Thank You

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2005, 00:13:26 »
No way that you are too old. Check out the FAQ section as questions about age have been answered before.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline P-Free(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • I AM A RUBBER DUCK. QUACK
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2005, 00:14:40 »
Age is just a state of mind.

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2005, 00:27:52 »
I have been seriously thinking about joining but have been told that I am to old and it would be very hard on my body. I am 27 and in okm physical shape, I am working on that right now.

Thank You

Oh my goodness 27? I don't think you should let your advanced age stop you. Check with your nearest recruiting centre, but I believe the maximum age for eligibility is about 28 yrs older than you are.

Offline swanita

• Rate Post
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2005, 00:28:20 »

Thank You

On my reserve basic, i was 20 & there was a male & a female who were both 30 and did very well. Depends on a number of factors with physical abilities & level of motivation being part of it as well. Only you can determine that!

Offline Missye

• Rate Post
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2005, 00:29:24 »
When my husband joined 3 years ago he was 28! He is in better shape now then he was when he was in his early twenties. You are as old as you feel. If this is something you really want to do don't let a silly thing like age stop you.   :salute:

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #271 on: August 09, 2005, 00:40:05 »
on my res Basic last we had one guy who was 46 and another who was +50. Both passed
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline RangerRay

• Rate Post
  • Kloshe Nanitch
« Reply #272 on: August 09, 2005, 00:49:44 »
Interesting...my experience with older recruits is the opposite of what I'm seeing here.

Guys older than 25 tended to be less motivated by directing staff than the guys who were 18, 19 and 20.

Nothing to do with the physical abilities of the older recruits, but the younger guys seemed to handle the BS factor of QL2/3 alot better than the older guys.

I'm 31 right now, I know I couldn't handle the BS factor like I could when I was 20.  If I was to do my basic now, I'd probably tell the DS to shove it up his arse as soon as he started piling BS on me... ;D
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #273 on: August 09, 2005, 00:50:14 »
There was a guy at bmq who was 48, I am 45, another woman was 32 and another 36. So yeah, living in a barrack with 2 platoons of mostly 18-23 yr olds was a bit of a challenge. I got over it.

You'd think from these posts that 27 was just one step away from retirement. My goodness, I hope you've got your room reserved at the senior's centre, those next 38 years will just fly by! Tell ya what...instead of getting yourself down to the nearest recruiting centre, why not check out the bingo schedule? It's probably a hell of a lot easier and you'll be a virtual spring chicken there :D

Offline NavComm

• Rate Post
« Reply #274 on: August 09, 2005, 00:52:14 »
Interesting...my experience with older recruits is the opposite of what I'm seeing here.

Guys older than 25 tended to be less motivated by directing staff than the guys who were 18, 19 and 20.

Nothing to do with the physical abilities of the older recruits, but the younger guys seemed to handle the BS factor of QL2/3 alot better than the older guys.

I'm 31 right now, I know I couldn't handle the BS factor like I could when I was 20.   If I was to do my basic now, I'd probably tell the DS to shove it up his arse as soon as he started piling BS on me... ;D

I totally disagree with you. I found the younger recruits were a bundle of tears if the instructors picked on them. The older recruits were much more capable of handling the BS....just my 2 cents