Author Topic: Post-ISIS: Bringing Back the Kids (but Not the Parents?)  (Read 1481 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
First, Russia flies home children (and some women) from IRQ after being part of Daesh/ISIS ...
Zalina Gabibulayeva has had five children, four husbands and two jail sentences. All her spouses were Islamist militants who are either dead or in prison, the last two in Syria, where she was among hundreds of women stranded by the war before officials brought her back to Russia.

“I thank God every day that we are here,” Gabibulayeva, 37, said by phone from Grozny, the capital of Russia’s mostly Muslim republic of Chechnya, where she and her children receive about 40,000 rubles ($610) per month in state welfare payments.

While President Vladimir Putin is renowned for his ruthless approach to terrorists — once vowing to “waste them in the outhouse” — Russia has been more willing than many Western nations to help women and children linked with Islamic State fighters to return home from the Middle East. He’s explained the motivation by saying children didn’t choose to go to the conflict zone “and we have no right to leave them there.”

Nearly 100 family members of jihadists in Syria and Iraq were repatriated in late 2017 before Russia’s intelligence service raised security concerns in a country that’s repeatedly been the target of terrorist attacks. Russia’s experience illustrates challenges facing the U.S. and Europe as they decide how to deal with citizens captured in Syria and Iraq who were part of Islamic State ...
More recent lifts have been kids, but no moms if they're being held by IRQ.

Now, Australia appears to be trying this, too ...
Australia’s prime minister says his government is working with international aid workers to repatriate three orphaned Australian children of a convicted terrorist from a Syrian refugee camp.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Australia would only help the children of extremists — not adults — return from the war zones of Syria and Iraq.

Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported the three survivors of former Islamic State group fighter Khaled Sharrouf’s five children contacted their Sydney grandmother Karen Nettleton last month.

The grandmother travelled to a Syrian refugee camp where the grandchildren aged 17, 16 and 8 have been since they fled the Islamic State group ...

Just throwing this up to show how some countries are handling this one.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Post-ISIS: Bringing Back the Kids (but Not the Parents?)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:16 »
What Sweden's doing ...
Local authorities in northeastern Syria on Tuesday handed over seven children belonging to members of the so-called Islamic State to a Swedish delegation.

The transfer was made at the Faysh Khabur border crossing, also known as the “Semalka” crossing, which connects Syria’s northeast with the Kurdistan Region.

The Swedish delegation met with the foreign relations department in northern and eastern Syria to receive seven children of Swedish nationality whose parents were killed in Syria fighting for the Islamic State, local Kurdish media reported.

The delegation was received by the Deputy Head of the Department of Foreign Relations in North and East Syria, Sana Deham, and the Director of the Women’s Body for North and East Syria, Rokan Mullah Ibrahim.

After the children were handed over, an extradition contract was signed. The Swedish delegation then returned to the Kurdistan Region with the children where they are expected to repatriate them to Sweden ...

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 20:36:32 »
France's approach ...
The French government has explicitly refused to bring home jihadists and their wives, but has pledged to bring back their children on a “case-by-case” basis.

“It’s very likely,” Mrs Parly told the French news channel BFMTV and RMC radio.

“We are doing everything within our power to repatriate those who have been identified as orphans.”

Asked why the government was not bringing home all children, not only those who had lost their jihadi parents, she said: “When there are parents, they still have rights over their children. And regarding families being held in camps run by the Syrian Democratic Forces, the Kurds have decided to respect this right.” ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 22:08:06 »
Turkey's latest ....
Iraq has handed over 188 Turkish children of suspected Islamic State (ISIS) members to Turkey after Ankara said it would help the children return home, judicial officials announced Wednesday.

The handover took place at Baghdad airport in the presence of representatives from Iraq’s Foreign Ministry, the Turkish Embassy in Baghdad, and the United Nation children’s fund UNICEF.

An official told Reuters the handover took place on Wednesday.

“The Central Investigations Court responsible for terror cases and foreign convicts handed the Turkish side 188 children the terrorist Daesh left in Iraq,” said Abdulstar Bayrakdar, spokesperson for Iraq’s High Judicial Council, using the Arabic acronym for ISIS ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 20:29:51 »
Let's see how these folks fare ...
A Kurdish official in northern Syria said Wednesday that local authorities there had transferred eight American women and children captured with other Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) suspects back to the U.S.

Abdulkarim Omar, a spokesman for the U.S.-allied regional Kurdish leadership in north and east Syria, said the group included two women and six children. He said they were returned at the request of the U.S. government and based on their own desire to return "without any pressure or coercion."

(...)

"Several U.S. citizens, including young children, have been safely recovered from Syria and we are assisting them with repatriation to the United States," a U.S. State Department official told CBS News on Wednesday. The official added that the safety of U.S. citizens was the Department's "highest priority," and that it examined every claim of U.S. citizenship by a person in a conflict zone "on a case-by-case basis."

The official said the U.S. government would "continue to repatriate and, when appropriate, prosecute its citizens" brought home from war zones.

The State Department was aware of reports of a "small number of U.S. citizens present in camps in northeast Syria," the official said, noting the difficulty of handling such cases due to the lack of U.S. consular services in the country.

It is the second such repatriation from Syria. Earlier this year, an American woman and four children were returned to the U.S. ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:15 »
So, let's see what happens next here ...
The government has received requests for travel documents for five children of Canadian citizens whom experts say travelled to war-torn Syria to join the Islamic State and now want to come home.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada declined to say whether the Canadian parents of the children had onetime links to the Islamic State in Syria or what kind of travel documents were requested. However, extremism experts who communicate regularly with the Canadians in Syria confirmed the applications were for passports for five of 18 Canadian children overall trapped in the country.

“There is definitely movement on the ground in Canada with families moving to bring their kids back. Lawyers have been involved for some time, and these five kids, who are among the overall 18, will be the first of what is hopefully a broader effort to bring these children home,” said Amarnath Amarasingam, an assistant professor at Queen’s University who researches extremism.

The government has come under renewed pressure to repatriate the Canadian children, most of whom were born to Canadian women who travelled there to join the Islamic State. Mr. Amarasingam said the oldest child is 13, with the majority under 5; he has also identified nine Canadian women and six Canadian men trapped in two Kurdish-run camps in northeastern Syria.

In an interview Wednesday, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said that while the stories about children stuck in Syrian camps are “heart-rending,” the government can’t lose sight of the Canadian parents’ actions.

“That is the grossly irresponsible, dangerous and entirely reprehensible behaviour of parents and families that led to their kids being in such circumstances,” Mr. Goodale said.

(...)

Nancy Caron, a spokeswoman for the Immigration department, said the government is not aware of any Canadian passports or travel documents that have been issued to children of Canadian citizens who travelled to join the Islamic State and who are now unable to leave Syria. Canada has no diplomatic presence in Syria so applicants would have to travel to a mission or embassy in a neighbouring country to obtain a passport.

“Given the security situation on the ground, the Government of Canada’s ability to provide consular assistance in any part of Syria is extremely limited,” Ms. Caron said in an e-mail ...
More @ link

:pop:

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:44:44 »
This, from a Human Rights Watch report on conditions in holding camps in Kurdish-controlled Syria - highlights mine …
The Kurdish-led Autonomous Administration for northeast Syria is holding more than 11,000 foreign women and children related to Islamic State (also known as ISIS) suspects in appalling and sometimes deadly conditions in a locked desert camp in northeast Syria, Human Rights Watch said today. At least 7,000 of the children are under 12.

During three visits to the section of al-Hol camp holding foreign women and children in June 2019, Human Rights Watch found overflowing latrines, sewage trickling into tattered tents, and residents drinking wash water from tanks containing worms. Young children with skin rashes, emaciated limbs, and swollen bellies sifted through mounds of stinking garbage under a scorching sun or lay limp on tent floors, their bodies dusted with dirt and flies. Children are dying from acute diarrhea and flu-like infections, aid groups and camp managers said.

(…)

I thought, “Now I’ll be able to practice my religion and cover my face without being harassed the way I am at home.” I heard there was bombing and stuff but I didn’t think I’d be living under it. But then I got here [to Syria] and realized how dangerous it was. My husband became disillusioned, too. A year ago, we found a smuggler to take us out. We wanted to start over. But then Kurdish [SDF] forces took us.

• “Miriam” from Canada, mother of two children born in Syria, husband in SDF-controlled prison.

(…)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 12:02:08 »

I'd rather focus on getting clean water to certain communities, maybe deal with our homeless vets and make sure polar bears don't go extinct.

We have a such a long list of more important things....
Optio

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:07 »
joining a terror group should cancel your citizenship. Ditto for any offspring. But I agree providing help for the refugee's via the UN or other groups like doctors without borders and other similar groups.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 16:14:13 »
Elsewhere
Children of British Isis members stranded in Syria will not be allowed to return to the UK, the government has reportedly decided.

At least 30 British children are currently being held with their mothers in camps in northern Syria, after being detained as they fled the crumbling Isis caliphate.

The government has been under pressure to bring them home from the dangerous and overcrowded camps, both from local Syrian authorities and from the Trump administration. Earlier this year the infant son of Shamima Begum, the teenager who fled her home in Bethnal Green to join Isis, died weeks after arriving at one of the facilities.

The former foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt had said following the death that the government was working with the then international development secretary, Penny Mordaunt, on whether the children could be safely returned.

But Sajid Javid, the former home secretary, concluded after a review that it would be too dangerous to send officials to retrieve the children from Syria, according to The Times – despite the camps being regularly visited by British aid workers and journalists ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter