Author Topic: U.S. Army Releases Manuals in Audiobook Format  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
U.S. Army Releases Manuals in Audiobook Format
« on: July 06, 2019, 21:23:46 »
Nope, not Duffleblog or a remake of the Seinfeld episode ...
The US Army wants its soldiers to begin listening to its training materials, which, surprisingly, has never been an option before. In recent weeks, the Training and Doctrine Command’s Combined Arms Doctrine Directorate (CADD) has released audiobook versions of a pair of training manuals for the first time as part of an experiment to see if it’s an effective medium to spread information to soldiers across the force.

It’s part of a wider effort to overhaul and modernize how the Army conceptualizes and trains its forces and, in doing so, catch up to what a large segment of the publishing industry has already realized: audiobooks are increasingly popular.

CADD has a particularly important role within the Army: it’s responsible for developing and distributing Army doctrine — the documentation and reference for how the military operates, combining military theory, history, and best practices. In June, it announced that it was releasing its first audio training manual, FM 3-0, Operations, and this week, it’s joined by ADP 7-0, Training ...
If you're interested, FM 3-0 Operations audio chapters are downloadable here

I like listening to a well-read audio book or podcast, but I think this sort of thing might be a bit too densely written for the ear.  YMMV
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: U.S. Army Releases Manuals in Audiobook Format
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 15:49:23 »
Many manuals are somewhat cartoonish so an audio book might appeal to millinials. ;D

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 17:18:47 »
Many manuals are somewhat cartoonish . . .

Not a new phenomenon.  http://www.astrotx.com/M-16A1%20Rifle.pdf
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 18:02:33 »
Not a new phenomenon.  http://www.astrotx.com/M-16A1%20Rifle.pdf
While I wouldn't rely on that as an "official" version, at least I can see an attempt to craft new material in a way to appeal to more visual learners.  Reading a government briefing note into a podcast doesn't necessarily make the material more compelling.  Stuff has to be written for the ear to be best picked up by the ear.  Most government-ese?  Not so much.
Many manuals are somewhat cartoonish so an audio book might appeal to millinials. ;D
I hope that's not what they were thinking, considering the kinds of podcasts millenials are used to listening to that this would have to compete against  ;D
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 18:24:19 »
I like listening to a well-read audio book or podcast, but I think this sort of thing might be a bit too densely written for the ear.  YMMV
Not sure how the US manuals run, but could see this sort of thing being useful for listening to while doing hands-on training for e.g. maintenance and stoppage drills.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 19:16:28 »
While I wouldn't rely on that as an "official" version, . . . 

That was the "official" pam that was issued to soldiers back in the Vietnam era.

Not sure how the US manuals run, but could see this sort of thing being useful for listening to while doing hands-on training for e.g. maintenance and stoppage drills.

The two pubs that are referred to in the article are:

FM 3-0 Operations  https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=805076
and
ADP 7-0 Training  https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN12051_ADP%207-0%20FINAL%20WEB.pdf

While they are not restricted in use or study to specific ranks, I don't think you'll find many privates fresh out of basic using it as a reference.  However, if the intent is to provide a medium that officers and NCOs can easily access and "study" while commuting to work (a common practise for other professional and personal development subjects), it makes sense to provide an audio version. 
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Red shirted sea nerd reporting for the away team!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 19:47:05 »
Wow, that seems like really dry material to listen to; not sure I could listen to something like that without falling asleep at the wheel.  Worth a try I guess though, sure someone will use it. Curious if they rewrote portions of it so that it worked as an audiobook, as there seem to be a bunch of diagrams from what I saw via a brief skim of the print version.

Next step is publishing a ref like this as a wiki; great format to go from high level right down to the details with cross references for all the interrelated issues.  That takes a huge amount of work, but is extraordinarily helpful in figuring out how things work together, and easy to update incrementally as things change.

As an aside, like how their manuals, research papers, and all kinds of other information are publicly available. Their US DoD research results go back decades and do some pretty expensive and unique testing that no one else does, so resources like NiST are an awesome resource and actually drive the civilian market.